“A favourite place for lunch”
Review of Stables Groomsport

Stables Groomsport
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Groomsport
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 October 2017

When in North Down we always go to the Stables for lunch and are never disappointed. Visited yesterday and decided to have the lamb and specifically requested mint sauce which usually accompanies lamb..
This was accepted without question but when the meal arrived ,no mint sauce. Reminded the waiter who said he would get it for me. There was a delay and to avoid the food getting too cold I started to eat only to be told after some delay that they did not have mint sauce. The lamb was well cooked but without sauce we found it rather bland. I accept that this is not a major criticism but just a reminder to the restaurant that they should not promise and take an order for something they cannot deliver.
It will not stop us returning however.

2  Thank LiamBelfast1

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Family gathering 29 of us for lunch today, a big thanks for the delicious lunch thoroughly enjoyed by all and excellent service too. We were in the conservatory which is really lovely for a family party which overlooks the sea. We had a fantastic afternoon and would highly recommend.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Was asked out a last minute lunch. Decided on try out the stables for a change. I had chicken and bacon stack. And my brother had roast beef both where superb and I would all so like to say that both the waiters where on top off there. Will definitely be back very soon 5 star food and 5 star service

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Attended the restaurant with 17 family members to have dinner. Staff were really attentive however found the food not to be of great quality. The mixed grill was probably the worse I have ever had. The cut of beef was rubbery, the liver was tough and sausages were ones you would find at a greasy spoon diner not a restaurants. Only a suggestion to Paul,buy your sausages locally from a butchers where you know the quality of his produce, use good quality beef, chicken, and calves liver, add black pudding, fried egg or duck egg, get rid of the ribs as they were dry and had no taste. Honestly would pay extra for quality food but found the mixed grill to be worth no more than about 7.50 GBP, and found that you were using an inferior product to save on cost. You have a fantastic restaurant and a great location, but I can see why at 10:00pm the place was empty.

April T, Manager at Stables Groomsport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Hi Mark

As a former employee of the Stables, I am disappointed that you felt that you had to post this review on TripAdvisor.
I can assure you that all of our produce is locally sourced and of good quality. Crosskey Meats were our suppliers when you were employed here and they are still our suppliers now.
On the evening that you were with us, your table was checked and we were assured that everyone was very happy and having a fabulous time.
We definitely welcome constructive criticism but would prefer any negative comments to be brought to our attention on the evening. If we had known that you were not happy with your mixed grill, we would have endeavoured to do everything we could to make it perfect for you and ensure that you left happy.
I appreciate that you live in Canada but I understand that your family are regular customers of mine, and I hope that this does not deter them from frequenting any of our establishments.

Paul O'Kane
Proprietor

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

The Stables Restaurant is only a stones throw from our house and has been a firm favourite for over 30 years through all its various owners. We eat there quite often and not just because it's convenient but we like the food and the atmosphere. A good and varied menu catering for all tastes including vegetarian.