We had the pleasure of staying with Karoll and Nick in the penthouse apartment. It was clean, bright and had beautiful views from the deck. We found our hosts to be friendly and trustworthy - they helped us plan our days and made great recommendations for trips and dining. My husband went fishing with Nick one day and caught a huge king mackeral , which Nick cooked up for dinnter and another day we both went snorkling with our hosts on Cades Reef and it was some of the best snorkling we've done. We saw stingrays, all sorts of fish and even a sea turtle! We ate at OJ's beach bar down the road 2 nights and they had some excellent jazz players - we really enjoyed them. We spent a couple of days at Turner's Beach, which we found fun but it got a little crowded when the cruise ships came in. Karoll also set us up on a day trip to Barbuda with Ruben - he took us for a tour of the island and then we went to his quiet bungalows via panga across the lagoon, thru the mangroves to the tip of Goat Island - noone else there and he cooked us the most delicious lobster lunch and kept us in yummy rum punch and cold drinks all afternoon. A day we'll never forget!
Finally, my husband and I fell in love with a little stray island pup and Karoll worked tirelessly to help us get her home with us to the US. Coco is now part of our family and learning to love the cold!
We were initially a bit hesitant like the other reviewer about wiring money , but I can assure you that the Williams are honest and hardworking folks.
One thing about staying at the Reef View apartments is that unlike staying in a resort that insulates you from the environment, you are much closer to the local culture and people, and you have a better appreciation of what living on an island might be like. It offers a whole different perspective on a vacation, and that for us is one of the points that made this such an interesting vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ReefView Apartments consist of three unique and fully equipped self catering holiday/vacation homes - each with full bathroom and kitchen - set in lush tropical gardens affording spectacular panoramic views of Antigua's famous Cades Reef just 1 mile offshore as well as neighbouring islands of Montserrat, Guadeloupe and Redonda. ReefView Apartments is located on the shores of the Cades Bay Marine Reserve in a quiet residential hamlet - just 100m from a long deserted sandy beach, fringed with coconut palms, with walk in snorkeling available right off the beach. The shallows flats which front the apartments for miles in each direction are also a haven for sports fishermen - offering shots at hard fighting game species such as tarpon, permit, snook, snapper and barracuda - to name but a few.... Ideal for independent travelers, who enjoy long beach walks in beautiful natural surroundings, exploring the many interesting facets of Antigua's history and geography and immersing themselves in the local culture to provide an experience far removed from the generic experience offered by most other resorts. Owned and operated by long time Antigua residents - Karoll and Nick Williams - we are always on hand to help you get orientated and to know THE REAL ANTIGUA!!! We very much look forward to welcoming you to our little piece of paradise - down by the sea..... ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Reefview Apartments Hotel Cades Bay
- Reef View Apartments Antigua
- Reef View Apartments Hotel Antigua
- ReefView Apartments Antigua/Cades Bay