“School report "Could do Better ! "”
Review of Tregarthen's Hotel

and 1 more site!
Tregarthen's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hugh Town
Malvern, England
“School report "Could do Better ! "”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked a 4 night break - and must commend the reservation staff for efficiently arranging our flights and rail tickets. We were surprised at having to pay an extra £15 for the return minibus from the airport when the website said it would be a small sum - and the hotel up the road arranges it's own transfers.
Our "upgraded seaview" double room was a big disappointment.There was a lovely seaview across to the islands of Tresco and Bryher but ourtide the window the flat roof was covered in weeds. The room should be described as a large single because it was very small. The very small TV mounted on the wall was at right-angles to the bed and behind the two comfy chairs provided ! (Even Premier Inns don't have such small TVS !!) Our comment to reception about the inability to see the TV resulted in the bed being turned through 90 degrees the next day.
There was also a cleanliness issue - despite the fact we saw a Henry in the corridor, debris on the carpet was never vacuumed up and we had to clean the toilet ourselves. The duvet cover was a complete mess and had obviously never been ironed.
The restaurant is excellent with lovely views across the harbour from every table. The food too was excellent as were the waiting staff. Breakfast food was very good, although the fresh fruit salad was mostly apple with one or two other fruits here and there. But the toast was very good from uncut bread. Again the waiting staff were commendable, although they only removed the menus from tables on 2 of our 4 days (this indicates to the staff which tables have been attended to). We also had a food issue at one of our lunches which was swiftly dealt with, although not in a very generous way. We should admit to having been hotel inspectors for 5 years with one of the prestigious hotel guides and we are therefore aware of what should be good hotel practice when guests have issues especially when the hotel in an expensive top end establishment..
A final word of praise for the staff who were all very friendly and helpful throughout.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank thewellcomegroup
Tregarthens H, General Manager at Tregarthen's Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Tregarthen’s Hotel, we value all of the feedback we receive.

We are glad you found our reservations process to be commendable and efficient, we endeavour to make all possible arrangements for our customers and are glad you found this to be the case. We advertise that there will be a shuttle available from the airport at a small fee, £3.50 per person. Whilst the 4* establishment, Star Castle, arranges these transfers we support the local business and have never had any customers mention that £3.50 per person, per journey, is in any way a large cost.

I am sad to hear that you were disappointed with your bedroom, Room 17. I am certainly disappointed that your expectations differ so much from that of other customers which have stayed in this bedroom, one of which features in our Trip Advisor 'room tips'; lovely comments, not that their sea views were impaired in any way:-

“Rooms 16 and 17 have a great sea views and are quiet and cool.” (ShirleyDene)

I am sorry that you did not speak to anyone during your stay about your disappointment with the bedroom, we would have welcomed the opportunity to try and offer you alternative accommodation. Having had so many lovely comments about Room 17, we would not have thought to move you unless asked.

The only comment you made to our Front of House Manager regarding your room was that the Television was not in a position that you were able to watch it from the bed. We moved the beds, on your request, immediately to face the television. This is not something that we have ever had guests make comments about before but we were of course delighted to fulfil this request, we were especially pleased we did so as you came to the desk to specifically thank us greatly for this change in your furniture.

Our comfy chairs are normally positioned to face the television though they are frequently moved to the window as many guests prefer to watch the view than the television, our housekeeping team obviously forgot or perhaps did not think to move these back. I am sorry that you felt that these too were in an incorrect position, we would have been happy to move them.

The linen at the hotel is always ironed, though this is done by hand and perhaps was not to the appropriate standard on your arrival, I shall certainly be looking into this to prevent a recurrence, I thank you greatly for bringing this to my attention.

I can only apologise that you felt inconvenienced by the menus at breakfast not always being removed from your table in the morning. As I am sure you can understand, this is not a standard practice among hotels in general, just a way in which some work, this means that some staff who are in their first season with us do not work this way, they manage their own sections how they feel best. I am pleased to hear that you felt your service was not affected and that you found our staff, again, to be excellent and commendable.

