“A real country inn”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hunton B&B and Inns
london, uk
“A real country inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is a real inn with atmosphere and real locals in the bar in the evening. My room was clean and comfortable with full en-suite facilities, though it is worth noting that the rooms do vary - number 1 for instance is much better than number 3. You will get some noise till 11 pm when the bar empties(!), but after that it is quiet. The food is very good, imaginative and tasty, and well presented. That it is good is evidenced by the number of people that come there in the evening to eat. 'Mine host' Tony is friendly and cheerful and serves an excellent range of cask beers. It is very good value, and the final clincher is that it is well situated for the Yorkshire Dales and mid-way between Bedale and Richmond.

Room Tip: Ask for no.1
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank norman s
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2016
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay, the food and our real ales.

With regard to our rooms, all 4 have been refurbished to the same standard in terms of fixtures and fittings, so Rooms 1 and 3 are fitted with similar facilities. They vary in terms of size and a choice of en suite showers (room 3) and bath & shower (room 1). Room one is also larger with a sofa bed. These differences are reflected in the pricing. We are please, room 3, one of our less expensive rooms met your requirements.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Dales again in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I needed a place for the night at an hours notice and someone contacted The Countryman's Inn for me who said they had a room. The room was neat and had everything, the shower was excellent (I had walked over 20 miles on a warm day and needed it). I had a very good 3 course meal with really tasty fish and chips. The bed was very comfortable. It was peaceful and the atmosphere in the dining room and the bar was friendly and 'local'.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank William R
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this review, 14 June 2016
Thank you for staying with us and your subsequent review.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms comfortable and the food good! Add to that our Cask Mark beers and warm welcome and we hope we offer a good value package to our guests.

Thank you again for staying and sharing your positive expirience
Truro, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed at the Countrymans Inn from 16/5 - 18/5/13 for my nephews passing out parade, there were 5 of us staying. the rooms were superb..However, Tony the landlord was grumpy to say the least. We had specifically stated that after the passing out ceremony a number of 11-12 family members would be coming back to celebrate. Well we arrived back at 16.15 to find the pub closed. So we had to entertain our family in our room! We phoned Tony's mobile and could hear it ringing upstairs above our room, and still he didnt answer! When he finally came down @ 17.30 he was rude and insisted no-one had told him, by this time grandparents had to leave and they had wanted to celebrate with their grandson. We were very disapointed and let down to say the least. It just spoilt a lovely celebratory day. Needless to say we did not stay to celebrate, we took our business else where! The barmaid said Tony's bark was worse than his bite!!!! I would not go back there again...EVER. Also @ breakfast they kept running out of milk and brown sauce, and had to go over the shop for more supplies!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bethany43
TonyCountrymans, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
This review is not unexpected, but I would like to respond with a more complete version of the facts. I note from your review that several of the key elements are rated 5/5, one 3/5 & the relevant one of service 1/5 corresponding to your overall rating.

You will recall, but do not state in your review, that the normal opening time for the pub, both bar & restaurant is 17.30. As you point out this is the time I opened the pub, & the time you had booked your meal.

As I pointed out to you on the evening, you had not asked me directly if I would open the pub & communicated clearly I would have arranged for staff to be available to meet your request, just as wee did to accommodate your meal at 17.30 which you then cancelled. I accept that I could and in hindsight should have asked you at breakfast to confirm your request for the pub to be opened early for you. I regret not having done this.

From the later part of the evening which I was unfortunate enough to have to spend with your nephew (s) & daughter who it was obvious had all had a good time prior to returning to the pub. Your nephew explained several times to me & numerous of my other local customers that he had " joined the army that day" & indeed that he had joined the "f****** British army that day". You are aware of this because at one stage you came down having heard the noise he was making. I sincerely hope all goes well for him & that he is never posted to Catterick. If he is posted to Catterick I hope that your assurance not to return to my pub extends to your nephew.

I admit I was grumpy & should not have been. It was a direct consequence of me & my staff being taken for granted with an unpleasant attitude. I am happy that you will not visit again.
stockton on Tees
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

If your looking for a real Yorkshire experience with hospitality to boot then The Counrtyman is the place. Our short stay was complimented with a great selection of local beers and a great wine list. The restaurant provided a good varied menu with local produce and in particular local game that was cooked to perfection and served with a smile. Tony the Landlord could not do enough to make our stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. With many of the attractions that brought to the Yorkshire dales within easy reach it was the ideal place to stay and it certainly won't be the last!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2016
Thank you for staying and submitting your review. We are glad you enjoyed the Dales (we do!) and the food, beer and pub.

Thanks again.
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was a last-minute booking and I felt that, at £95 a night for a double room with breakfast, it was a bit pricey. However, as it met our other requirements - country village, parking and on-site restaurant - and we did not have much choice, we booked for three nights, hoping that the cost would be justified. The owner, Tony and staff were pleasant and the room was warm and comfortable, with a good, big en-suite. There was one 'Basil Fawlty' moment (Tony's words), when he showed our room to another couple, while we were out and left the door unlocked. They arrived (with key) to claim their room, just as we were changing for dinner, which could have been very embarassing! The meals in the restaurant were good, although the chef was on holiday and there were no specials, which meant the menu was restricted. The worst aspect was breakfast. The selection was poor. As I don't eat 'full English' (or Scottish, Irish or Welsh!), my choice was very limited. I had poached egg on toast the first morning and it can only be described as awful. I have to say it was disappointing and definitely not value for money, which is a pity because, with a bit of effort, it could be good.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sandra L
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this review, 9 June 2016
Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have liked.

