“just OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 78 Hulhumale B&B and Inns
Boston, MA, USA
“just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night and that was enough.......Hulhumale is a giant construction site ( not hotels fault).....maybe in 5 years when all of the trash and construction materials are cleaned up it might be a nice place to stay.....our room was on second floor...dark with a tiny window..semi clean.....breakfast was a disgrace......I had just toast....3 hard boiled eggs in a serving dish and some chicken sausage were breakfast.....our airport pickup was not there when we arrived...we had to call them to pick us up.....if you can go straight to your island.......

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments following your recent visit to Hulhumale Inn. It is disappointing and frustrating that you were let down during your visit by there being no one to receive you nor to have been provided a full selection at breakfast. I have myself recently returned to Hulhumale, following a trip abroad and have since spoken with Soba, Operations Manager and the team to share your comments. Provided we are supplied with guest arrival flight details there is no excuse for our guests not to be met at the airport and for this I apologise as I’m sure following a long flight all you wished to do was to shower and rest. Regarding breakfast as you will have seen from the menu on the breakfast terrace you should have been offered, fresh fruit and cereal alongside eggs cooked to your request and toast. We then offer chicken sausages (pork prohibited on local islands) or traditional mashuni and roshi on a rotation basis. Again, I have raised this concern with the team and I will be reviewing closely over the coming weeks.
Hulhumale as you highlight does have construction taking place, as per our website information and marketing material, we do highlight it is a developing island and as it lies within the capital area is far more suburban than local islands further afield. Ad I am sure you can appreciate land is at a minimum on many local islands therefore guesthouses and residential buildings are built close together, which as you point out does not allow for a lot of natural light in all but our Deluxe Rooms. I have however, requested for the windows to be cleaned both internally and externally following the point you make.
Please accept my sincere apologies that your brief visit was not a successful one and again, thank you for your comments which have allowed me to take the appropriate action.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Colombo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a small guest house in Hulhumale. Like all the guests houses in this area space is very limited. They have 10 small rooms and they are basic but clean. Staff is very professional and good value for money. If you are looking for an inexpensive transit hotel this is a good option. Definitly not suitable if you are coming to Maldives for a vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Hulumale Inn. We are pleased to read that your needs were met during your overnight stay and I will ensure your comments are shared with the team.
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

My hubby and I stayed for 1 night at Hulhumale Inn. It’s a small basic hotel with friendly and helpful staff (Naji, Shaheen & Mohamed) who gave us recommendations on good restaurants and cafes in the area. On arrival, we were served apple juice and check-in was quick. Rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. You get 2 free small water bottles in your room on arrival and Mohamed gave us 2 free water bottles when leaving the hotel too.
The aircon worked well in our room 202 as well as the free wifi. Shampoo, body wash, and towels are provided by the hotel and there is always hot water in the bathroom.
Breakfast on the terrace was good (check photos). It is served 30 mins before you check out no matter how early (ours was served at 6:30 am).
The hotel is within walking distance to several shops, restaurants and a mini-market. It’s also 10 mins away from the airport (by car). Taxi transfers are arranged by the hotel and the cost is $7.5 one way.
Overall, it is a very good option if you have to spend a night or two at Hulhumale.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for providing a very comprehensive review following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. It is pleasing to read that you were happy with the facilities, standards and service provided by the team. I will ensure your comments are shared with them and we hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night ahead of a weeklong diving safari trip. I was met at the airport and immediately sent up to my room to find my bed beautifully covered in flower petals. The next day the staff arranged a $5 tour of Malé for me and saw me safely to and from the ferry. They were also extremely accommodating, and allowed me to stay well past check out. So nice because I didn't have to meet up with the safari crew until 4 pm.

Bottom line: very kind staff, simple yet clean rooms and you don't have to be in Malé.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for talking the time to provide us with your comments following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. It is pleasing to know that we achieved both an unexpected welcome and an unexpected departure as well as it would appear a friendly, comfortable stay in between!
Thank you again for your comments I will ensure, they are shared with the team. We hope to be able to welcome you again to Hulhumale Inn in the future.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

we spent one night as our international flight arrived to late to take our internal connection to our resort. it was an easily accessible option (no need to take the boat, it's on the same island as the airport) but I wouldn't recommend it in any other case.
The staff was very nice and friendly, but despite our repeated confirmations, they forgot to send someone to pick us up. The room was ok, but very (very) dirty, with blood stains on the sheets and the towels looked really overly used.
Opening any of the three windows in the room one could see a nice wall about 50cm away. The mattress was very hard and the air conditioner made an annoying noise all the time
We asked for a wake up call that never came (fortunately we backed-up with our own alarm clock) and no one helped us with the bags despite the request.
Breakfast was very basic, but all people in the staff were very cordial and nice, let's say they invested on the 'good will' side but kind of neglected the 'skill' part...
The price was much too high for the kind of service and facilities offered.