There was only one other problem you made us aware of; your small food issue at one of your lunches. We ensured that you were not charged for this lunch and on top of this were given the same value food credit towards another meal, which you expressed your gratitude for, I am sad to hear that you felt we did not deal with this problem in a generous way.

The price you paid of £80.00 per person per night including full English breakfast, complimentary sea view upgrade, an allocation of £35.00 per person towards evening meals and £20.00 per person towards lunches was a special summer offer which we feel provides very good value for money, we are sorry to hear that you do not feel that this is the case.

The title of your review is, of course, a mantra that all hotels follow; we strive to exceed all of our customers expectations and although we are unable to please everyone all of the time we do hope to continually improve and please the majority of people the majority of the time, I am glad we achieved this for you.

Whilst you may not wish to stay with us at Tregarthen's again, I very much hope that you continue to visit our magical islands and all that they have to offer. However, if we can ever be of assistance to you in the future I hope that you will contact me personally.

Carina Luscombe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This hotel is well positioned but old fashioned and in need of serious updating. The room we were given was small and none too clean, and not up to the price paid. Just to be clear there WAS mould in the room and on the bathroom window which the Manager MUST be aware of - but just in case I have uploaded a picture. If this is considered "luxurious" what on earth must your standard of living be? I brought all of this to the attention of the Manager who said she would write to me - I have heard nothing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank S P
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Tregarthen’s Hotel, we very much appreciate receiving your feedback.

Firstly, please let me apologise for having not written to you after our telephone conversation. The review by Tallulatrixiebelle ‘Lovely staff shame about the room’ was written on 12/06/14, just after our conversation. I had incorrectly thought, having commented about exactly what we discussed, that this person was you and that replying to this post and then writing a letter would be repetitive. I realise now that this would have been the lady with whom you shared the twin bedroom. Your companion scored the exact same room and visit 3/5 in fact, highlighting how personal opinion can so greatly differ.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your bedroom, Room 27. I am certainly disappointed that your expectations differ so much from that of other customers which have stayed in this bedroom, one of which features in our Trip Advisor 'room tips':-

“We were given a very comfortable room with a good sea view, Room 27 on the second floor, but, it does mean there are a few stairs to negotiate.” (Goodie025)

Having booked through Bookings.com, where we only sell our standard bedrooms, we were delighted to have the available bedrooms in order to upgrade you, on a complimentary basis, to a sea view room. At £80.00 per person to include, in your words, a 'very large and lovely continental breakfast selection' we feel that this provides good value for money on a bedroom normally costing £130.00 per person. We are sad to hear that you did not feel this way.

Your photograph of the bathroom window does indeed make it look terrible. I would suggest though that the proximity to the window at which this was taken makes this photo very misleading. I have taken, and uploaded today, a photo from a few steps away (Room 27 Bathroom Window) which shows the how small the dent, included in your photo, actually is and how exaggerated your photo has the ability to make things look.

The window frames are wooden and being in the bathroom suffer from condensation. Cracks and a small amount of residue can certainly occur if guests do not wish to have the window open during their stay. Our maintenance team work very hard in the winter months to ensure that the hotel is in a good state of repair for our guests at the beginning of the season. As you can imagine in a hotel of this size maintenance is an on-going programme and I thank you for bringing these things to my attention.

I am sorry that you did not speak to anyone during your stay about your disappointment with the bedroom, we would have welcomed the opportunity to try and offer you alternative accommodation. Having had so many lovely comments about Room 27, we would not have thought to move you unless asked.

I certainly appreciate your concerns about my standard of living but am pleased to be able to reassure you that I am very well taken care of. No person living on these islands with such glorious surroundings can fail to be anything but happy.

south island
Reviewed 1 July 2014

thank you to everyone at tregarvons - it was a very good place to stay on st.mary's. the restaurant was not for us but the bar and outside seating was great for drinks. the rooms were light and comfortable, good value and all of the staff were fantastic. thank you so much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bakamuna
Tregarthens H, General Manager at Tregarthen's Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Tregarthen's Hotel.

We are very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us, that you found our bedrooms to be of a good standard and value.

