We aren’t really people to sit around and watch the world go by as a general rule – but when we arrived at ReefView Apartments in Antigua we were seriously in need of relaxing break.
Having stayed at ReefView a couple of years before, I was keen to see the new cottage they have constructed - and decided to unleash this little gem of a place on my girlfriend.
Well we got something way better than expected, and had a holiday never to be forgotten.
Karoll’s homemade rum punch and our fresh fish BBQs on arrival were perfect – and as we were waited on by our excellent hosts, Nick and Karoll’s wealth of knowledge and stories kept the evening going into the early hours.
In amongst the few days we spent basking on Antigua’s numerous beautiful white sand beaches we also enjoyed a couple of very good dives with a local dive company – but even these were far surpassed by the incredible snorkeling experiences in and around Cades Bay.
Snorkeling off the beach close to the apartments and from Nick’s boat out on Cades Reef we saw turtles, lobsters, octopuses, nurse sharks and even an eagle ray – AWESOME!
And if you don’t believe that an evening stood in the mangroves with a fishing rod would figure on a dream Caribbean holiday – well let me tell you – when Nick is your guide, it definitely can!! Kristina caught her first ever fish and me a few more than that –so it will always be a great if ‘squidgy’ memory.
But it was again aboard the ReefView boat Little Mermaid that we were provided with possibly the best day of the holiday - a fantastic fishing trip.
After 3 hours trolling Nick’s experience shone through as he spotted some birds off in the distance. He headed over to them – and that was that…… 20+ strikes, 15 fish landed – barracuda, tuna, mahi mahi, wahoo …. 'til all the bait was gone!
Nick and Karoll also prepared us some sensational fresh sashimis, ceviches and other fish dishes from that day’s catch throughout the course of our stay.
All in all an absolutely amazing holiday, made all the more impressive by the unique rural location.
You are reminded of this frequently by a neighbouring cockerel – but this is a problem which could be easily fixed with ear plugs if you are the kind of person who let’s those things get to you!
Nick and Karoll’s knowledge and helpfulness is unrivalled.
If you want anything – they know where to get it. And if they don’t know then you probably can’t get it on island! They are more than happy give you recommendations and help you get organized. The apartments are individual and full of eclectic beachy stuff, comprehensively furnished but most importantly CLEAN!
If you are looking to explore Antigua based at an ‘off the beaten track’ retreat – AND fancy the option of doing A LOT MORE than lying on a deserted beach – a stay at ReefView could be for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ReefView Apartments consist of three unique and fully equipped self catering holiday/vacation homes - each with full bathroom and kitchen - set in lush tropical gardens affording spectacular panoramic views of Antigua's famous Cades Reef just 1 mile offshore as well as neighbouring islands of Montserrat, Guadeloupe and Redonda. ReefView Apartments is located on the shores of the Cades Bay Marine Reserve in a quiet residential hamlet - just 100m from a long deserted sandy beach, fringed with coconut palms, with walk in snorkeling available right off the beach. The shallows flats which front the apartments for miles in each direction are also a haven for sports fishermen - offering shots at hard fighting game species such as tarpon, permit, snook, snapper and barracuda - to name but a few.... Ideal for independent travelers, who enjoy long beach walks in beautiful natural surroundings, exploring the many interesting facets of Antigua's history and geography and immersing themselves in the local culture to provide an experience far removed from the generic experience offered by most other resorts. Owned and operated by long time Antigua residents - Karoll and Nick Williams - we are always on hand to help you get orientated and to know THE REAL ANTIGUA!!! We very much look forward to welcoming you to our little piece of paradise - down by the sea..... ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reefview Apartments Hotel Cades Bay
- Reef View Apartments Antigua
- Reef View Apartments Hotel Antigua
- ReefView Apartments Antigua/Cades Bay