I can assure you, we do put in " a bit of effort" which is recognised most of the time, by most of the reviews that are submitted.

I will try to put in "a bit of effort" in, even though in the majority of reviews guests seem to recognise this.

I do hope you have more choice next time you want to visit the Dales just in case I have not put enough effort in.

Thank you for staying, once.
Ilkley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I have just spent a last minute weekend break in the Bedale area. Chose the Countryman's Inn based to a large extent on reviews. We have had such a great weekend that we feel compelled to share our experience. Tony the landlord is a very dry "stick" but extremely welcoming and attentive as are the rest of his staff. The food in the restaurant is very good to the extent that we ate there both evenings- not cordon bleu, but there again neither were the prices. We booked a superior double (Room 1) and could not fault it- very comfortable, very clean and the ensuite bathroom was of a very high standard.
Would definitely recommend the Countryman's and will almost certainly return if we find ourselves back in that neck of the woods.

Room Tip: Cannot comment on other rooms but we chose the superior double (Room 1), which was more expensive (a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick B
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this review, 21 June 2016
Thank you for staying with us and your subsequent review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We try to be only what we are, a traditional village pub, providing rooms and good pub grub. We are glad we met your needs during your recent visit to The Dales.

We hope to see you both again in the not too distant future.
Banbury
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We booked the family room for 2 nights (Mon/Tue). We originally arrived at midday, the pub was closed and the sign said that they would be open at 6pm, so went away and returned later in the day. The owner was very pleasant and showed us to our room, which initially appeared OK and as described. We went to the bar to sample the real ale and asked if we could book a table for dinner.We were told that the pub doesn't do food on Monday or Tuesday evening and we'd have to go elsewhere. This was very disappointing as we had booked this particular pub so that we could relax in the bar with good food and beer at the end of each day. However, we had to drive out to Richmond on both nights to eat and I couldn't have a drink as I was driving.
On returning to the room, the sofa bed had been made up by a member of staff. One of the sheets had a large brown stain on it (not nice). Also our bedding had an unpleasant musty smell.

We are a family of veggies and had enquired when booking if they could prepare veggie breakfasts for us... On arrival for breakfast the first morning, we noticed that the tablecloth was dirty with stains and crumbs and some of the crockery was not clean. When asked what we wanted for breakfast, we asked if they could do a cooked veggie breakfast and the lady looked at us with her mouth wide open...and eventually said "How about scrambled egg and beans?" Now when you are paying £110 a night for B&B, you want a little more than scrambled egg & beans, we eventually agreed that she would prepare us some tomatoes, mushrooms and toast.
When the breakfast arrived, the watery scrambled egg was sitting on top of rather moist slice of toast,there was half a plateful of beans, half a semi-fried tomato and about 4 of the tiniest shrivelled up mushrooms that looked like they had been pulled out of the kitchen compost bin. The coffee was served in a cafetiere with a filter that let all the grouts through and the jug of milk had some kind of sauce down the side. The second morning, we went to breakfast at 8am and the pub was in darkness and they didn't arrive to set up until nearly 8.30am. The table cloth was the same from yesterday and was even dirtier than the day before and the breakfast was no better.

I feel that the owner is missing a trick here,as he has a very nice pub in a lovely location. On both Monday & Tuesday nights all four rooms were full and he wasn't serving food. So that was four families that had to drive elsewhere to eat and drink. We were there for 2 nights and only had one drink in the pub. I'm quite sure if we had eaten there, we would have had several drinks each on both nights and spent a significant amount on food. (We spent around £70 each night at a restaurant in Richmond).
Dirty tablecloths and crockery are a no-no in my book and this should rectified at once (there were also quite a few flies in the bar). If the pub website says they cater for vegetarians, then they should cater for vegetarians and above all make sure that the bedding in the rooms is clean. Sorry for the negative review, but our visit could have been so much better.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank UKtravalator
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this review, 25 June 2016
Thank you for staying with us on this occasion.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have liked. It is obvious you will not stay again, but I will respond to some of your specific comments as far as I can. None of these issues were raised at the time of your stay. Had they been raised at that time . If they had I would have done my best to address them as best I could. I am not sure this would have met your expectations.

Specifically : The restaurant opening times were displayed on the website. The restaurant is now open 6 evenings per week and from midday to 18.00 on Sundays.

I cannot comment on the bedding or table clothes as they were not raised at the time.

I accept that you were disappointed with your stay and can only offer our apologies in retrospect as you chose to raise nothing at the time but to submit it to TripAdvisor.
When given constructive, valid and contemporary feedback we try very hard to strive to improve. This is reflected in our overall TripAdvisor and Booking.com reviews which have reflected this general improvement over the last 5 years.

Good luck in your search for the perfect vegetarian pub/B&B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunton
The White Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Finghall
Greyhound Inn
Greyhound Inn
#4 of 14 in Bedale

Been to Countryman's Inn? Share your experiences!