“The worst nightmare”

Delmon Hotel Apartments
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Due to a change of plan, we had to book this hotel last minute, and as it was very reasonably priced and available too, we went ahead and booked it whilst being in Oman - worst decision ever.

Got to the hotel and check in went very smoothly - no issues there. Got to the room and our luggage was brought up for us, again no issues there. Upon initial inspection of the room, it seemed reasonable for the price quoted. The bathroom however had a very damp and disturbing smell - luckily I had air freshener which I used to cover up the permanent odour in the bathroom.

Decided to take a shower and freshen up. This is where the problems began. The bathroom was full of mosquitos and other insects, making it very uncomfortable to take a shower. My partner actually got bitten by one whilst in the shower, luckily I didn't. Nevertheless, the bath tub itself is a very awfully designed one, as is the shower. If you are anything above 5'6" expect to have a very annoying shower, as the shower pipe isn't tall enough to even reach past your neck. So basically I had to bend down to take a shower properly - quite uncomfortable. The water pressure is also very low which doesn't help at all.

Breakfast in the morning was decent, nothing amazing but sufficient. Buffet with the usual things to expect; sausages, beans, egg, toast, cereal, juice, tea etc.

The second morning, woke up to find the most gruesome and disgusting sight - a bed bug on the bed crawling around. Managed to catch it in a bottle, went to reception immediately to complain. The receptionist, surprisingly wasn't shocked to see this and simply gave us another room. Went through all the hassle of changing the room, but when I actually got to the other room I saw bed bug droppings all over the bed board. I was due to go out to sightsee with my partner so had no time to complain and move around again, although I had decided I would be leaving that same evening, and instead of sightseeing I dedicated that day to finding another hotel. Came back a short while after to have found that the air conditioning had leaked all across the bed and the bed was like a swimming pool.

To my relief I had found another hotel apartment, clean and recently built, for even cheaper - so I had no reason to stay at Delmon anymore. I went down to reception after packing my things to complain again about the second room and to say I would like to leave the room. The receptionist again offered another room, which I obviously refused.

When it came to checking out, the receptionist said because of all the trouble he would give me one day free (my booking was for 3 nights). How on earth was he giving me one day free, when I left on the second evening? I kept trying to explain to him that he wasn't giving me anything for free, but he was adamant he was. Nevertheless, I was in no mood to argue and ruin my holiday, so simply paid and left immediately to go and stay in the other hotel apartments, which were wonderful. (Jareez Hotel Apartments, for your information, which is in a very good location too - right next to muscat city centre).

Do not stay in this horrible hotel which is infested with bed bugs and has heaps of other issues! There are several other hotels out there which are very reasonably priced and would be clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Summer A

Reviewed 19 October 2013

we are looking for cheap apartment for one night in muscat and we find it. break fast was ok and Indian food were also included. Rooms and beds are very spacious.it is very near from ruwi and matrah.we again visit this apartment.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pradeep j
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed for two nights Good view of sun raise from the mountain if you take a room towards the eastern side.cheap price very near to ruwi church temple and defence exihibitionrooms were excellent , very spacious and well maintained and with a nice view with mountains across. Location too is convenient for reaching most tourist attractions. The only significant cause for...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Walter F
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Good value for money. Cheaper than many other hotels in Muscat. Due to the low season period and the absence of tourists, they upgraded our room from standard double to apartment. Location is very good to visit old town and the beaches located in the eastern coastline out of the city (i.e. Bandar al Khiran and As Sifa).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RReds
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We visited the place in end of December 2012. Had booked the two bedroom suite for a family of 4 including two kids. The rooms were excellent , very spacious and well maintained and with a nice view with mountains across. Location too is convenient for reaching most tourist attractions. The only significant cause for complaint was the check-in experience. There was a surly Indian guy at the reception with a definite disdain for fellow country men (us!) . We arrived about an hour before official check in time with two very exhausted, sleep deprived and cranky kids, and requested for an early check in. Despite rooms being available, the mentioned gentleman on duty refused outright and asked us to wait. Well, we did wait right in front of the reception for the whole hour, and as soon as the clock struck the appointed time, we asked him if we could have our room. Only at this point did he give us the forms to fill, and other formalities which further held us back for half hour..he should have at least finished this part of check in while we were waiting !! He seemed to be deriving some perverse pleasure in creating extra misery for us!
Am sure they can better the experience for travellers by having a pleasant smiling reassuring presence at the reception !

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nikhar r
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Spent 3 nights at Delmon Apartments Muscat.
Very well kept hotel, nothing fancy, but worth of money.
Big apartment ( we had separate living room and bed room, kitchen, 2 toilets, a bath room and a big balcony.
The breakfast included, it's ok.
The location is not best possible, but you need a car anyway, so it doesn't matter.

All in all, if you just need a clean, quiet place for sleeping without breaking the bank,
this is very good choice.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank JMKOO
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed 6 days during a recent fishing trip. As I was travelling solo, luxury wasn't a high priority. Bear in mind, this is an apartment hotel so don't expect a lot of service. Having said that, Delmon definitely offers value for the price:

1. Clean and spacious room;
2. Fixtures in good working order;
3. Wifi worked although reception was better in the lobby than in the room;
4. When I wanted something in the room it was delivered quickly;
5. Staff were very nice.

A few drawbacks:
1. You could hear the noise in the neighborhood but after one night I didn't notice;
2. Breakfast wasn't great, but this is an apartment hotel and there is a hypermarket across the road;
3. The location is away from the center, but you can reach Muthrah and the marinas within 10-20 minutes depending on traffic.

Room Tip: Top floor is quieter