I don't know if there are better options around, but if you go make sure you ask to CLEAN the room VERY WELL!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn and I apologise that we let you down in a number of ways. Having investigated the issues you raised I have found that according to our records your booking was not made direct with us but through an agent. The agent despite several requests from our reservation team did not supply your arrival details or a direct contact email and therefore we were unaware of your flight or time of arrival and that unfortunately was the reason that you were not met at the airport which I can appreciate would have been frustrating given that guests arriving are unable to 'hail' a taxi.
The room standards that you describe are unacceptable and together with Soba, Operations Manager, we have reviewed the way room checks are carried out and by whom and based on your comments I hope we have devised a more robust process.
Regarding the points you raise concerning your room facilities we are in the process of replacing all our mattresses following feedback from previous guests and hope to have achieved this within the next 6 months. I have also requested the AC unit to be checked. Unfortunately due to limitations with land space on both Hulhumale and Male all buildings are built with only a few feet distance from the adjacent property. We do not advertise that we have views from all of our rooms and would advise other guests wishing to have a room with an island view to book one of our two Deluxe rooms.
Your comments have been shared with the entire team at Hulhumale Inn and in doing so I hope that we will be able to avoid any similar situations arising in the future.
Thank you again for your comments that have allowed me to take appropriate action.

Travellers are raving about these Hulhumale hotels

nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Loved the room, my own penthouse with a terrace fan and ac at the Hulhumale Inn.
Everything new and my bed was filled with roses as I arrived from my travel agent Ruth, Secretparadise.com. The staff was great especially the young smiling sweet breakfast man with the biggest "good morning" I have ever received.

Room Tip: My room faced the front of Inn. I believe it was 304 so 204 would be great too. I did not see other...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. Whilst perhaps the description of our Deluxe room as 'penthouse' is a slight over statement I am happy to know that this is how the room made you feel and that is obviously important. It is also pleasing to know that the team were friendly and welcoming and I will ensure your comments are shared with them.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

The Maldives is a very colorful country, the white seas and spectral colors of the crystal clear water accent the vibrant blues and greens of the buildings, cars and streets, but what really made our experience on this fabulous isle filled with all sorts of color was our stay at the Hulhumale Inn.

At first glance, it is what is offered on the front door: an Inn, however, when given a chance, it becomes much more substantial. The rooms are cozy and practically furnished, giving a homely feel, there is a constant internet connection and a terrace with a kitchen open for even the latest of midnight snacks; all this seems basic and mundane and why anyone would want to be reminded of home when on vacation is a good question; I point all this out because what makes the HI a special place are the people working there.

Yes, while the Inn doesn't offer a shower with 17 different shower heads or a water bed or a swimming pool (though why anyone would want a swimming pool in the Maldives or why that much luxury is required is beyond me); what they provide as people is priceless. The staff of the HI have helped us on a countless number of occasions; Zaheen managed all of our bookings from snorkeling to island-hopping to any other excursion we felt like going on complete from when we left to when we got back. They even arranged it on the short notice of an hour beforehand with a smile on their faces. After we went snorkeling, as it was our first time, we were almost bedridden with exhaustion and it was getting late and we still weren't fit enough to go get dinner; Sobah, the operation manager, ordered food for us and then Pasha (I think that was his name, everyone seemed to call him that), I'd call him the guy who serviced our rooms but he was resident do-everything guy as
he cooked and cleaned and ran errands, even took it out of the styrofoam boxes and arranged it on plates before delivering it for us.

What impacted me most was how much effort they put into fixing the exhaust fan of our en suite bathroom. It stopped working during the evening hours and instead of dismissing us or saying they would get someone the next day to have a look at it (like most hotels), they got a multiple number of technicians to have a crack at fixing it. Unable to fix the problem, they apologized profusely and said they would arrange for some air fresheners to be placed. They went beyond the call of duty and they genuinely cared, and that's all you can really ask for.

I must acknowledge the shortcomings of the HI, as most of the world's problems are a result of people pretending like the problems don't exist. While the breakfast took a while to be prepared and there was loud construction work going on, there was a notice saying sorry for the noise, present at the front desk. As for the slow pace of the breakfast, if there is one thing I have come to know about the people of Maldives is that they are simple and slow paced but they lead a stress-free life; while we foreign urban creatures of speed thought they were slow, they were perfectly on time according to themselves. The whole point of visiting a foreign country is to learn new cultures and lifestyles and see how diversely people live elsewhere. If you are on vacation and you need to hurry, you aren't on vacation.

Moreover, they invited us to evening tea; the tea was great as it really displayed that the HI was more than a group of people who worked at a temporary housing establishment, it was a group of people who had become a family and they offered their home and hospitality to all those willing to stay with them. I send my utmost thanks to Ruth and Zaheen and Sobah and Pasha and the other members of staff I unfortunately never managed to step out of my anti-social bubble to ask their names for making this one of the greatest vacations I've ever been on.

-Shaheer Khan
17 year old son of Dr.Iftikhar Khan
Stayed in the Maldives from the 29th of December 2013 to the 1st of January 2014"

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your exceptional review after your recent stay with us. It is nice to see that you have captured beautiful memories during your stay with Hulhumale Inn. Your valuable and encouraging comments will certainly motivate the team to continuously strive for excellence. Our goal is to ensure that guests who stay with us feel like we are their home away from home, which I can see in your review is what we've achieved. I will share your comments with the team and I am sure they will be happy to hear it. Hope to see you again in a near future.