Having spent time in more than 100 countries in 40 years of travel, I have spent more nights in hotels than I can remember. With very little down time I have rarely written a review of any place I’ve stayed. However, now that I’ve returned from a week in Antigua I feel compelled to declare that ReefView Apartments in Cades Bay is my favorite lodging.
Since my wife and I are avid snorkelers the fact that ReefView is on the best coral reef in Antigua was a real draw for us. From our veranda on the second floor apartment we could watch the sun set each night beside the smoking volcano on the distant island of Montserrat. In the mornings we would eat breakfast outside on the veranda as we watched the humming birds in the colorful flower gardens below.
The apartment was spacious, clean, and very well equipped. The owners, Karoll and Nick are obviously a bit obsessive about cleanliness. Although the apartments are not brand-new, they certainly looked like it. The kitchen was fully equipped and every towel, sheet, appliance and piece of furniture in the apartment was in perfect condition and spotless.
However, the best thing about staying at ReefView is the personal attention you receive. We were met at the airport by Karoll and given a guided tour of the island on the way to our lodging in Cades Bay. After settling in, Karoll and Nick hosted a delicious barbecue dinner just for us. The next morning Nick came to our apartment, map in hand, to give us a detailed orientation of Antigua. They also arranged for a rental car to be dropped off at our door the next day. They have an open-door policy, telling you to feel free to interrupt them with questions any time of day. During our stay we needed to make a few phones calls and they allowed us to use their office phone to avoid large bills on our foreign cell phones.
There are no famous “must-see” sights on Antigua but the island makes up for that with its people. All over the island the people were remarkably friendly and went out of their way to ask what they could do to make our trip more enjoyable. Our favorite day of the trip involved an excursion to the nearby sparsely inhabited and largely undeveloped sister island of Barbuda. I imagine that Barbuda is the way the rest of the Caribbean was 75 years ago.
If you want to visit World Heritage Sites or Wonders of the World choose a different destination, but if you want to be among cheerful, friendly people, pleasant scenery, and stroll along miles of beautiful beaches then I recommend Antigua and ReefView Apartments.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ReefView Apartments consist of three unique and fully equipped self catering holiday/vacation homes - each with full bathroom and kitchen - set in lush tropical gardens affording spectacular panoramic views of Antigua's famous Cades Reef just 1 mile offshore as well as neighbouring islands of Montserrat, Guadeloupe and Redonda. ReefView Apartments is located on the shores of the Cades Bay Marine Reserve in a quiet residential hamlet - just 100m from a long deserted sandy beach, fringed with coconut palms, with walk in snorkeling available right off the beach. The shallows flats which front the apartments for miles in each direction are also a haven for sports fishermen - offering shots at hard fighting game species such as tarpon, permit, snook, snapper and barracuda - to name but a few.... Ideal for independent travelers, who enjoy long beach walks in beautiful natural surroundings, exploring the many interesting facets of Antigua's history and geography and immersing themselves in the local culture to provide an experience far removed from the generic experience offered by most other resorts. Owned and operated by long time Antigua residents - Karoll and Nick Williams - we are always on hand to help you get orientated and to know THE REAL ANTIGUA!!! We very much look forward to welcoming you to our little piece of paradise - down by the sea..... ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reefview Apartments Hotel Cades Bay
- Reef View Apartments Antigua
- Reef View Apartments Hotel Antigua
- ReefView Apartments Antigua/Cades Bay