“Good budget Hotel with a beach view”
Review of Ripple Beach Inn

Ripple Beach Inn
Ranked #17 of 78 Hulhumale B&B and Inns
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Good budget Hotel with a beach view”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We spent two nights at this place when were in Maldives. This is located approximately 15 mins from the airport and the hotel car was waiting for us. Rooms are extremely good and comfortable however small. The family who runs this place is also very nice and friendly. Right infront of the beach there is a nice public beach. The breakfast is not acceptable and I am sure they can add more variety rather than limiting to a egg, bread toast and a sausage.

Room Tip: Select a Sea View Deluxe room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mahesh9910

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Arabic first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Another long overdue review.
Being a very fickle fussy person, I spent a long time searching for a budget hotel/inn for just a 1 night stopver. Ripple Beach Inn was superb. Really clean really nice really opposite the beach. Superb service, very nice fried rice!! Pictures here are real. For those who appreiciate simplicity, 100% recommended.

Room Tip: Choose beach facing. Waking up to the sound of the waves. Awesome!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank redbloodedwoman
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed here for 1 night, just for stopover before our honeymoon trip to Anantara Dhigu the next day. We reached Male nearly midnight, and were happy at first knowing that the hotel staff are ready waiting for us. Check in are super slow,and to make it worse, they charged us USD30/couple for round trip to the airport, when we clearly stated that the airport transfer fee is included in our booking fee. Another couple who took the same ride with us are also having the same problem. Since it was after midnight, we just decided to give them what they want so we can get our rest asap. And breakfast in the morning are super standard. Just a couple of toast with egg and tinny little sausage if I not mistaken. But we just don't bothered, all we wanted to do is to get out of that hotel asap and to go to our resort.

Room Tip: Nahh..just go to another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shelvy

Travellers are raving about these Hulhumale hotels

Riyadh
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We needed a place to stay on the Airport Island over night before and after we travelled to our destination Island. It was good value for money, nice, very clean, colourful hotel. The location was fantastic, a stone throw away to the beach, I kid you not. It night time, all I heard was the ocean waves breaking on the beach, very relaxing.
The service, I have to say I was very very impressed, Nasser - the manager and his team were amazing, 5* service.
We have stayed in some big name hotels and they did not offer anything close in the way of service and more, what this little hotel in the paradise Islands of the Maldives offered us.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best. Try to go out on the beach and catch the sunrise, better yet have early...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Sofia, Grad Sofiya, Bulgaria
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Hi All,

The thing that strike me the most was that all the personal was striving their best to please and make the stay good. For example, they changed the regular breakfast several times (after being asked) as my stay was long one and everyday same breakfast started to annoy at some point. A colleague of mine joined me there too, and for the day before we left, the hotel organized complimentary barbeque for us (once again thanks, it was by far the biggest & tastiest fish I've tried). The owner, Nazir, is very open to chat-up with guests, and if you find yourself feeling a bit lonely there, you can always count that there will be someone to chat-up on different topics. The hotel is 24/7 open, which is very nice and not like some other local place I've had the chance to visit.

- Book early:
During my stay I had need to extend on short notice. Unfortunately, someone had already reserved the room and I had to relocate to another hotel nearby for several nights, but it was ok - this was properly communicated in advance, they showed me the room at other hotel and asked for my consent to relocate me, and the best part - hotel staff took care to relocate my luggage there and back. All of this - free of charge. Still, you need to consider the full length and book as early as possible, to avoid inconvenience of re-location.

- Laundry service - the hotel provides excellent laundry service - I had used it on several occasions and every time my t-shirts/shirts/pants were delivered ironed and properly folded. The price is somewhat cheap at the moment, but not on the expense of quality :)

- Cleaning service - they ask from time to time if you want them to clean your room, if you want them to explicitly clean it for you ask at the reception, they'll manage it.

- Rooms are very basic, no unnecessary stuff on the shelves. Still they provide some convenience - e.g. electric can for boiling water, 2 tea cups, some packaged nescafe, sugar, dry paper towels for cleaning. I had an issue to discover that no toilet accessories were available during my stay however such can be easily purchased at a local store on the road to ferry terminal. I had raised the issue to Nazir and they are aware of it and planning to resolve it in a timely manner, still it will take some time until this is fully resolved, so be advised to either take your toilet accessories or purchase at local store. Sometimes you have to ask for the water to get it, however I didn't find this inconvenient.

