We just returned from a lovely week at Reefview Apartments, run by expats Karroll and Nick. We stayed in the Beach Cottage, which was perfect for us. Designed and built by Nick, the Cottage is comfortable, very well equipped (e.g. with a good fan in the bedroom and plenty of equipment in the kitchen), and decked out in lovely shells and art work. We loved the outdoor shower (concealed from view by others!), ship-like design and all the windows, which allowed the cool breeze to come through. The little yard is full of flowers and plants, and a BBQ and table for al fresco dining. We loved the 'Reefview Zoo' – two adorable dogs, two cats and a sweet (blind) parrot. At night all you can hear is tree frogs, insects and the sea.
The location probably wouldn't be for everyone, but is ideal for anyone wanting a really relaxing getaway, like us. Nothing touristy around – just a little village (Urlings) where you can go down to buy delicious bread from the bakery or check out the tiny fishing marina. Plenty of donkeys, goats and chickens hanging around. The local beach is lovely – a kind of nature beach with lots of mangroves, frequented only by the occasional local having a dip or fishing. White sand and clear blue waters it is not – but there's plenty of that elsewhere on the island, including a few minutes drive away at Darkwood Beach or Curtain Bluff. For most of the week we enjoyed getting around on the local buses, which are good for seeing people going about their daily business, pretty frequent and much cheaper than taxis – but a bit erratic at night. We hired a car for a couple of days, which did make things easier (it was especially good to have a 4-wheel drive for getting to the beautiful, unspoiled Rendezvous Bay). We felt entirely safe both in the village and travelling everywhere we went around the island.
We went for the welcome BBQ (USD 30 per head), served by Karroll and Nick on their gorgeous porch. This was great - both for the yummy food and for getting to know Karroll and Nick and hearing their recommendations for the island. Karroll was really helpful in arranging extra things for us like car hire and a day trip to Barbuda. Things are generally quite expensive in Antigua (as most of the Caribbean) so you do need to be clear on what your paying – and whether it's in Eastern Caribbean or US Dollars – particularly as many places (including Reefview) are cash only.
Karroll also gave us a peak at the other two apartments that they have at Reefview. Both were really nice – bigger and more modern, with A/C, and nice artwork and furniture inside. But for sheer charm and cosiness we were glad we had picked the adorable Beach Cottage. We were really sad to leave at the end of the week – Antigua is fantastic but our great accommodation and location were also major reasons why we enjoyed our holiday so much.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ReefView Apartments consist of three unique and fully equipped self catering holiday/vacation homes - each with full bathroom and kitchen - set in lush tropical gardens affording spectacular panoramic views of Antigua's famous Cades Reef just 1 mile offshore as well as neighbouring islands of Montserrat, Guadeloupe and Redonda. ReefView Apartments is located on the shores of the Cades Bay Marine Reserve in a quiet residential hamlet - just 100m from a long deserted sandy beach, fringed with coconut palms, with walk in snorkeling available right off the beach. The shallows flats which front the apartments for miles in each direction are also a haven for sports fishermen - offering shots at hard fighting game species such as tarpon, permit, snook, snapper and barracuda - to name but a few.... Ideal for independent travelers, who enjoy long beach walks in beautiful natural surroundings, exploring the many interesting facets of Antigua's history and geography and immersing themselves in the local culture to provide an experience far removed from the generic experience offered by most other resorts. Owned and operated by long time Antigua residents - Karoll and Nick Williams - we are always on hand to help you get orientated and to know THE REAL ANTIGUA!!! We very much look forward to welcoming you to our little piece of paradise - down by the sea..... ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reefview Apartments Hotel Cades Bay
- Reef View Apartments Antigua
- Reef View Apartments Hotel Antigua
- ReefView Apartments Antigua/Cades Bay