“Beach & restaurant location”
Review of Al Qurum Resort

and 1 more site!
Al Qurum Resort
Ranked #6 of 27 Muscat B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Beach & restaurant location”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Muscat is spreadout so chose an area that suits your needs. I chose this for the location near the beach (so I could go for morning runs along the Corniche) and because there are a number of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel as we did not have a car (this includes the mall near the Royal Opera House which is 5-10 min walk). Plenty of taxi's not far from the hotel - you do need to negotiate - we paid OMR3 from the souq to the hotel (go to the back of the souq where the locals shop as I believe the taxi's on the waterfront side will request a lot more). Nice touch with the fruit and bottle of wine.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravellingFlower_13
659reservations, Front Office Manager at Al Qurum Resort, responded to this review, 11 October 2016
Dear Guest, Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to see you again very soon. Best Regards, David Fernandes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
zoe17
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The hotel is on the water, and I didn't have much time to spend on the beach. But it is close to a mall with Starbucks, Subway, and other stores.

I thought the room was over-priced for its quality, and had to wear slippers whenever in the room because the carpet was dirty.

People at reception were cordial and helpful. And I appreciated the complimentary computer in the business center.

The worst aspect of the hotel was the noisy party going on a an adjoining hotel, and I could hear their announcer and noise through my window even with earplugs on.

The best aspect of the hotel was the draft beer at the bar. All in all, I wish I'd spent less money and stayed at a cheaper hotel, because the quality of this hotel was not as I'd expected from tripadvisor reviews.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank zoe17
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Just returned from our October Eid break in Oman with mixed emotions - it wasn't exactly what we expected to be honest. About the hotel I've booked it in advance two months before the stay through booking.com after a week's "research". After the booking confirmation I received an email from the hotel notify me that I have to stay in a different room for the first night. I though that's ok and after a few... philosophical conversations with my wife decided to stay there. The first impression when we arrived in room 105 was not very good... and during this first night I got a nasty cold (from the A/C I think). The following day we moved in our room (102) - in our opinion the best room in this hotel.

Our first breakfast in the hotel's "restaurant" was also surreal - I think the owner should consider spending some money in this area! The breakfast was the same everyday - you can ask though for some "extras" without charge. They are supposed to serve fresh orange juice but I have a sense that they... cheat - I've got REAL fresh orange juice only the last day. What can really make the difference is that you can have breakfast in your room or even better in your balcony - we really enjoyed that.

A really strong point is the hotel's staff - they are all very helpful, polite and willing to make your stay the best they can. Another thing that you will appreciate is the swimming pool area - the pool is bigger than you think and is well maintained. Although the public beach is right outside the hotel it is not advisable to swim with your wife/girlfriend there - believe me you will feel very uncomfortable.

The most disappointing thing is the overall condition of the building and the theme-decoration: the hotel is a former Sheraton and the whole set-up reminds me an early 1990s US multinational hotel chain. Although the building, equipment and decoration standards are very high, they are more than 2 decades old and need urgently renovation. The A/C some times smells awful, needs to be cleaned - maintained.

Overall this is a three star hotel, sold as five, with five star services, fantastic location and a really urgent need for renovation. Well you can either love it or hate it (we loved it!).

Room Tip: Ask for Room 102 - you will not regret it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Babisyious
Muscat
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I am actually staying here just now (room 105) and have to say its excellent. It's Ramadan so no alcohol close by but if you are coming in you can buy beer or spirits from airport and there is also alcohol in mini bar.

Close by you also have Costa, Starbucks many burger bars and even a W.H. Smith. I will certainly visit again, probably in November.