- Restaurant - All the food I requested was delicious and it was never more spicy than I can handle. Infact most of the dishes take into account you're a foreigner and are not with chilli. I'd personally recommend Macaroni Tuna & pineapple juice. The bill can be settled in Rufiya or USD, which is nice if you find yourself lacking rufiyas.

- Currency Exchange service - this is a point where they can improve, exchange is available and in a bit better rate than you'd get in local bank, however this is depending on their specific staff member and Rufiya availability. Generally USD is standard, I didn't even bother to try exchanging Euros, as I noted at the local bank the exchange rate for euro is unfavorable and unfair.

- Airport transfer service - the hotel provides transfer from/to airport with their own car and free of charge for guests of the hotel.

- Complementary water sport services - there is a price list of different water-sport related activities you can choose to undertake. I can't provide you advice on that.

===========================================================
Tips for the Island (not directly hotel related however you might find these useful if you're staying in Hulmale >7days)

Local population is muslims, so there are some things different than in europe.
- Work time rules:
Friday is special day for locals, most restaurants/shops are closed. Friday & Saturday is the official weekend. At prayer time it is almost impossible to find anything working (food/shop/etc) Important prayer times are 12 PM, 3 PM, 6 PM. Thankfully the Ripple Beach provides services even in these times, and in the holidays also.

Dressing rules:
Man::
man should bath in long swimming pants. For outside walking it is prefered long pants, however short pants are also OK, even though you'll attract some critic looks by locals. In a business setting always choose long pants, as this is standard. T-shirt /shirt is ok.
Women::
Women should not bathe in bikini
Naked-back dresses, miniskirts, etc provocative wear - not ok

Beaches:
Picnic beach, located in the leftmost part of the island provides good opportunities to swim (unfortunately locals polluted the place and nobody cares to clean :( therefore that beach is not so nice :(, also there is nice basins down the public beach that are OK for swimming (5m deep pit with pontones basically). On the public beach, the water is shallow and there are corals everywhere. Basically not good island for vacation, guess resorts are much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with beachfront view. Ask for extras to better suit your needs, the staff is very hel...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Nikolai G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here for a night end of August 2013 before our seaplane flight to our resort in Fonimagoodhoo Island for our honeymoon. We were greeted by a hotel personnel at the airport and we had to wait for a bit while he gathered another set of guests. The building is right across the beach. The room was new with fairly modern fixtures. They will provide soap but no shampoo (maybe you can ask). The place was overall clean, tidy, and comfortable size. There was TV as well. They lost power for about 10 minutes although we were already in bed. It really didnt bother me. We had a wake up call early in the morning and someone came up few minutes later to pick up our luggages. We were greeted by breakfast with local fruits. Please dont expect an all American breakfast or buffet style, after all this is a transit hotel. I find the breakfast decent and reasonable for the price we paid.
We only realized at the end that it was the owner who drove us to the airport. He spoke English very well and gave us a bit of history and whats in Hulhumale as he drove us to the airport. He was very pleasant and kind and we were really very early for our seaplane departure. They try to get in touch with your next destination for the seaplane schedule. Some hotels don't do this so, make sure that there is communication. I definitely recommend this transit hotel. We didnt feel "lost" at all being in a foreign country for the first time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jeargejp
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Its a very nice transit hotel. The room is clean and design is good enough as a guesthouse hotel, it's about the same like the picture that we see on the internet. We stay in a seaview room and we think its worth the price as they have all the basic facilities and including breakfast as well. Also, we manage to take ferry from Hulhumale to Male for sightseeing and we think staying in Hulhumale is rather a good choice than Male as the capital is quite a busy and noisy place. It is very convenient to walk to the Hulhumale Ferry Terminal from this hotel as well, its about 10mins+ walking distance only. Besides, the owner and his family are very nice and friendly person. Me and my friend enjoyed our stay here very much!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank chaie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hulhumale
Planktons Beach
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
Vista Beach Retreat
Vista Beach Retreat
#6 of 78 in Hulhumale

Been to Ripple Beach Inn? Share your experiences!