We very much hope to be able to welcome you back to Tregarthen's in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from our amazing wedding on the islands where we, and many of our guests, stayed at Tregarthens. Our room, the Porthloo suite, was part of a prize we won in a wedding competition. The staff were very apologetic that it did not have much of a sea view but that really did not matter, every other inch of the hotel and the island does! Comfy, clean and well presented room - with a bath and good shower and a great little sitting room that was helpful for chatting to guests and storing all our stuff. Our friends and family elsewhere in the hotel also reported back on comfy, spacious and clean rooms, mostly with great views. Only downside was the wifi access was very poor but that seemed to be the case just about everywhere on the island. Breakfast was also a bit limited especially for me as I'm vegetarian but I probably should have asked as the staff were amazingly helpful. Great time, very memorable. Do have a crab sandwich and glass of prosecco out on the sun deck on a lovely day. Thank you for the happy memories.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shedly
Tregarthens H, General Manager at Tregarthen's Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
We very much appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at Tregarthen's Hotel.

It is lovely to hear that you had a lovely wedding and that we were able to be such a positive influence on your special day, all of the team were pleased to be a part of such a lovely event.

I am glad to hear that you found us to be helpful and accommodating. We certainly do wish you had mentioned that you were a vegetarian, we have many options which were certainly available to you, perhaps next time!

Thank you for your lovely comments, we are glad to be part of your happy memories and hope to see you making more at Tregarthen's Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Huge thanks to Tregarthens, especially the awesome Jessica Seller who helped us SO much over the last few months as we planned and held our wedding celebrations in the hotel. We won a few nights in the hotel for ourselves as part of a wedding prize but ended up with loads of family staying there and holding our wedding dinner in the hotel's fabulous viewed conservatory. Feeding 30 fussy friends and family should have been a challenge but Tregarthens rose to it extraordinarily well. Every dish was delicious from the crab tiane, to the kids fish goujons, lemon brûlée tart to pork belly... At breakfast time Jessica even managed to magically procure a box if Cheerios to make our US guests feel at home. Thank you so much. Thoroughly recommend the hotel for any kind of celebration and Jessica is your woman for the planning!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
We very much appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

It is lovely to hear such wonderful feedback with regards to your special occasion, one which we were all very proud and pleased to be a part of. We are glad to hear that your big day was everything you had hoped it would be and more.

We very much hope to welcome you back to Tregarthen's Hotel again in the future.

ridgewood
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 3days and attended a wedding at the hotel. The staff were wonderful, accommodating in every way even shopping for my preferred breakfast cereal...

The wedding was wonderful. Would recommend this hotel to everyone and will be back ourselves.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jorggiestravel
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Tregarthen's Hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you had a lovely time and felt looked after. We are also very happy to hear that your experience was so positive that you would recommend us and will indeed return!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Tregarthen's in the future!

Torquay
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at Tregarthens as we were attending a wedding on the Island - which turned out to be at the same hotel. We stayed for one night. Our room was for two adults and a toddler, the room was spacious and came equipped with a travel cot that was of high quality and had nice bedding. On checking in the staff were really friendly and helpful and that was a theme of our stay, nothing was too much trouble. We ate twice in the bar and also for the wedding meal. The bar food was high quality - the Tiger prawns, burger and salad were all fantastic. The wedding catering was also done really well - i'm not usually a fish person, but the crab starter and fillet of sea bass were great. Our room had a view of the harbour and beach, and there is a nice view from the hotel terrace.

I've given this hotel "Excellent" but its worth qualifying my thought process - I'm realistic in my expectations and tend to cut my cloth and rate accordingly, this is a small family run hotel on an Island 20 miles away from the mainland - it doesn't have power showers or superfast wi-fi in every room, but what it does have is friendly helpful staff and values of a well run family owned hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dpbeaton
Tregarthens H, General Manager at Tregarthen's Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Tregarthen's Hotel.

We are delighted to receive such lovely feedback with regards to our staff, the atmosphere and food, we strive to provide exactly this and are happy to hear that we achieved this for you.

It is lovely to hear your expectations were met and that you had a lovely holiday including your special wedding event, we were proud to be a part of such a special day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hugh Town
#1 of 2 in Hugh Town
Colossus
Colossus
#8 of 36 in St Mary's

Been to Tregarthen's Hotel? Share your experiences!