All reviews beach front friendship bay bequia beach lobster night beachfront suite lovely hotel laid back half board low season main restaurant large balcony princess margaret beach atlantic side day pass the ground floor italian food restaurant bagatelle
Reviewed 12 January 2016

We were searching for a smallish beach front hotel in a not over-commercialised location, and definitely not an over the top "full service american resort" with all the plastic and pretension that goes with it! Well, the BBH was exactly that. We had a spacious beach front room on the ground floor which was perfect, with direct access across a small lawn onto the beach. Staff were, without exception, charming, smiling and helpful.
The food was good, but not outstanding, with the exception of the lobster night which served the best lobster I had tasted on the island. Our stay was in early December, before the premium Italian restaurant was open, and before the arrival of the specialist (Swedish?) chefs, but nevertheless was overall probably better than anywhere else we had eaten on the island.
It was great going to sleep and waking to the sound of the waves - the downside of this being that the location is on the Atlantic side of the island and despite the bay being relatively sheltered, the sea was rather too rough to swim on several days of our stay.
Entertainment? Two nights had live music - on barbecue night the local group was great fun, with reggae later in the evening - on lobster night we had a steel band which was, to be frank, rather feeble and nobody danced!
So overall a very good experience on an island with great charm - a time warp which hasn't yet quite arrived in the 21st century.
What would make it absolutely great? A better standard of meals, although in high season it would probably be much better.

1  Thank carefreevoyager
Reviewed 29 December 2015

We have just returned from a stay at the Bequia Beach Hotel. We had a sea view apartment. The facilities are excellent and the staff are of the highest order. All of the staff are friendly, helpful and polite. Both the restaurants on the site have superb food, one offering Italian food and the other Caribbean/European food. We were there over Christmas and met many people who had been there before.

2  Thank Olive S
Reviewed 20 December 2015 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay, the hospitality of the staff, the spa, beach and pool, would go back one day. Lovely grounds, the room was spacious for three people - 30 room, and all amenities were very much to our liking, the atmosphere was relaxed and laid back, food was good, esp lobster night and the band good

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank taisha1971
Reviewed 14 December 2015

We first visited Bequia for a day from a Star Clipper cruise about two years ago, only seeing the main area around Admiralty Bay. It was so nice, we decided to come back for a week and eventually settled on Bequia Beach hotel for our visit. It's a taxi ride from Admiralty Bay but we couldn't have picked a better place. As I'm sure others will have written, this is a well run, spotlessly clean, beautiful hotel with great rooms, a lovely pool and restaurant just off the beach but we'd like to comment on the aspect that made our holiday, the staff!
The staff, from senior management to bell boys and cleaners, could not be any more helpful or cheerful and go out of their way to make sure you have the best holiday possible. There's no pressure to eat in the hotel, rather they are happy to recommend local restaurants, barbeque nights, etc. Reception (Megan) will seamlessly take care of dinner reservations and taxis. All you have to do is turn up. On one occasion, I was feeling a bit under the weather at lunchtime after maybe a few rums too many the night before. I mentioned to Garfield (the restaurant manager) that what I really needed was a bowl of soup (not on the lunchtime menu). Within minutes, a steaming bowl of French onion soup, complete with parmesan croutons appeared and it was awesome! All this with absolutely no fawning or obsequiousness, it's more like you're a guest in their home.
If you like quiet charm, beautiful surroundings and the encouragement to go out and see the island, this is the place for you.We just loved it and hope to return when we can.

Room tip: Least expensive rooms are at the top of the hill
Date of stay: November 2015
1  Thank island_timers
Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

Well to give some indication of how our honeymoon was, when we filled in the questionnaire for the hotel before we left, we couldn't score them as less than excellent on everything! It was perfect from start to finish!!

On arrival at the hotel we were met with a very welcome rum punch before being shown to our room! But instead of being shown to the classic room we'd booked, we were upgraded to our own little cottage! This was probably a good thing as to get to the classic rooms there are a lot of steps and my mobility problems would have made that challenging every day. So instead we were in a detached cottage, all on one level with just a couple of steps up to the veranda. It was perfect for us, great big bed, fantastic shower room and comfy seating inside and out. It was only 100yards to the pool, bar and restaurant so very easy to access everything.

I’d contacted the hotel about 6 weeks before we left to request gluten free bread and goats milk. I took some bread from home with me but I needn’t have bothered as the chef baked me gluten free bread fresh which was gorgeous and better than my offerings! They also supplied goats milk in our room and at breakfast without me having to ask.

The food was so good that we ate at the hotel all but 2 nights, although we did have lunch out at different places a few times. There were always options on menu that I knew I could eat and the food was so fresh and tasty.

And as for the cocktails...Grant tried most of them I think, I stuck to a few firm favourites, but mostly the lime daiquiri which was amazing!

The facilities at the hotel were great, the pool was a nice size with well placed loungers around it, plenty of space between them though so never felt crowded. We both used the spa, in fact Grant more than me. I had a luxury manicure the day after we arrived and Grant had two massages and a full body scrub. He said it was the best massages he’s ever had, helped by the sound of the waves lapping on the beach a few yards from the spa building. He came back almost horizontal from his last massage which was a 90 min swedish massage with hot stones.

The reception building was just a stones throw from our cottage and the girls in there really couldn’t do enough to help us. They booked a day sailing trip for us down to Tobago Cays which was fantastic, and even sent bread and goats milk with me!

The hotel were also always happy to book us a taxi, and we used the same guy most of the time. While he’s not an employee of the hotel, Jenson was brilliant!

I went to Bequia before, some years ago and loved it (hence choosing it for our honeymoon destination), and I’m so pleased to say that it didn’t disappoint. Grant has fallen in love with it too, so we’re going to start saving and try to get back for one of our wedding anniversaries! We’ve got some fantastic memories to hold onto of what was a truly magical and memorable honeymoon...simply put, perfection!!!

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sueby77