“Small and Friendly!”
Review of Hotel Kappara

Hotel Kappara
Ranked #1 of 2 San Gwann B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Hotel Kappara is a small and friendly place. It's perfectly situated for anyone that needs to be near the university or the new Mater Dei hospital in the residential area of Kappara.
It's located on quite a steep hill so someone with walking difficulties may have problems and it’s approximately a 10 minute walk to a bus stop which is served regularly. The hotel recommends that you walk 10 minutes to the hospital to get on a bus but we found walking into San Gwann offered all the bus routes we needed including St Julians, Sliema and Valetta. It also allowed us to buy our breakfast along the way as there are plenty of shops in San Gwann. The nightlife district of Paceville in San Giljan is about a 5 minute taxi ride away.
The rooms were spacious and kept spotlessly clean and also for €10 a week there is a tiny kitchenette (which looks more like a wardrobe!) containing a small cooker, sink and fridge, which they will unlock for you to use, which means anyone on a budget can self-cater.
Our room overlooked the pool and the valley beyond and the balcony had a table and chairs and was lovely and sunny.
There is a lovely little pool and terrace area with views over the valley and the sunbeds are new and modern. There are also washrooms and an outside shower which looked very clean and modern.
I can't comment on the breakfast as we were room only but you have to walk through the dining room to get to the pool and the food looked fresh and plentiful.
We ordered cappuccinos and toasties and they were reasonably priced for a hotel along with the local beer Cisk!
The staff are lovely and very helpful and they are what make this place even more of a hidden gem.
The only downside to the hotel in my opinion was the lack of sound-proofing and so it could get a little noisy when younger clientele returned from the nightclubs or the staff were setting up for breakfast but next time I would ask for a room on a higher floor!
But do your research first in terms of location. The hotel was perfect for us and it more than fulfilled our expectations but this obviously won't be the same for everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are sunny and have extended views over the valley.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CWade
There are newer reviews for Hotel Kappara

Reviewed 19 April 2013

I would like to thank you to all staffs at hotel Kappara who have accommodated me for three weekes. Back office staffs were efficient and very quick to response, hotel staffs were extremely kind and genuinely kind & warm! I had my tears in my eyes when I left this hotel... this place became my home in Malta and I would love to stay again if I have a chance to return to Malta.

It's a 3-start hotel; you get everything you would expect from 3-start hotel!
I stayed in a room with a balcony - I enjoyed looking at the sky everyday.
I had a self-catering kitchen - it was just perfect for me to prepare lunch & dinner every day.
There is a foldable desk - this was again just perfect for me as I had to study 7hrs per day in the room. Everything was comfortable.
The only wish was to have a bathtub to soak into... but as I wanted to be environmentally friendly, a shower was good enough. (some rooms have bathtub and some are only shower)
The Room was always cleaned up perfectly. Staffs at the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful - We always had nice chats in the morning and when I come back from my yoga training - I missed them a lot.
- Breakfast is simple but I saw some people ordered British breakfast and the hotel prepared it on request.
- Sitting in the patio is always nice and relaxing.
- Sound proof can be improved but as far as all guests & staffs are aware to keep quiet in the evening, there is not much sound to disturb (or just bring ear plugs, just in case).

I also had nice opportunities to have words with other guests. If you stay with open-heart, you will meet other wonderful guests!

This place is often used for students as the location is very convenient for those who go to the University of Malta (or language schools). This makes the hotel absolutely vibrant!

There are some supermarkets and small shops in the town (people are extremely kind! my favorites were a delicatessen in Vegimania supermaket & Sicilian food shop) Buses run quite frequently.
Taxi btw St. Julian is around EUR 8-10.

On the last day, I stayed in a 5-star hotel in Sliema but I missed Hotel Kappara a lot as I never felt that I was alone at Kappara. Hotel Kappara is the hotel that can full fill value for money and they have more to offer. Massive THANK YOU to Hotel Kappara!!! and I want to go back again soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank marinka_ilmondo
Chris S, General Manager at Hotel Kappara, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear marinka_ilmondo,

Thank you for your kind words. We were all sorry to see you leave and everyone sends their regards.

We very much hope to have you again in the not so distant future.

Regards

Reviewed 29 March 2013

The staff at the Hotel Kappara are truly amazing. Nothing is too much trouble and things are done with pleasantness and graciousness. The hotel is clean and the rooms nicely furnished. The meals are also good. The downside, which staff can do nothing about, is that the hotel rooms and corridors have no soundproofing and so voices, even when people are not being excessively noisy, reverberate throughout the hotel. This can be somewhat disturbing late at night, or early in the morning. Having said that, I would go back again, simply because there is such a delightful attmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for one on first or second floor with a balcony. It is worth paying the 10 euros per week to add...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Anne S S
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I'm currently staying at the Hotel Kappara. The staff are very helpful and kind.
the room is clean and spacious, much bigger than I expected. The pool isn't open until April according to the sign, which is a pity but looks like it would be lovely when it is a bit warmer. Breakfast is what you would expect, cereals, pastries, fruit, tea, coffee, juice etc. They do offer full english for an extra 6 euros, but there are cafes near by which offer it cheaper (however I don't know what it is like). I have slept brilliantly since I've been here. There is a self catering option, but you have to pay for that. The area isn't great if you are on foot, but there are buses nearby so it is completely possible to still get around and enjoy this beautiful island. There is also free wifi, make sure you ask for the password and username!
The hotel is not amazing, but it's exactly what you would expect and want from a 3* hotel.

Room Tip: This balcony room has a lovely view, however the door is the only natural light in the room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Tori K
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The personnel of the Kappara Hotel is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious, with a modern bathroom. Unfortunately, we were placed at the room behind the reception desk, which is extremely noisy at nights and mornings, due to phoning night porters, returning guests and breakfast preparations in the morning. We would suggest to insulate this room to reduce the levels of noise from the reception at night and in the mornings. This would have enriched the confort of our stay, since we have experienced disturbed nights of sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnneMH88

Dear AnneMH88,

Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay overall.

It is a valid suggestion re insulating rooms more and one that we will take on board.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed 26 October 2012

The hotel is clean, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the view from the balconies over the poolarea is great, but the best thing is: The owners and all the staff are so helpful and friendly. They made me feel like home for my 10-day stay! Thanks for that!!!

Room Tip: choose the balcony-rooms with the view over the pool
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jasmin B
Johanna C, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Kappara, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Jasmin,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Kappara and for your fantastic review and comments about the staff, which we really appreciate.

We're very happy to hear that that you liked the hotel so much, as we always strive to make our guests feel at home throughout their stay.

We hope it won’t be long before we can host you again at the hotel.

Yours sincerely,
Johanna Calleja

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I came across Hotel Kappara quite by accident. Whilst only two days into a two day trip of Malta my partner became severely unwell and was admitted to the Mater Dei Hospital. On a recommendation from hospital staff I checked into Kappara so I could be within walking distance from the hospital. I was previously staying in Valetta.

From the moment I checked in and had a chat to Frans, the General Manager and his sister Maria I felt very welcome and at home in what was a difficult time. I ended up staying a month and could not fault the hotel for what I needed. It was impeccably clean, the staff were friendly and always enquired after my parters progress and my own wellbeing. It was an easy walk to the hospital (or University if required), another easy downhill walk to Sliema and the waterfront. Buses stopped at the top of the street and there were the shops of San Gwann across the main road, a mere 5 minute walk. From the Mater Dei hospital interchange one could access most buses to all parts of the island. The in-house restaurant also served up lovely food on a set menu for a reasonable price and the pool was a welcome respite after a hot and dusty day.

Overall this is an excellent little hotel, lacking a little charm as its a new building in a residential suburb, but this is more then made up for by the fact its run by genuinely lovely people who will bend over backwards to be of help if needed. Many thanks again Frans, Maria, and all the staff.

Richard B.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool and the little farming valley looking towards the hospital.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rich B

Dear Rich,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Kappara and for your very nice review and comments about the staff, which we really appreciate.

We're happy to hear that that you felt at home at Hotel Kappara during such a difficult time, and we sincerely hope that things have now improved.

Thank you once again for the review and best wishes from us all.

Yours sincerely,

The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels
Porto Azzurro
Porto Azzurro
#5 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Hotel Kappara? Share your experiences!