The Dunmore Hotel & Residences
Valentines Resort and Marina(Harbour Island)(Great Value!)
US$494
US$468
  • Pool
Coral Sands Hotel(Harbour Island)(Great Value!)
US$428
US$416
Pink Sands Resort(Harbour Island)(Great Value!)
US$989
Travelocity
The Cove Eleuthera(Gregory Town)
US$539
US$505
Hut Pointe Inn(Governor's Harbour)(Great Value!)
US$293
Villa Allamanda, Eleuthera(Governor's Harbour)(Great Value!)
US$235
US$188
French Leave Resort(Governor's Harbour)
US$751
Autograph
Rock House(Harbour Island)
Priceline
Sky Beach Club(Governor's Harbour)
Priceline
Squires Estate(Eleuthera)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspink sand beachfish tacosharbour islanddinner reservationssip sipgolf cartbeautiful propertytrue paradiseexecutive chefgeneral managerevery morningbeach chairsone bedroom suitespecial placeturquoise waterocean viewrelaxing vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We stayed one week at the Dunmore on Harbor Island. It was very relaxing. The food was good and the service was especially good. Everyone was very friendly. The beach is one of the nicest we have ever experienced. My only negitive is that the food on the island is very expensive no matter where you dine. The best restrurants are The Dunmore and the Rock House...
Ali

Room Tip: All cottages seemed to have a great view of the ocean...But ask Quincey which she thinks is best! We were in Pink North.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alikeefe
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The Dunmore for Christmas "with the family" was the most peaceful, relaxing and pampered experience you can buy! (Do bring your own twinkle lights or wreath if you miss Christmas details!)The staff is all smiles and happy to fulfill any request - the updated decor (think Lyford Cay) is refreshingly "island colonial modern". We rented Dunmore North and South and kept the adjoining door open for added space. Twice daily maid service made 'returning to the cottage" after a long day a refreshing pleasure. The weather was " La Jolla " fabulous! Cool in the shade - warm on the sand. Sweaters/shawls at night. Golf carts are the mode of transport - rent ahead. Or walk. The beach is pink baby powder - lapped by a turquoise sea. The Dunmore provides all water toys - kayaks, paddle boards, brand new snorkeling gear! You could easily never leave the grounds! Suggestion: A more interesting or varied selection for your Continental breakfast would be appreciated. The chef is a genius! Variety and more of a menu selection would be an added bonus for those guests staying at least a week. The grounds are impeccable - green velvet sloping lawns, roosters strutting among the dense foliage - pristine white trim and lattice everywhere - the turquoise sea as a constant back drop - sheer Heaven! We felt very safe on the island walking anywhere. We will certainly return!

Room Tip: The Dunmore North/South can be joined by opening the adjoining door - making a more spacious cottage. This is the farthest cottage from the beach - but very private. Appreciated the straw totes/ beach hats provided in each cottage.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Grimaud55
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We live on Harbour Island and the new chef and restaurant are amazing well done! I have eaten at the restaurant a few times before and was not as pleased it had a very limited menu. The new group that is running the restaurant have done a great job! Instead of searching the menu for something I would like, I wanted one of everything. Congratulations on a great job!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This place was just what we needed for a nice 4 day break. Harbour Island is simply a great destination, and we thought the Dunmore was just perfect for our needs. Overall, I cannot say nice enough things about the island, the hotel and the staff, but I will mention a couple of minor things, just to be fair.

THE ISLAND

I had been to Nassau/Paradise Island 20 years ago. While I thought the beaches were nice, I just did not fall in love with the place. In the last few years I have visited many of the islands and would not have put my Nassau/Paradise Island experience in the same bucket as my two favorite islands, St. Barths and Anguilla. My opinion of the Bahamas has completely changed having spent time on Harbour Island. It is the real deal - completely laid back and relaxing. The beach was just as beautiful as Anguilla. The sand was absolutely powder soft, the water was an amazing color of blue and the sand really did have a slightly pink shade. The quality of the dining options was right up there with St. Barths, although maybe there were a few less places to choose from given the small size of the island. Compared to St. Barths or Anguilla, Harbour Island is much smaller,and I think we enjoyed not needing to deal with a rental car or taxi. You can rent a golf cart for $50 per day, which we did one day (and was fun), but we mostly got around by walking. Getting to Harbour Island was actually pretty easy. We spend a lot of time in South Florida, so we tacked this on to a few days there. It was a 45 minute beautiful plane ride in a prop plane from Fort Lauderdale to North Eleuthera Airport. After landing, Bahamian customs takes about 5 minutes. There were cab drivers waiting to take passengers to the main marina where a water taxi was waiting to take us across to Harbour Island. From the time we touched down, it would not have taken more than 30 minutes to get to the island. I also thought there would be an opportunity for the land taxi and water taxi to gouge us on price, but each ride was $5 per person, and all of the drivers were friendly and hospitable if a little hard to understand.

