“Excellent AGAIN !!!”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
West Wales
“Excellent AGAIN !!!”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I was taken as a special treat for my Birthday and once again it was excellent. We are so lucky to have this delightful pub/restaurant so close to home - but to be honest, even if we lived further away we would still make the effort to travel miles to get there! Paul had the Duck Confit to start with and I had the Hand Cooked Potato Crisps as Nibbles. Both were delicious! Then I had the Rack of Lamb with Vegetables and asked to change the Saute Potatoes to Gratin Potatoes which they said was no trouble for them. Paul had the Lamb Burger with Crispy Lamb Breast Slices. Both were so tasty and served PIPING hot (as all meals are every time we've visited) The Creme Brulee I had for dessert was superb and I couldn't fault any aspect of the meal or service. Do go if you get a chance - it is the ONLY restaurant around this area which is of constistently high quality. We have never had a bad or even slightly sub-standard meal there.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank DaffodilDai

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“In a minority”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We seem to be in a minority in not rating this restaurant but I totally agree with the two other poor reviews. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. the food looked very nice but it didn't taste of anything. I thought maybe my taste buds were on strike but the wine tasted fine and the chilli mayonnaise was lovely. But my roast polenta, spinach and poached egg had no taste at all - not bad, just non-existent. I tried to pour salt on it but the salt was in a pepper pot with very small holes and wouldn't pour. So no more trips down to Llanllwni for us! We didn't complain - it was busy and other people seemed to be enjoying the food - maybe we just made bad menu choices..

• Visited May 2013
south yorkshire
“fantastic”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us and we're very glad we tried it. Friendly staff, good choice of food and wine and the food was amazing! It was well presented and not too pricey.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank debbie p
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“First Class Service in a First Class Setting”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My wife and I visted the Belle Vue Inn to celebrate our recent wedding anniversary, I can say without doubt that the food and the presentation is of a very high standard. Both the staff and resturant management were very frendily and polite. The food portions were more than adequate for any appitite, the restaurant is ideal for parties or celabrations. Also to add the price for the whole evening was very reasonable given the high standard and quality of service and menu choice. I will be recommending the Belle Vue Inn to both family and friends.

• Visited February 2013
Wales
“Anaemic food in a quirky setting - what a big disappointment”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We booked a table for two and drove for almost 45 min to get to this place for dinner with great expectations. It had received raving reviews , and was voted one of the best restaurants in Carmarthenshire. We were received by a friendly waitress that took us to a tiny table positioned just before the stairs so we asked to be moved , which was not a problem.
We sat by the window where we could see the cars speeding in the night. The table was also tiny, and there was no table cloth (not even a mat), but I had instead a loose TV aerial to play with at my feet. The décor is rather quirky, dominated as it is by a hideous red carpet (who puts carpets in restaurants these days?) and a low ceiling that makes it somehow claustrophobic.
Nobody told us anything about what was on the menu, and there did not seem to be any day specials. The menu is very meaty oriented. There was only one fish as main dish in the list (seabream) but after 20 minutes of waiting we were told it was sold out. One expects to be told this things before ordering. The people at the next table ordered Welsh black beef but a quick glance was enough to dissuade us, it looked dry and unappetizing . So we ordered a salad of smoked salmon and mackerel and a basket of bread with olive oil as starters, with risotto and stuffed chicken as main courses . No wine list was produced so we had to ask for one. The wine list is rather cryptic, it tells you the types of grapes your wine has but not where it comes from, or its vintage.
After another rather long delay, the starters arrived. The smoked salmon and mackerel salad was good but there was far too much lettuce and precious little fish in it. The basket of bread was just three pieces of anaemic, bland dough and not really the rustic, warm bread that we had anticipated. Try dipping that into olive oil, it will soak and become soggy like a sponge.
The risotto was slightly undercooked and utterly bland. It was just rice with big chunks of onion and tasteless mushrooms. It had a crunchy texture. Definitely not the creamy, oozy risotto the we had anticipated. My chicken was stuffed with pork and a tiny amount of mozzarella but this was again quite bland and pretty tasteless. In disappointment , and after another long wait, we asked for our bill. We waited for ages, so eventually we had to stand up and go the bar to pay.
We were asked how our food was and were given apologies for the wait. When we explained, the waitress was again apologetic and sympathetic, but lacking experience . In another place they would not had charged us for the risotto, which we had left half eaten in the plate . She asked us to fill a questionnaire with feedback, which we did (we learned then that they are asking customers to recommend this placed for Michelin rating – we could not believe it). She also called the chef, but he did not appear. We felt really awkward because she was obviously embarrassed (this at least shows she cares) but it was hardly her fault.
All in all, we felt cheated and mislead. It may be that we were really unlucky , and that this was just the chef’s bad day, but we feel this place badly needs a reality check. The staff were attentive and I am sure they were trying their best but they are not very professional .We were amazed that the place is getting such good reviews. The food is mediocre at best. We thought we may gone to a different place. We will not call again.

• Visited February 2013