Room Tip: Try and get room 105 - huge balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Derek H
Milano
Reviewed 29 May 2013

It's not what I expected, seeing the pictures on the web. I've been a little disappointed of the external status of the building. Interally the rooms are not so bad, a little kitsch, I'd say.
The external pool is conceived for families with children. From there a little metal door opens to the beach, through a few decayed stair-steps. I don't know, it could be better managed, need a face-lift!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rocco F
UK
Reviewed 19 May 2013

From the greeting by the jolly lady at recetion to the moment I left this was a great stay. I used to live in Oman 26 years ago and as I come back frequently I thought I knew the best places to stay but this one surprised me.
Rooms are spacious and have all the things you normally get in a much more expensive place. The restaurant seemed good (didnt eat there due to schedules) and the Irish bar is lively with reasonably priced drinks.
Breakfast is excellent, no huge selection but a good continental with fresh fruit. The swimming pool is shaded with netting to stop birds and is quite large and there is a gate from the pool area right onto Qurum beach.
The locality has coffee shops and restaurants within 5 minutes walk and if you want to spend money the Intercon is next door with all the usual restaurants that you would expect.
Only 7 rooms so plan and book early, no crowds as a result.
Bliss

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for seaview but all the rooms are good
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Keith1955
Sydney
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We have been having a bad run and wondering how much faith we can put in Tripadvisor reviews when a hotel can seemingly score so brilliantly and yet be so lacking when we are staying (and we are not generally negative reviewers).

This was the case for our weekend stay at Qurum Beach which is an otherwise great location with other hotels in the vicinity that probably offer more but were also similarly affected by our big complaint of the weekend we stayed - Noise! The reason why everyone in the area would be affected is that the noise in the garden 15 metres from our room could be heard over 1km up the beach from 2.30 pm until 3am the next morning.

When we heard the sound checks in progress soon after check in we asked reception when the noise would stop and were assured it would not go later than 11 pm. It was so loud we decided we couldn't laze by the pool and relax so headed up and up the beach trying to escape the bad 80s covers that went on relentlessly interposed by some congratulatory speeches. We returned to our room at 11pm but still it did not stop. We thought there was no point seeking another room as obviously the whole suburb could hear and we kept thinking it must stop soon, surely by midnight. But no. Apparently the embassy involved in this function received special permission to destroy everyone's peace until 3 am.

If we had any inkling of this and also the fact that the show continued all the next afternoon, we would have never checked in and would have found another place to stay. Even if it had not gone until 3 am, we were booking this location for a resort (therefore relaxation) stay and to have to spend the whole time away from the resort, we could have stayed at a lesser location. We were too tired to drive to do a day trip as well so it was a wasted weekend. Shame on the hotel for accepting a two day function booking without informing guests and without blocking out the rooms for those days to prevent this kind of negative feedback.

On the last morning, the music was packed up but then while we were sitting outside eating breakfast, the angle grinder breaking up the metal sound stage frame was making a huge racket 15 metres to the left and there were two fellows with mallets breaking up the pool tile surrounds 15 metres to the right. Stereo of the worst combination. I must say my nerves were shot. In fairness when we talked to the manager he was willing to consider a reimbursement of a night's stay but in retrospect we did not get very good value for our time and it was not a good impression of Muscat. A friend was staying at Grand Hyatt the same weekend and said he had a jackhammer a few metres away at breakfast so maybe it is just what happens in Oman!

The room was otherwise comfortable and very clean, there was water provided in the room and tea and coffee making, the breakfast very simple (no choices and served outside the restaurant), the desk staff not particularly helpful and not able even to provide a map let alone any suggestions, but the beach was lovely and very nice to swim at. Football games up and down the beach were entertaining to watch and there are a few small malls nearby with a range of food options. We found no supermarkets within a few kilometre radius and the reception did not know where one was either so bring some basic items with you or pick up when visiting other parts of the city.

Be warned about taxis as well. No meter means rip off and you should not get into a taxi without first agreeing to the price. This does not count at the airport where a man in the booth determines how much he thinks you are worth for the destination you name. We paid 8 Omani Riyals for our outward journey from the airport to Qurum Beach (only a 15 minutes ride as it turned out so very expensive compared to Dubai) but only 3 for our return to the airport by just hailing one going past. Beware of a axi with the number plate 1049 who ripped us off by agreeing (finally) to a price before we got in, telling us the whole way why he wanted more in the most unpleasant wheedling way and then refused to give us change when we handed over a larger note (Tip - carry small change to ensure this doesn't happen in a taxi!).

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple