“Do not stay here, terrible service.”
Review of Castaway Cove

Castaway Cove
Brisbane, Australia
“Do not stay here, terrible service.”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Please read the comments made by unhappy visitors and the responses the manager has made before booking a holiday at Castaway Cove - Noosa.

Some of the comments made are unbelievable !!!

It is such a shame that managers can get away with saying such appalling things. Do not give your business to someone with comments like the below.

My friends and I stayed at Castaway Cove last weekend and the attitude of the manager completely ruined the weekend for us, my birthday weekend. Our room had a faulty fridge and no hot water and we were told to just take cold showers and that we must have fiddled with the fridge to break it.

Finally, after a heated discussion with the manager, we were moved to another room which was very nice, although after being spoken to the way we were, we were all frustrated.

A few days later my credit card was charged because there was missing glasses and a fruit bowl. We did not break or take these items. When I called to question this and talk further about it, I was yelled at by the manager because I said, ‘I want to make sure nothing else will be charged to my credit card’ and she yelled back ‘don’t tell me how to do my job, I’ve been doing it for nine years’. Terrible, terrible service.

Do not stay at Castaway Cove, it was a stressful and frustrating experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank LJtravel2014
Glen T, Manager at Castaway Cove, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
This is in response to the reviews by LJtravel2014 and SM080190. These guests checked in to a 2 Bedroom Apartment for 2 nights as part of a group of 6 young girls who were here to party.

On the morning of the second day I was called over to their unit because they had no hotwater. The unit was in a bit of a mess even though they had only been there one night. I thought it was a simple fix involving tripping of the power circuit which had happened to a previous guest. This wasn’t the case. It turned out that the whole hotwater system had failed and had to be replaced, which was done a few days later at a cost to the owner of $1400, and was a major exercise. It was obviously not possible to do anything on a Sunday morning as I tried to explain to them. They just wanted it fixed and wouldn’t listen to my explanation!

Before I even had time to work out what could be done for the girls they were talking up compensation. There was no “heated discussion”, however there’s nothing that gets a Manager’s back up more than guests demanding compensation without due cause.

As anybody with their own house would know, appliances can break down at any time. Hotwater systems are not something that can be instantly replaced and we certainly don’t keep spares. These things occasionally happen and we have a clause in our terms and conditions that explains that we will do everything possible to resolve the situation, but we can’t perform miracles, particularly when we are entirely dependent on the availability of external contractors. There is no compensation payable in such circumstances.

We only had one other unit available for the weekend so we upgraded them to a Beach House at no extra cost, which belonged to a different owner, despite the fact that the latter’s tariff is double the unit they had booked. I explained that this would also mean double the cleaning charges as both units would need to be cleaned. Of course they weren’t remotely interested in the issues involved.

As it was quite hot mid-summer weather I merely asked them if they could make do with cold showers for one night which most people at this time of the year here have anyway. Many fair-minded guests wouldn’t be too worried about this and would be happy to get by in the circumstances.

They also claimed that the fridge didn’t work. This wasn’t true. They had turned up the temperature dial to max on the freezer section which then froze the pipe that connects the freezer to the lower section, resulting in no cold air to the bottom section. I tried explaining this to them and that the temperature dial needed to be always kept midway to get an even flow of cold air to both sections. They weren’t interested and wouldn’t admit to changing the dial. After they left we turned the fridge off for a day to defrost the pipe, and its now back to normal.

The next morning after their departure, my wife checked the Beach House and found several items of crockery and glassware to be missing. We know exactly how many of these items are in each unit and she checks before every guest arrives that everything is present. After heavy partying that night we were not surprised that some items were missing, probably broken. In accordance with our terms and conditions, signed by the guest, we were entitled to charge her credit card for any damages or missing items, and we did so.

Our guests are holidaying guests and not permanent tenants. No hotel or holiday accommodation property has the time to go through an inventory list with a guest and get them to sign off on it on check-in as well as on departure. This only happens with 6 month, long term leases. Most guests just want to get into their room as soon as possible and wouldn’t want to wait for an hour or so while an inventory was checked. Likewise many guests don’t want to be held up on departure and many just leave, some before our office opens, and don’t even bother to formally check-out at Reception.

It is a totally ridiculous and impractical suggestion to have an inventory check.

These girls should have been very happy that they got a free upgrade from a small 2 bedroom apartment to a very large 3 bedroom Beach House with bbq, spa and ocean views. The charge for the missing items was only $21.83 whereas the extra tariff for the Beach House was worth several hundred dollars.

