“Seeing is believing for bad reviews”

Waves International Hotel
Ranked #37 of 56 Hotels in Muscat
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Seeing is believing for bad reviews”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We were booked at this hotel for our stay in Muscat through our tour company (Golden Tours, which I do not recommend). I found it hard to believe the negative reviews on TripAdvisor, but I can now say that most of the complaints are probably true.
The room was just okay in terms of furniture, although it was quite clean, the general feel was old and a bit dingy.
As other travelers have reported, our hot water was cut off after our first night's stay and repeated calls to the front desk, transfers to housekeeping, visits to the front desk and promises that the problem would be fixed yielded 0 results.
Staff seemed to have good intentions, but were ineffectual and had very little training in tourism services.
Breakfast is ok, but stick to Arabic options. Try the Foodlands restaurant a few blocks down for great Indian food.
We would love to return to Oman, but we will choose a different hotel in Muscat.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SCCR506

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Krungthep Mahanakorn
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This new hotel with large suite rooms had potentials ruined by unprofessional staff. Although we booked a suite for three, an extra bed wasn't yet arranged when we arrived (10 pm already). When a Filipino showed up with a rolling bed, he asked "do you need a pillow?" Of course! I then had to ask for extra towels, soap, shampoo, etc. but the request for a pair of slippers couldn't be accommodated because "the hotel had a policy of giving only 2 pairs per room." The reception wasn't always friendly either. They were reluctant to book dinners for us at the Crowne Plaza but at least they were willing to call a cab, a rarity in this oil-rich country, as the hotel wasn't conveniently located for sightseeing, shopping or dining.

What we liked most was the breakfast: lots of choices particularly yummy Arabic sweets like mouhalabieh and halwa.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank PORhibido
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The double room was spacious and comfortable, with a large bathroom and huge shower. The hotel staff were friendly and the waiting staff in the restaurant were very nice. The food was good, especially the breakfast which had a lot of choice.

I would say however that it was more like a 3 star hotel than a 4 star, which I would expect to be a lot more luxurious.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed here one night while on holiday and found it to be a nice hotel though lacking a bit of character. The rooms are quite modern and ours was clean with a big comfortable bed. There was some confusion about whether our booking included breakfast or not (so if you organise through a travel agent and pre-pay then double check before you go) and in the end we found out it DID include breakfast but by then we were already on our way out the door. We used their airport transfer service to the airport and found it to be reasonably priced (for Muscat) and quick. There aren't many restaurants or shops immediately next to the hotel but it's a short walk (5-10 mins) to the main street where there are a few restaurants, a McDonalds and a hypermarket.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank missyb_11
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 November 2012

This establishment must be scrapping the bottom of the barrel of hotels and certainly does not deserve the four stars it claims to have. Four star hotels have hair dryers, and nowadays, have irons and boards in all rooms as standard. Not Waves. You have to ask for them. Breakfast, I was told, starts at 06:30. Not it doesn't. It starts when the chef and his staff wake up and get the food into the restaurant. I was told to wait 10 minutes as the flurry of activity ensued when they realized they were late. At 6:50am when I left for an 8:00am appointment - Muscat traffic is horrendous so leaving at the last minute is not an option - the restaurant was still not open. I ate at my destination and brought back the receipt to be deducted from the hotel bill. The room smelled very strongly, though the floor was 'non-smoking'. Perhaps it permeates from the floor below. Or perhaps there is another reason: filth. When I complained about the appalling service, the "Supervisor"(an individual called Daniel) told me that my comments were "my opinion". A picture tells a thousand words, Mr Daniel. Your "team" are clearly not being checked because the level of slime found in the corners of the shower was highly visible. Thank you for providing the dental kit, the brush was used to do a spot of cleaning - the cleaning your staff "team" should be doing. Now we come to room service. Firstly, the number has changed. It is not the one found on the phone, but Mr Daniel's "team" hasn't got around the changing it. I don't know why. There were more individuals hanging around the reception desk looking terminally useless than plants used to hang in the Gardens of Babylon. I had to go down to reception when no fewer than four Room Service staff failed to recognize items of the "best chosen selection" on my menu book. One of the Hangers Around said he would make sure the order was relayed. Twenty minutes later I receive a call from Mr Daniel. It is 10:45pm - not exactly late in this part of the world and "we serve 24/7, sleeplessly waiting to serve you" - but certain dishes are not available. I inform him, when I can get a word in edgeways because he has the annoying habit of talking over his customers to ensure his view is stated but theirs it not heard, I am driving back to the UAE in the early hours of the morning and I want some sleep. Instead I am waiting an interminable time for countless useless staff to get a simple order together. When it arrives, I understand why it took so long. Carrots have been cut into flower shapes and the level of decoration far exceeds the quality of the food. Had I been able to drop one of the shrimps out the window from the 6th floor, it would have bounced. For a hotel in a city on an ocean full of shrimps, this is inexcusable. Things I have not asked for arrive. Parking: only small cars can access the basement parking. Anything larger than a SMART car and you won't get it down there. There is plenty of parking to the front, sides and back of the hotel and it is free. Would I stay here again? Only if I was a complete sucker for punishment. Waves is a very poor quality hotel that ought to be checked out by the health authorities and stripped of its stars. If those Hangers Around with their hands in the pockets were actually doing something, the place might improve. Muscat is full of excellent hotels. This is NOT one of them.

Room Tip: Do what you would in a far cheaper hotel in less salubrious parts of the world - check out the room...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank MasafiOne

Travellers are raving about these Muscat hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Stayed for one night on business, and was impressed with the quality of the modern room I stayed in. From the outside the hotel looks older in style, however rooms have been reonvated to new four star standards. Very comfortable bed, excellent shower and bathroom. Good speed WiFi access. The hotel offers a main restaurant, Omani restaurant, and a cafe with sheesha service and outside seating. Only had the chance to try our the main restaurant for breakfast, and this was of standard and quality expected with good variety. The location is very handy, near the airport, and within easy access to many key areas of Muscat. Service was friendly and helpful, the porter ran to get my room key when it was left at reception on checkin, and also staff contacted me the next day to inform I had left my passport at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Due to business reasons I have been travelling frequently to Muscat, staying at the Waves Intl.
Since beginning of the year, the service has declined both on arrival and during the stay.
Reception staff is poorly trained in handling a check in and not welcoming or hospitable. Did not greet on arrival, nor wish a good stay.
Breakfast has a very poor selection and is now the main point for not coming back.
Wifi now available in the rooms, very good.
Small cafe on the ground floor is very nice, staff are friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking room in advance.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business