“Enjoyable stay”
Review of The Godstone Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Godstone
The Godstone Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Godstone B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here to attend a birthday lunch. Our room was motel style and very easy to park outside. It was comfortable, clean and well appointed. The food was excellent with very attentive staff serving. The restaurant seemed to be very popular with local people.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We have stayed before at the hotel, and were disappointed then, but the room we had at the weekend, was dusty - cobwebs around the rooms, the radiator in the bathroom was filthy, the shower took ages to come through warm water, and the bathroom was full of mould. The carpet into the dining room was filthy and full of bits, and the breakfast something to be desired. I am amazed of all the reports on this hotel, that they never seem to improve, hygeine , cleanliness and overall standards. Do they not want anyone to return to the hotel? It is the only hotel in Goldstone and is very convenient for us, and if there were any other hotel, please be assured we would not stay here - appauling for the money.

Room Tip: No good rooms, pot luck to find a clean one!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TJGBarnsley
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The room we had was well below average. It was dingy, dusty, dated and very small. The bed was tiny, and the bathroom was a dissapointment. The shower was so small, you could hardly turn in it.
On top af that, the shower controls were ineffective and you were either icy cold or nearly scalded.
Dust was a non-optional coating over most surfaces.
We were attending a wedding and had a choice of several hotels, we chose this one for convenience and the look of the property on the web site. The better and cheaper choice would have been the Premier Inn which is 10 minutes away.
I have read a few reports saying the breakfast was poor, in all fairness, it was not the cooked breakfast that I would have liked, but the selection of juices, cereals, fresh fruit, ham, cheese, toast, preserves and muffins was more than adequate.
We did not use the dinning room, on first glance this looked pleaseant and the menu appeared good value.
Sadly due to the quality of the accomodation we will never use this hotel again. It could be super but desperatley needs major investment.

Room Tip: For a good nights sleep, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

we were aware that the building was old but had no idea just how old! The 7 bedrooms are in an outhouse, probbly old stables or staff quarters. The staff were lovely, but we were disappointed with the rooms. While they were old and very small, they were also not so clean. only single or double beds, no queens and the beds were uncomfortable. My sister had to ask the cleaner to remove the mould from her bathroom which she did with a ton of bleach and went to do ours - we stopped her just in time as i react violently to any bleach. The fittings were old includig an old wardrobe in which i would not hang anything; old furniture; nowhere to put your suitcase on so it has to sit on the floor; old bathroom fittings which were smelly, tiles coming off etc. We thought the rooms were very overpriced for what you got compared to other accommodation. Small continental breakfast in dining room where some of the ceiling was coming down. We understand that the building is heritage listed and the restaurant has an excellent name, but i could not recommend the accommodation and would not stay again. Godstone is a very pretty little village with pond and green

Room Tip: the rooms with the single beds may be more comfortable?
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Nothing appallingly wrong with the hotel side of this place, it says it’s a three star and just about lives up to the rating but I tend to agree with a lot of the earlier reviews giving it only an average rating.

The rooms, or at least those I saw, are in outbuildings, I guess there are some in the main building as well. The one I was in was clean though refurbishment would not have gone amiss. The beds were clean and comfortable and the bathroom adequate, the shower was great and certainly got one very wet.

The one problem though was the thickness of the walls; paper thin is a fair description. A chap in the next room had a long conversation on his phone and luckily he was speaking a language I do not understand or I would have been able to join in, I could hear every word as if he was standing next to me! Good job he was alone and only talking or it could have been embarrassing.

A continental breakfast is included in the price and frankly it was pretty disappointing. Cold chewy croissants, slices of one type of cheese and some ham plus the normal cereals etc is, to my mind, a token effort. I know times are hard but!!

The room was £75.00 which I guess is just about OK for the outer London area, a proper breakfast would have made it better value for money. Would I go back? Not to the hotel but I would to the restaurant. (See review of ‘The Coach-House Restaurant’)

The owner (?) does not get in until 10 in the morning so complaining about anything, as another guest was trying to do, was a tad of a struggle, her room smelt of mould but she did eventually get it changed. A Canadian visitor who might go away with a poor impression of UK hotels!

The place obviously gets a fair number of incoming transatlantic travelers being just up the road from Gatwick but I did not meet a single English member of staff, perhaps not the impression of Merry England our tourist board would hope for.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoodieOswestry
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

The rooms in this hotel varies dramatically. Stayed here in July 2013 with 10 other people. Each of our rooms were very different. One was great, newly painted and new bathroom. Our room was very dated and the bathroom was poor. The shower was old and stuttered for water. Our room was loud as the delivery trucks came every morning at 6.30am. The continental breakfast is free, but they do not tell you this, so make sure you make use of it. The area is average, with a nice pub opposite but not much to the little town. The price is expensive for what you get. I'm sure there are better options in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ExpatNZers
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We booked the last available room of only ten at this property at very short notice and found it perfectly adequate for our one night stay. The setting was lovely and the staff were competent. We can't comment on the restaurant but the continental breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to The Godstone Hotel? Share your experiences!