Louisa rang and spoke to my wife to deny the missing items and was very rude and belligerent.

Whilst we are very sorry that the hotwater system failed, this is something that was out of our control. It really didn’t affect the girls party weekend at all.

I suppose it’s to be expected these days that bad reviews will be placed on sites such as TA from disgruntled guests who don’t want to admit their own failures.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We arrived and checked into a 2 bedroom apartment with no issues. Apartment was as expected, clean and tidy, fair size. Later in the evening we discovered that there was no hot water to the apartment. We found a number to contact the owners/ managers only in urgent situations and elected to wait until the morning.

In the morning the male owner/ manager came to our apartment to see if he could fix the problem (as this had happened to the last guests in this room and only required a switch to be flicked). When he discovered that this was not a simple fix he became quite rude to all in the room. He first informed us that "it's not winter weather, you can have cold showers" and we replied that this was not appropriate. He went on to continually tell us that we "booked the cheapest room" as if this did not entitle us to hot water. He told us that this was "not his fault" which we empathised with, however, we were not looking for a reason why it was broken, just for it to be fixed. He then explained that the hotel makes no profit from one night stays as it only covers the cost of cleaning, and he therefore did not want to relocate us. Again, we understood this however it should not be our burden to bear. After an extended discussion in which the manager was rude we told him that we would either like a refund, to be relocated or for the problem to be fixed. The manager pointed us in the direction of the Terms and Conditions, which we had already read, that stated they are not liable for breakdowns (and will not reimburse paying guests in this instance), however the same clause also states that the manager attend to the issues "as promptly as humanly possible." When we raised the issues of getting a tradesman (before rendering the issue unfixable without reimbursement) we were told that we "do not understand" and that tradesmen do not work weekends. As one of our party works for a plumbing company on the Sunshine Coast, that was working that Saturday (and all Saturdays) and other members of the party have family/ parnters in the building industry we know this is simply not true, and did not appreciate his condescending reply.

After this issue we were relocated to the Beach House. Again facilities as expected, clean and tidy, very large size overall, nice outdoor areas.

A few days after departing we were informed that several glasses, a single small plate and a single fruit bowl were missing after our departure. None of the guests in this unit took these items and we were not provided with an inventory nor did we complete a checklist on our arrival, however I can very safely say that none of our party has a penchance for stealing or random assorted items of crockery.

Overall, the dispute with the manager ruined the experience for myself and many of our party. I would not stay here again and would advise family and friends to stay away.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank SM080190

Travellers are raving about these Marcus Beach hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Our family stayed at the four bedroom beach house, every thing was functional, clean and tidy with a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge.

The lay out is on three levels with lots of space to separate the living areas from the bed rooms

Location is perfect with direct access to the resort pool and broad walk to beach access and easy drive to Noosa

Excellent value four bedroom accommodation

Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Peter L
Gympie, Australia
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

On arrival found a 'my apologies I am out of service' on the A/C. Went to reception where they told me it wasn't necessary (like i want to be told what i should expect when im paying the bill) and that we could upgrade for more money! I told them it said rooms had a/c on Internet he argued with me and told me "no refunds would be given if we went somewhere else". We went back to the room and later that evening when I had a shower I noticed mould everywhere in the bathroom & all over grout in shower and there was also sand in the shower. Clearly it had not been cleaned for some time. The tv reception cut in and out and the appliances were old. There were also filthy hand marks all along the walls down the stairs and curtains had mould too. On departure I told the receptionist that my room wasn't the best and they needed a professional cleaner to clean the bathroom as there was mould on all the walls and also sand in the shower on arrival and that the tv reception cut in and out. Her response was "ok ok whatever whatever". Not once did they thank me for staying there. I was extremely disappointed and will never stay there again. No hospitality skills whatsoever! And after reading all the bad reviews (which are the only ones that get a response from them)the only thing I could say is I would seriously consider somewhere else. The people who run this place have no people skills (clearly from reading how they bag out all the tourists that keep a roof over their head) and should get a new career path that doesn't involve wrecking people's holidays by being so negative arrogant and rude. And yes I'm Aussie but I'm sure these people will make out I'm full of it too by making something up! Don't disappoint yourself by staying here.

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank Maidens1
Glen T, Manager at Castaway Cove, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
I’m sorry you were disappointed with your stay. There are plenty of other reviews by very happy guests. Yes, one of the two air conditioners in the Apartment was out of service – it happens. It takes a long time for contractors to assess and repair or replace major items such as air conditioners.

