All reviews beach front friendship bay bequia beach lobster night half board lovely hotel high season beachfront suite atlantic side laid back perfect caribbean sound of the waves st vincent half mile large balcony main restaurant the ground floor
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Bequia is the most relaxing Caribbean Island I've been to. It's a proper working island but it's also small and tourist-friendly. The Bequia Beach Hotel is the perfect place to stay. It stretches back off a stunning beach, up a lush hillside with beautiful gardens. The interiors are laid out with immaculate finesse and the decor has a quirky retro feel. The ideal place to chill.

Room tip: Take a room away from the beach for a great panoramic view and an infinity pool.
2  Thank dixonc
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Bequia has been on my ‘to do list’ for a a few years and was I not disappointed. Bequia is a precious pearl in the jewels that form the beautiful Grendadine Islands. The island is lush and green with beautiful sweeping sandy beaches, craggy outcrops and stunning mountain views over the turquoise seas to many of the surrounding Islands. Although only seven square miles, the Island is very different on the Atlantic and Caribbean sides and a tour of the Island is a must, including the Turtle Sanctuary and the Old Plantations.

The island is still traditional and old fashioned which is exactly why I was drawn to it. The port is colourful, busy and bustling without being overwhelming and there are plenty of lovely bars, cafes and restaurants to sip cocktails and watch all the boat activity. Sadly a lot of the bigger Islands have become too commercial and have lost the true Caribbean feel.

My sister and I stayed for sixteen days at Bequia Beach Hotel on Friendship Bay in a lovely villa in the gardens with its own plunge pool. The gardens are delightful and it was joyous to wake up to the birdsong all around. There are two pools, with one right on the beach which also has very stylish Cabanas for anyone on a day trip and not staying at the Hotel. The beach is full of beautiful trees and foliage and after breakfast most days, I would visit the little boat builders yard just a few minutes walk up the beach to chat with the local fishermen and the boat builders who are all delightful characters with many tales to tell!

The hotel is set out around beautifully landscaped gardens so you do not feel on top of each other and although the gardens and the hotel are quite large, the hospitality here is so wonderful it immediately feels like you are staying in a friends home. The staff are attentive, warm and friendly and cannot do enough for you. Our housekeeper Aggy made sure we had every thing we needed and even brought us fresh milk each day to make our English Breakfast tea(yes we had brought our own Twinings tea bags but no need as they sell them on the Island!).

The restaurant and bar are right on the beach, looking out to sea, you can see the Island of Mustique in the distance. The food is wonderful with a mixture of local and international cuisine and the lobster of course was particularly special having been freshly caught the same day, this washed down with a delicious lime daquiri mixed by the always cheerful bar staff go down a treat, what more could you wish for?

Having met the owner Mr Bengt Mortstedt at the weekly Friday night cocktail party, we found him to be a most charming and attentive host. This is where the attention to detail and the feeling of stepping in to a friends home all come from. Mr Bengt, as he is known locally and by the staff, fell in love with the Island years ago and wanted to create the perfect place to stay, which he has more than achieved, although he is always striving for further improvement and new ideas and ways to ensure his guests are made to feel very special.

I too fell in love with the Island, the people and the Hotel, so much so, that I am already booked to return for the Bequia Music Festival in January next year, part of which the Hotel is hosting. I felt so safe on the Island and so very at home at the Hotel, that I will be travelling on my own next time.

I know I will be beautifully looked after and I am looking forward to returning...as a friend.

Room tip: Having a good look round, I would be happy in any of the rooms or villas. The main large villa(four bedrooms)which has only recently been completed is absolutely stunning and would be perfect for a family or group of friends and has a wow factor infinity pool with incredible views over the gardens out to sea. It is also totally private should you want privacy and discretion!
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Anna T
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Lovely hotel and beautifully situated on Friendship Bay with an excellent clean beach and great for swimming. We had a first floor beach front room with large balcony and beautiful sea views-the room was spacious with a sitting area and very tastefully furnished. Management and staff were always very helpful and the owner-who was most charming-was always in attendance.
We found Bequia to be a delightful island, very safe and unspoilt and we hope to return.

1  Thank Bernard R
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was our second visit and we were not disappointed. We soon learnt on our last visit that this hotel is much more intimate than first impressions suggest, the management and staff are warm, friendly and very efficient, nothing is left to chance. The quality of the accommodation and grounds is first class with the owner constantly looking for ways to perfect. The restaurant is excellent and although still catering for those who prefer " fine dining" we were pleased to see some Caribbean influences creeping in, we would like to see more! Bequia is rapidly becoming our favourite Grenadine island and BBH the place to stay.

3  Thank maur2043630
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Great hotel, lovely spacious beach side rooms, with good food and excellent service. Staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Our luggage didn't make the connection in Barbados and the staff kept us fully informed, even coming us to find us on the beach when it arrived at the airport. Perfect for a relaxing week. Exploring the island by taxi is easy and fun! we would certainly go back.