Countryman's Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
The Blue Lion(East Witton)
A66 Motel(Richmond)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubcountry villagefriendly localsdog friendly pubwarm welcomesuite bathroomb bcatterick garrisonenjoyed our staybreakfast was freshly cookedwe booked a family roomperfect retreatforbidden cornerlovely mealpretty villageyorkshire dalespower shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Booked for an early start at a racehorse trainer at Middleham, we were given a large comfortable twin bedded room with excellent facilities called the Jack Berry Room. The room and much of the inn had a horseracing theme. The evening meal was good quality (lamb chops/sirloin steak) with friendly service. We had a walk around the quiet village afterwards. There was some noise from the bar until around 11:15 but we both had a good night's sleep. We had asked for an early breakfast and when we came down they were still setting tables but the breakfast was one of the best we've had.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin J
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2016

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and your kind review. As you are aware we are situated in Lower Wensleydale, midway between the A1 and Middleham, ideal for visiting the gallops at Middleham or our two other local trainers at Constable Burton (Anne Duffield) and Hackforth (Phil Kirby).

As you are aware we are truly a village pub and as such are an integral part of our community and used by the locals as well as visitors. We are glad that the pub being busy until 11.15pm and the need to set up for your requested early breakfast did not detract from your stay.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is a real inn with atmosphere and real locals in the bar in the evening. My room was clean and comfortable with full en-suite facilities, though it is worth noting that the rooms do vary - number 1 for instance is much better than number 3. You will get some noise till 11 pm when the bar empties(!), but after that it is quiet. The food is very good, imaginative and tasty, and well presented. That it is good is evidenced by the number of people that come there in the evening to eat. 'Mine host' Tony is friendly and cheerful and serves an excellent range of cask beers. It is very good value, and the final clincher is that it is well situated for the Yorkshire Dales and mid-way between Bedale and Richmond.

Room Tip: Ask for no.1
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank norman s
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2016

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay, the food and our real ales.

With regard to our rooms, all 4 have been refurbished to the same standard in terms of fixtures and fittings, so Rooms 1 and 3 are fitted with similar facilities. They vary in terms of size and a choice of en suite showers (room 3) and bath & shower (room 1). Room one is also larger with a sofa bed. These differences are reflected in the pricing. We are please, room 3, one of our less expensive rooms met your requirements.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Dales again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I needed a place for the night at an hours notice and someone contacted The Countryman's Inn for me who said they had a room. The room was neat and had everything, the shower was excellent (I had walked over 20 miles on a warm day and needed it). I had a very good 3 course meal with really tasty fish and chips. The bed was very comfortable. It was peaceful and the atmosphere in the dining room and the bar was friendly and 'local'.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank William R
Tony J, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2016

Thank you for staying with us and your subsequent review.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms comfortable and the food good! Add to that our Cask Mark beers and warm welcome and we hope we offer a good value package to our guests.

Thank you again for staying and sharing your positive expirience

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed at the Countrymans Inn from 16/5 - 18/5/13 for my nephews passing out parade, there were 5 of us staying. the rooms were superb..However, Tony the landlord was grumpy to say the least. We had specifically stated that after the passing out ceremony a number of 11-12 family members would be coming back to celebrate. Well we arrived back at 16.15 to find the pub closed. So we had to entertain our family in our room! We phoned Tony's mobile and could hear it ringing upstairs above our room, and still he didnt answer! When he finally came down @ 17.30 he was rude and insisted no-one had told him, by this time grandparents had to leave and they had wanted to celebrate with their grandson. We were very disapointed and let down to say the least. It just spoilt a lovely celebratory day. Needless to say we did not stay to celebrate, we took our business else where! The barmaid said Tony's bark was worse than his bite!!!! I would not go back there again...EVER. Also @ breakfast they kept running out of milk and brown sauce, and had to go over the shop for more supplies!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bethany43
TonyCountrymans, Owner at Countryman's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

This review is not unexpected, but I would like to respond with a more complete version of the facts. I note from your review that several of the key elements are rated 5/5, one 3/5 & the relevant one of service 1/5 corresponding to your overall rating.

You will recall, but do not state in your review, that the normal opening time for the pub, both bar & restaurant is 17.30. As you point out this is the time I opened the pub, & the time you had booked your meal.

As I pointed out to you on the evening, you had not asked me directly if I would open the pub & communicated clearly I would have arranged for staff to be available to meet your request, just as wee did to accommodate your meal at 17.30 which you then cancelled. I accept that I could and in hindsight should have asked you at breakfast to confirm your request for the pub to be opened early for you. I regret not having done this.

From the later part of the evening which I was unfortunate enough to have to spend with your nephew (s) & daughter who it was obvious had all had a good time prior to returning to the pub. Your nephew explained several times to me & numerous of my other local customers that he had " joined the army that day" & indeed that he had joined the "f****** British army that day". You are aware of this because at one stage you came down having heard the noise he was making. I sincerely hope all goes well for him & that he is never posted to Catterick. If he is posted to Catterick I hope that your assurance not to return to my pub extends to your nephew.

I admit I was grumpy & should not have been. It was a direct consequence of me & my staff being taken for granted with an unpleasant attitude. I am happy that you will not visit again.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

If your looking for a real Yorkshire experience with hospitality to boot then The Counrtyman is the place. Our short stay was complimented with a great selection of local beers and a great wine list. The restaurant provided a good varied menu with local produce and in particular local game that was cooked to perfection and served with a smile. Tony the Landlord could not do enough to make our stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. With many of the attractions that brought to the Yorkshire dales within easy reach it was the ideal place to stay and it certainly won't be the last!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying and submitting your review. We are glad you enjoyed the Dales (we do!) and the food, beer and pub.

Thanks again.