THE HOTEL FACILITIES

We arrived at the hotel a little early, and our room was not ready so Rashida at the desk suggested that we find our swimsuits and leave our luggage. We were down at the beach in a few minutes. The hotel is perfectly located, a few minutes walk from town and on one of the nicest strips of beach you will ever see. The main club house includes a bar and a restaurant. Just off to the side is a very nice pool area with a little outdoor gym. There is a hut just about the beach where you can borrow all kinds of water sports equipment and snorkel gear free of charge. They also had plenty of sunscreen, which was nice. There were plenty of chairs and umbrellas for guests, although we thought that the hotel could have selected nicer beach chairs. The chairs they had were fine, but given the level of luxury of the hotel and the cost, they should have splurged for something high end. The neighboring hotels have palapas, which were nicer than the beach umbrellas at The Dunmore. One thing that could have made our experience better would have been more bar service while out at the beach. They have water, cans of soft drinks, but what I really wanted was for someone to bring me big fruity cocktails from the bar. We did go up and get them ourselves a couple of times and the bartender came down a couple of times to take drink orders, but it would have been better if someone dropped by every hour or so with a cocktail. The pool was great and had nicer chairs. It is not a huge pool, but this is not a huge resort, and it never felt crowded. We enjoyed going back and forth between the beach and pool.

THE ROOM

We thought the room was great - much nicer than the rooms at Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Great air conditioning so we could sleep under lots of covers. We loved the decor - they definitely nailed island beach chic. Internet was fast and consistent (no extra charge), plenty of electrical outlets for all of our gadgets, a safe, i-pod speakers and charger. They had Molton Brown products all over the bathroom which we hid away to put in our guest bathroom. I think we probably got a little greedy with the Molton Brown, because they did not refill our supply on the last day. I liked that they supplied straw hats and a carrying bag for your beach stuff. In fact, we liked the straw stuff so much that we ended up buying lots of woven bags to take home with us. We had a nice outdoor seating area with a lovely view of the ocean from our oceanview room. The oceanview rooms were just a bit further walk from the clubhouse/pool/beach, but I do not think the view of the sea was much different. The room had a little fridge where you free to store your own things. The bathroom was big with a spa tub and a huge shower. There was plenty of hot water.

DINING

We had outstanding food everywhere we ate on Harbour Island. This is a place were food is taken seriously. We ate lunch almost every day at The Dunmore and thought it was delicious. We also had one dinner and thought the food was outstanding - just as good as the meals we had at The Landing, SipSip, and The Rock House. The bartender was a nice guy and made world class fruity cocktails. I have to say that breakfast was the one weak spot. Continental breakfast is included, but it is really just coffee/tea, OJ and mini muffins. We ordered off of the menu a couple of times, and the breakfast was good, but not nearly as good as the other meals we had at The Dunmore.

SERVICE

We really enjoyed the staff at The Dunmore. That being said, this is not a big fancy white glove resort...it is a small luxury beach chic resort. The staff were not formal...they were laid back and more casual with a good sense of humor. That being said, all of our requests were dealt with in a timely and competent matter. Check-in and check-out were handled casually but professionally. Dinner reservations were made without a problem. Shopping and eating suggestions were spot on. Rashida at the front desk was helpful, sweet and funny. All of the servers at the restaurant were friendly, orders were taken quickly and food was brought out in a timely manner. There were plenty of towels available. Every single staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful, and we were constantly greeted with smiles. We are a gay couple, and I was concerned that we might not be welcomed or would feel uncomfortable at a small resort in The Bahamas, but this was not our experience at all. I felt genuinely welcome and did not think twice about it after our arrival. There were a few comments in TA about service at the hotel, and I am not sure where this is coming from. We are pretty picky travelers with a low tolerance for bad service, and we were very pleased.

SUMMARY

This was not a cheap place to stay (and we stayed off season), but it is on a spectacular island, and it is really the perfect place to unwind. The clientele was a mix of couples and families, so there were a good number of kids around. I can imagine that there are lots of kids at Xmas and Spring Break time. The service was exactly the type of service we like - attentive but relaxed. I can imagine that some people would want staff hovering over them based on the cost of the resort. We really did feel relaxed and rejuvenated after just four days visiting The Dunmore. We like to try new places and new things, but we would absolutely come back to The Dunmore. It was money well spent. For us, this resort hits exactly right spot in terms of location, food, decor and vibe...they deserve to have a lot of success. I just hope I can afford to come back! I visit lots of nice places for business and pleasure, but I only write reviews for hotels I think are really special (and one which sucked horribly in Fiji). I don't have time to write reviews for those that are fair, good or very good. This place was special, and I smiled the entire time I was writing the review because I was thinking of sitting on their beautiful beach!

