I found Reefview aka Karoll and Nick's through tripadvisor, based on the fact they were rate number 1 for budget travelers. Over the past 5 months I emailed back and forth with Karoll about all the details. She was always there to answer any questions needed. They do no accept credit cards so all the payments had to be sent via wire transfer, which I was wary of first, but it all worked out in the end.
Upon arriving to Antigua, we were picked up at the airport promptly by Karoll, we drove through the rainforest and had the chance to stop at local fruit and veggie stands being it was sunday and most markets were closed. When we arrived to the village where reefview was Karoll drove us a round the village, to check everything out. I will say that this apt close to the cades bay reef really is among the village of antigians, you're not going to a resort. For my boyfriend and I this is what we wanted, to see and experience Caribbean life...so dont be surprised. The apartment itself as gorgeous well kept an clean....we also went on a beach walk where Karoll showed us all the sea treasures along the way, in the Cades bay beach. Again this isnt you white sand beach but it is truly the "nursery of life" with conch, shells, star fish, and eels too. It is nice to walk around and even go snorkeling but sometimes hard to to walk out to depending on the tide. Nick gives a great orientation about all the beautiful beaches and restaurants around the area. We saw outrageous beaches 5 minutes away via the local bus which was great and cheap.Make sure to check out Turners and Darkwood gorgeous white sand beaches and easily accessible snorkeling. We had a great dinner with them the first night with fresh fish and clean cooking ( do the welcome BBq). We opted to rent a car the last couple nights there and it was easily organized by Karoll. She organized reservations for us and was very knowledgeable about what and where to go.Nick was also very sweet and gave lots of great help too. It was truly a great experience vs. staying at a hotel or resort because we got to check out all different parts of the island and felt like we truly had a home away from home.I also suggest to a snorkel excursion with them the snorkeling is great and the personalize it, they also took us to a spot with sand dollars,and starrfish which was awesome. Do check out Chappy's a great authentic CAribbean restaurant
These were the issues we had though, the bugs ( mosquitos) were OUT OF CONTROL!!!!For the 1st few nights I was being eaten to death, although due to the recent rain this is to be expected...maybe an orientation on how the protect your apartment would have been good...make sure you use the mosquito coils and spray with bug spray and dusk and the rest of the night especially before bed.Also everything is highly taxed in Antigua and Karoll makes sure you understand this, which sometimes was awkward. It also there house too, so sometimes it is awkward to feel like your bothering them ( for questions about the area ) but most of the time they were very approachable. Overall it was good experience,because we wanted a more independent and authentic vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ReefView Apartments consist of three unique and fully equipped self catering holiday/vacation homes - each with full bathroom and kitchen - set in lush tropical gardens affording spectacular panoramic views of Antigua's famous Cades Reef just 1 mile offshore as well as neighbouring islands of Montserrat, Guadeloupe and Redonda. ReefView Apartments is located on the shores of the Cades Bay Marine Reserve in a quiet residential hamlet - just 100m from a long deserted sandy beach, fringed with coconut palms, with walk in snorkeling available right off the beach. The shallows flats which front the apartments for miles in each direction are also a haven for sports fishermen - offering shots at hard fighting game species such as tarpon, permit, snook, snapper and barracuda - to name but a few.... Ideal for independent travelers, who enjoy long beach walks in beautiful natural surroundings, exploring the many interesting facets of Antigua's history and geography and immersing themselves in the local culture to provide an experience far removed from the generic experience offered by most other resorts. Owned and operated by long time Antigua residents - Karoll and Nick Williams - we are always on hand to help you get orientated and to know THE REAL ANTIGUA!!! We very much look forward to welcoming you to our little piece of paradise - down by the sea..... ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reefview Apartments Hotel Cades Bay
- Reef View Apartments Antigua
- Reef View Apartments Hotel Antigua
- ReefView Apartments Antigua/Cades Bay