“Comfy Pod To Sleep In”

Ranked #33 of 78 Hulhumale B&B and Inns
Byron Bay, Australia
“Comfy Pod To Sleep In”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our double room priced at UD$70 excluding taxes and fees (yeah, that's Maldives for yah) has an en suite bath and a small balcony. It faces the main street which doesn't get too noisy. WiFi was slow during the few times that we were able to connect. A simple breakfast is included in the rates. Egg plus toast and cereal. Coffee and tea. Kitchen opens at 6:30-7:00AM. Could be an issue if you want to head out early. There are cafes nearby, and the beach is a couple of blocks away. Guesthouse offers tours. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I thank the the manager for the response and help she gave prior to my 4 day 3 night trip.

A little feedback about the inn.
1. Doors not locking properly have to force hard before locking.
2. Toilet bowl gave a sewage smell every time you flush.
3. No house keeping service unless you ask.
4. Lack of basic amenities like toothbrush and toothpaste.
5. Have to request for toiletries
6. Aircon leaking water every once in a while disturbing the sleep.

Learnt my lesson not to stay inn for more than 1 night.

Hotel staff is very friendly and assisted to their best of abilities. But be prepared of the condtions if you are going to stay. However the price for the hotel paid does not really justify.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed one night before embarking on a live aboard boat trip. Unlike some of the reviews on here, I had no issues with this property.
It is a 3* guesthouse, and meet the expectations I have for such a property.
My airport collection was waiting for me when I arrived. The room & bathroom were clean, no issues with noise.
Yes, the views were rubbish - one window faced a wall, though I could see the road from one window. To be honest I didn't care - it meant no potential street noise, and anyway, this isn't an overwater bungalow!
Also, no lift, but my bags were carried for me.
When I went up for breakfast the server wasn't there, but the receptionist sent him straight there. I was running late, so I just had eggs. Basic but fine.
Transfer to take me to the airport arrived on the dot.
Yes, compared to a similar property in many other parts of the world, it might be considered expensive, but seriously guys, this is the Maldives!
Everyone was very friendly, and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide both feedback and a comprehensive review of the facilities, amentities and service provided by the team at Hulhumale Inn. I am pleased to learn that your expectations were met and I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.
The point that you make about the cost being representative of the Maldives is very valid, whilst guesthouse prices will never compete with the budget prices of southern and east Asia, when compared to the price of a resort night stay they certainly present a more affordable option. It should also be noted that the current government taxes of 10% service charge, 8% GST and $8 bed tax per person per night also have to be taken into consideration when price comparisons are made.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you again to Hulhumale Inn.
Pune, India
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Me and my friend stayed here in April 2014 for 1 night and enjoyed our stay here. Ruth, the hotel manager, was very helpful and I was in touch with her since January to help me plan our Maldives trip.We did not book for the hotel's airport transfer facility, but were pleasantly surprised when we saw the Hotel Staff waiting for us with placard at the airport. He was very polite, helped us to take the right public bus and escorted us to the Hotel. On arrival, we were offered a refreshing welcome drink. The double bed room we got was very nice and clean. The bathroom water had an odour, but later we realized that it is a common smell in most Maldives hotels (guess, something to do with the water supplied). The location of the hotel is good.The public bus to the Ferry terminal is accessible from right opposite the Hotel and the beach was just behind. But what we liked the most about the hotel, is their customer service. The staff is amazingly polite and helpful. It happened to my friend's Birthday the next night and I had requested Ruth to arrange for a surprise cake. When we returned to the room at midnight (after Male city tour), it was wonderful to see that the Hotel staff had not only arranged for a cake in the room, but also had beautifully decorated the room with candles and flowers. Must say, it was one of best hotel staff, I have come across in my many years of travel across the globe...Ruth and her team, makes this Hotel special.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We appreciate your feedback and kind comments following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. We are always happy where possible to accomodate requests from guests, such as the birthday cake and I am pleased it was well received and added to the enjoyment of your stay. Thank you again for your comments I will ensure they are shared with the team and we hope to welcome you again to Hulhumale Inn.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The staff, excellent, friendly, and willing to help with requests; the room, clean and cool; the terrace view for sundown's, awesome; the beach, close; the breakfast, fantastic; the entire stay was wonderful and stress free. The scuba diving, the reefs, and the beautiful waters made me not want to leave. I want to return again. Excellent stay, Internet - all I needed for global work.
Thanks Hulhumale Inn - Charlie

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay not only at Hulhumale Inn but also in the Maldives, especially under the water! I will ensure your comments are shared with the team, who will be happy to know that they assisted in providing you with an enjoyable and relaxing stay. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.
Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This guesthouse is clean and comfortable, with friendly staff. Airport transfers were efficient and the staff helpful advising us on what to do while we were there. We stayed three nights. The beach is round the corner, shops and cafés on your doorstep and it's a 10-15 min walk or a short bus ride to the harbour. We travelled with our children and the guest house ensured our rooms were by each other.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the front.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. I am pleased to learn that the team provided efficient service throughout your stay and were helpful in their response to your requests. Wherever possible the Operations Manager and team will do their best to fulfill guest room requests, particularly, as was the case with yourselves, wishing to have adjacent rooms. Thank you again for your comments which I will ensure are shared with the team.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is an OK place to stay. Nothing too fancy.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. My husband and I stayed at Hulmalue Inn for three nights. The hotel was not that clean. The white towels were off white and you had to ask for housekeeping service. The place could use a good clean up. There were traces of black mold.
The island is a mess. There were garbage everywhere and construction at every corner. Ladies look out.. there are no beach areas where you can go swimming with your bathing suits!!! So if you plan on sun bathing, swimming with your bathing suits, take a boat ride to the nearest resort island. The hotel will arrange it for you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Starnes333
Ruth F, Executive Travel Consultant at Hulhumale Inn, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your recent stay at Hulhumale Inn. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of the guesthouse, the condition of the towels and the housekeeping service. If I recall correctly, we actually spoke on the terrace at breakfast on your second day, had you raised your concerns with me at the time I would have certainly been pleased to assist and ensure appropriate action was taken by the Operations Manager and team.
Hulhumale is a suburban local island and cannot be compared to traditional local islands located further from Male or indeed resorts. As we state in all our marketing literature it is a developing island for both residents and tourists and as with many local islands construction is being undertaken as the community take advantage of the change in laws that now allow guests to stay on local islands. Consequently there are still some growing pains and some room for improvement. It is also important to remember, that like most countries there is less of a community spirit in the city area, whereas on other local islands there is a real sense of community and the need to take care of their home island.
The Maldives is a Muslim country; therefore bikinis are a no-go on the local islands unless the guesthouse has a private garden or beach, however, as you state the reception team are happy to advise on activities and excursions. It is however, possible to swim in a vest top and shorts and sunset swimming off Hulhumale beach is recommended!

Thank you again for your comments, it is only be receiving feedback from our guests that we can ensure improvements are made.