“Just terrific!”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I visited the Al Khuwair district location in Muscat and loved it! We didn't know what to order as the menu items names didn't make much sense to us (maybe because we don't speak Arabic) but the staff were helpful and spoke English good enough to help us. Sitting on the floor, with our shoes left behind by the front door, we took our places sitting on pillows, on the floor of our very own room. Although we only tried items suggested to us, I have a feeling that everything on the menu is worth trying. We had what the waiter called Arabic BBQ meat, and it was delicious! It was a lamb dish that fell off the bone at the slightest touch, smokey flavored and infused with spices I can't describe...but still salivate over. The whole meal was served with generous portions of Biryani rice and Naan. We also had some chicken dish, but the lamb overshadowed it and that's why I can't remember what the chicken dish was called. I do know however that my wife really enjoyed the chicken too. Order liberally as the prices are very reasonable and the service very good. The restaurant is billed as traditional Omani food and at least we found one dish to be original enough to fit that bill. Other dishes looked (by menu pictures) and sounded (by name) to be Indian or at least a fusion of Indian/Arabic dished. Nonetheless it's all good...a must try!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Had lunch here with my Arabic guide, eating with our hands and sitting on the floor. The food was great, especially the lamb. The fish was perfectly cooked. Great value. The downside was that the place is very basic and a little scruffy but glad I went there.

1  Thank FoodieGastroGourmet
Reviewed 27 September 2013

not as good as i have been told. many omany traditional food options. ask an expert before eating there. price is ok............................

1  Thank taldebsi
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is typical Omani normal restaurant, not exclusively for tourists but mostly for locals therefore don't expect sofas, couches and table or things made for tourists. You simple seat in your own non-windowed room (yes TV is a sort of disaster there..) like Yemeni style room, you seat on the ground or traditional cushion, food is served on one big plate so all guests eat from that plate like in East Africa countries. As for my taste food was yummy, the traditionally stewed for 12 h meet was so soft and extremely tasty with very unique taste, fish was good too. Prices are really decent as for Oman, notice Oman is not the cheapest country to travel around. Staff, is very accommodating and nice but not over overactive and unfortunately not local, notice Omani mostly don't work in services sector. I was reading this place is not clean, well I do not agree with that. I general if you look for fancy place go to Shangri La if you want to taste Omani cuisine and if you want something that feels local bar but authentic don't overlook Bin Ateeq.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Unfortunately ... it was my first visit & last visit ... very low class restaurant .. not clean ... the food quality very low .. I will never go there again .. traditional food supposed to be similar to home made food .. but this restaurant very far from this

3  Thank HMoosawi