Elise Shade argued that the unit was advertised as having air conditioning and therefore it should be supplied. She was told that this was absolutely not correct. Our “Apartments”, the cheaper end of our accommodation, are not advertised as having air conditioning, as most of them don’t. She was very lucky in getting this apartment which did have an aircon unit in the living area as well as one that did work in the master bedroom. I’m not even sure why she wanted air conditioning as the weather was extremely mild.

She was told that she could upgrade to one of the three other more expensive types of accommodation that we have which are air conditioned, but she did not want to pay for it.

Elise booked through Agoda.com. The room description for a 1 Bedroom Apartment on Agoda, which she obviously did not read, states “air-conditioning not available in all units”. The Agoda cancellation policy also states “This booking is non-Refundable and cannot be amended or modified”.

Just because one appliance didn’t work, doesn’t mean that a guest has a right to a full refund. This is also clearly stated in our booking and occupancy conditions on our website.

All of our units are cleaned by professional contract cleaners on every guest departure. We completely disagree with this guest’s complaint that the unit was not clean. She is nit-picking after the disappointment of one air conditioner not working.

The TV reception does from time to time cut out. This is a problem in our area with the TV towers, and the flakiness of digital transmissions, and we have absolutely no control over it.

What’s the point in providing a negative review for an appliance not working when we had no obligation to supply it in the first place ? This guest clearly made a mistake. Personal and derogatory remarks about the management, as retribution, does no-one any good and does not reflect well on this guest.
Toowoomba
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment with our family of 5 for 2 nights and found it to be very pleasant and enjoyable. The rooms were spacious with mildly dated but clean furniture. The outdoor private BBQ was excellent. The enclosed garages offer added security. The pool was the perfect temp and the kids loved it. The beach is only a short walk with the sound of the ocean able to be heard from most rooms.
Also, after we left I discovered I had left my pillow behind, I rang the managers and they could not have been more helpful in returning in as soon as they could. Would definitely recommend signing up to their email as they have some exclusive deals on offer.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Enjoyed a wonderful four nights at Castaway Cove Resort. The villa had absolutely everything we needed to ensue a comfortable stay. We did not have a car so used the public bus service which was convenient. The bus stops are pretty close to the resort and some of the bus drivers went the extra mile and dropped us right there. The manager was friendly and helpful. Such a peaceful location but close to Noosa and surrounding towns.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Castaway Cove Resort is easy to access by car. THey have parking for all room/units. The studios are ok but they do noe have cooking opportunities, only microwave. Visitors can cook on the shared BBQ in the pool area and the managers are happy to receive payment for upgrades.

The facilities were perfectly ok but even though the place was nearly empty there was very little flexibility for changes and rather poor complimentary service. If you are staying for a while bring everything you might need as they charge extra for everything from tennis equipment to toilet paper.

The location gave easy access to Marcus Beach (not attended by lifeguards), including walkways and bike paths. Great place for some peace and quiet.

Room Tip: It might be worth paying a little extra for a bigger unit if you are staying for a while.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Glen T, Manager at Castaway Cove, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Thanks Eva for your comments. I would just point out, for the benefit of future guests who may not realize, that we are not a hotel, but are a self-catering apartment complex, which basically means that we supply the room, and guests look after themselves. There is no daily service provision like there is with a hotel or motel.

Whilst there is no obligation on us to provide food or consumable items for the benefit of guests, we do actually supply free of charge some 26 consumable items which are enough for guests to get past the first night or two before they can go out and purchase their own supplies. We do, however, advise guests that once their complimentary supplies have been exhausted, they can purchase extras of us if they really need to. In regards to toilet paper, two full rolls are provided for each toilet in every unit. These should have been completely sufficient for Eva’s two night stay.

Eva booked one of our Studio Apartments which are not fully self-contained. These units are one of the cheapest available on the Sunshine Coast which is why they are very popular. However, you get what you pay for. They do not have cooking facilities other than a microwave and toaster. The facilities are clearly listed on any website where bookings can be made. We do not recommend a Studio unit for longer stays because of the lack of cooking and laundry facilities. Certainly Studio guests are welcomed to pay to upgrade to a 1 bedroom fully self-contained apartment if the Studio doesn’t meet their expectations, and we have one available.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marcus Beach
Sundancer Holiday Apartments
Sundancer Holiday Apartments
#2 of 7 in Sunshine Beach
Sofitel Noosa Pacific Resort

Been to Castaway Cove? Share your experiences!