• Breakfast included
Hotel Mahena(Talalla)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsopen airyoga classesfirst floorsri lankasurf campfew daysbuffet stylebamboo hutbig housespa treatmentsground floorbeautiful beachoutdoor showeral frescotuk tuknice poolrelaxed atmosphere
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My friend and I had been traveling around Sri Lanka over two weeks and we were very ready for a break. Talalla was perfect for that! We didn't take part in any of the activities
literally just enjoyed the settings for two days and lovely food in the restaurant.
I really wanted to try the local lobster one night but it wasn't on the menu, I mentioned it to the staff and they said we will get you some in for lunch tomorrow. They did just that and it was amazing!

A fab outdoor bathroom too which was pretty cool

Cute little place and an open relaxed atmosphere :)

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
laurie432, Owner at Talalla Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Holly and well said.....even though we have activities....Yoga ,Surf Wellness ....Talalla is a great Hotel with great extras...
See you next time

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We held our yoga retreat at Talalla in April/May. The place was lovely, and coordinating the logistics with Resident Manager, Mr Janaka was a breeze. Janaka was pleasant and efficient to deal with, and had great attention to detail. The staff was also very considerate and helpful, despite English not being their first language.
We received an email from the Yoga Manager, Melanie Woods asking about our retreat details too, and after providing the details, we never got back a reply (which we thought was quite unprofessional).

The food at Talalla was delicious and there were enough vegetarian options for us. We especially love the Big Yoga Shala, which provided a very conducive environment for our retreat and classes. We love that they have props available, so we don't have to bring our own.

The huts had an open concept, including the bathroom, so it's not for those who are used to typical resort rooms. The beach was lovely, but bring along your mossie repellent as mosquitoes and sandflies are aplenty, just as in any tropical beach resort.

Talalla offers a balanced atmosphere of zen, fun, rest and relax. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
laurie432, Owner at Talalla Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi and thanks for your thoughts....so unlike Melanie to slip up...but happily all was well and hope to meet next time...

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

I recently enjoyed staying at Talalla Resort as part of Newport Yoga Retreat. The communal facilities; dining space, yoga, pool, extensive gardens were ideal for our group. The grounds and buildings are very well kept.

It was my choice to twin share an downstairs air-conditioned room which was very comfortable and suitable for 6 day stay with my friend. I loved the open roof in the shower which was private & definitely provided the tropical atmosphere - quite different from home!

The staff were caring, considerate and plentiful. It was lovely having on-site spa treatments.

Our group enjoyed the delicious vegetarian options for all meals.

I would love to return one day!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
laurie432, Owner at Talalla Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Hi Mandy,so glad you enjoyed the yoga retreat.....as our name implies we do welcome and cater to retreats...and I do look forward to seeing you next time...

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

After spending 5 days in Talalla, I realised it wasn’t long enough and wished I had another week to lie by the pool, eat the best vegetarian food and try the different yoga classes. Stunning views from our first floor air con room and thought the outside shower was a treat. I felt incredibly relaxed by the time I left and hope to return to this well run resort. A huge tick for the staff who were helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
laurie432, Owner at Talalla Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Hi Michelle...Thank you for your kind words.....see you next time

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

As soon as I stepped foot in Talalla I felt relaxed, at peace and officially on my ‘holiday’. I love their gardens and green house, beach front Yoga Shala and amazing food. Their open air rooms aren’t for people who enjoy being at one with nature (don’t expect your standard western hotel experience). The staff are divine too. Yes, the mosquitoes and sand flies can be a nuisance (as in any tropical area) if you’re someone like me that always gets attacked you will need to be wary and bring good repellant and stingoes for bites is my suggestion! I love all the activities on offer - pilates, Yoga, surf, excursions. It strikes the right balance for me between zen and fun.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo