“Good hotel for the price”
Review of Hotel Muscat

Hotel Muscat
Ranked #44 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Good hotel for the price”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel is about what I'd expect for the price. The biggest complaint I had was that the bed was obviously a well worn spring mattress and there were makeup stains on one of the "clean" towels in our room. Otherwise the room was spacious and clean and the concierge was helpful. Breakfast and free wifi were perks as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank clarksl1207

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was staying with a relative at Al-Khuwair road and therefore booked this hotel for my parents.

Rotana being in the centre of the city, close to my relatives' home, and having big rooms was a big plus for us.

All this turned sour on the last day of our stay when we discovered that mobile phones and foreign cash left in bags inside the rooms were stolen (Mobile phone did not have an Omani SIM and Indian currency was useless in Muscat - therefore these were left in the hotel).

On the last day of our stay, while my parents were out for a day long safari - despite a 'do not disturb' request, hotel staff entered the room, cleaned the room and also cleaned valuables kept inside the bags !

The hotel management acted very aloof when the issue was reported. And was not even willing to register our complaint.

After we mentioned a gazillion times about the money (and mobile) thefts, and after spending half an hour at the manager's room - she suddenly realizes that money was also stolen, making us wonder whether she was even listening for the first half an hour!

And the breakfast buffet is pretty ordinary, and priced much higher (for outsiders) than what it deserves.

And btw, if you have guessed it correctly till now - the locker provided in the room was not working (it was our mistake to not get the thing unlocked - but then you don't really expect thefts).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank rajibrborah

Travellers are raving about these Muscat hotels

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Positive:
- Central location, in the middle of Muscat.
- We needed an extra night and they accommodated us.
- Free internet

Negative:
- We booked a three bed option, but there were only two beds and a sofa. This was not specified when we booked.
- No towels when arrived, we had to ask several times
- Towels were ALL stained pretty bad with black and yellow stains
- Bad leakage in the bathroom floor, we slipped several times
- Loud music in the corridor from reception at 2 am, we had to call to turn it down
- Our breakfast was included in the rate, yet the waiter argued with us it was not

Mediocre:
- Breakfast is ok, but you can only get instant coffee otherwise you have to pay for any decent alternative

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nomade1111
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was dumped here by the Golden Tulip hotel which had overbooked. I arrived very late and went to sleep almost immediately. Got up and went for breakfast a bit bleary eyed. On my return to my room I put the keycard up to the door and nothing happened, tried again and notice that while there was no response from the lock the door moved. Gave it a push and door swung open. On investigation the door lock was missing - see photos. I know Oman is a low crime country but this is pushing it a bit. I would have gone and complained like mad, but I had to go to a meeting so I just paid and checked out

Pluses - staff were friendly, room was large and clean

Negatives - no door lock, room smelt strongly of smoke, furnishings were worn, nothing in minibar, breakfast selection was poor.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kitten C
UK
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I moved here from a truly bad hotel. The Rotana Muscat is not part of the International Rotana chain so no points.

It was clean and in a good position, there was a passable gym and a swimming pool in the basement. The breakfast was OK as well. Staff were good and the front desk team made you feel comfortable and welcome.

There isn't much to rave about, its functional and fulfils a need - but it is a good value, well positioned place and I may stay again when on business. As a holiday hotel it wouldn't be enough for me, but every place serves a purpose and as a budget business hotel in Al Khuwar it was fine.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in the rotana. The room was not very clean but bigger then other hotels like the ibis. The breakfast buffet was ver nice with a lot of choice. The only things i was not happy about is the unclean bathroom and the very loud climate.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank themaluco
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed for 5 nights on my own. Basic but clean room in a good location close to where I was doing business. Wouldn't want to stay here with my family, but ticked the boxes for solely wanting a place to sleep and shower at a reasonable price. I would use it again under similar circumstances.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muscat
Eastin Residences Muscat
#33 of 52 in Muscat
Ruwi Hotel
Ruwi Hotel
#1 of 10 in Ruwi

Been to Hotel Muscat? Share your experiences!