Room Tip: The difference between Ocean View and Ocean Front rooms are negligible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank kjpsydney
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I first traveled to the Dunmore in April 2011, and I can't begin to describe how effusive and enthusiastic our affection for the hotel was following our stay. We literally sang songs about Harbour Island for months. Really. A bit silly, we understand, but that is how much we adored everything about relaxing on Harbour Island and the Dunmore. Sadly, we'll be looking for a new Caribbean favorite spot as it's become all too clear that the service, value, and quality of a stay there has gone downhill.

We stayed for six nights in a deluxe garden view cottage (Yellow East), which is not too far from the club house/restaurant. We did have a slight peek of the ocean from the window in our bathroom. Amenities were fine and as expected for the most part: queen or king-size bed, LCD tv (although the one in our room was definitely not HD, which it is supposed to be according to the website), A/C, ceiling fan, bathrobes, complimentary bottled water with turndown, Cuisinart coffeemaker, and safe bolted to the closet. Our experience with housekeeping went downhill from last year. The staff was not quite as thorough as we would like; for example, bathrobes left on the bench by the bed remained even after the room had been "made up." Same with the hair blow dryer and the make up mirror. My husband and I loved that the Dunmore provided complimentary tubes of SPF 30 sunscreen last year; it's a big perk for those of us coming on international flights with luggage/checked bag limitations. This year, the Dunmore is cutting corners here and there. The sunscreen was no longer provided, and the sunscreen that used to be in the cabana by the beach wasn't out on the counter as usual. The one time we asked for sunscreen, the staff told us they only had SPF8 and they didn't want to give it to us. Alas.

Small details that were looked over was the general theme of our stay at the Dunmore. Last year, we were greeted by the staff when we arrived at the front gate. This year, no greeting. There were definitely fewer staff members working on the resort and in the restaurant as well. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner took much longer than anticipated, and on one evening, we observed a couple seated next to us at dinner extremely irate and vocal about how long their entrees were taking to be served from the kitchen. The breakfast barely meets the "continental" criteria - there's a small plate of muffins, an offering of teas, and maybe a pot of coffee? My husband usually ordered from the a la carte menu (the Dunmore breakfast was his go-to plate of scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon or sausage). My understanding is that the Dunmore switched to offer a full breakfast for a few months last year, but management told me that it was too expensive to upkeep. How disappointing! On an island this small, a full breakfast is such a treat in the morning.

One thing to keep in mind about the Dunmore is that it is NOT a full service hotel. There is no room service, there is no food/drink service by the pool or beach (to eat breakfast by the pool, I was served my order in a styrofoam Chinese take out container), and there is no staff by the pool
(lifeguards and such). It's really a country club environment and atmosphere minus the top notch service.

On another note, my husband and I loved Harbour Island so much after our previous trip that we seriously considered holding our wedding ceremony and reception at the Dunmore. I'm so relieved that we didn't! We had the most difficult time coordinating even phone calls and emails with the wedding coordinator and manager (Quincy) at the Dunmore; eventually, they just stopped replying to my emails and returning my phone calls. I took it as a sign of lack of interest and incompetence, and I'm happy to say we were married in Massachusetts at a lovely event site called the Barn at Gibbet Hill.

We will miss Harbour Island - we have fantastic memories from our two trips (memories not linked to our stay at the Dunmore). We're particularly interested in traveling to Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos (where we'll be celebrating our one year wedding anniversary next January) and Little Dix Bay in BVI. Perhaps we'll return to the Dunmore in the future (maybe 5 years out?), but I think we'll have to hear about management changes to reconsider.

Room Tip: Request at least a deluxe room if booking a garden view room - the bathrooms are much more spacious and comfortable at the deluxe level (separate tub and shower as well as vanity).
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank bostongal19
ActionBriland, Manager at The Dunmore Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Although we are quite saddened to hear that your recent stay at The Dunmore was not as enjoyable as your previous visit, we sincerely appreciate your comments and are taking immediate steps to improve the service that each and every receives when they visit The Dunmore. We do not take such feedback lightly. Although difficult to hear, it is an invaluable resource. Our staff is committed to providing the highest level of service and to making The Dunmore a place to which people cannot wait to return. We hope that you will choose to come visit us again and allow us the opportunity to earn back your affection.

Omar & Quincie Stubbs