“Great Location & Service”

Crowne Plaza Muscat
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
London, United Kingdom
“Great Location & Service”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Just one night at the Crowne Plaza but wish it was longer. Dubious start as my colleague had booked our rooms for the next night, incorrectly. Ashley, who checked us in, swiftly found us rooms with a minimum of fuss and cancelled the incorrect booking. The room really was excellent although I could not connect to the wifi and the Eames desk chair in my room was a cheap Chinese fake rather than an original from Vitra - surprising in a hotel of this quality. Bed and bathroom were excellent, important points for a one-night stay. The bar was good fun although full of tourists enjoying a loud quiz via a PA system - beware this if travelling on business. Ate at the Italian restaurant but had to persuade the staff to seat us at one of the many empty outdoor tables, they wanted us to sit inside and have a drink whilst they checked bookings.....at 2200 at night! Food was good but not great. Was able to check out in the exec. Lounge in the 6th floor the following morning, which was helpful. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to an exec. room........
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip advisor. I am very happy to know that our staff worked expeditiously to find you a room after the incorrect booking. However we do apologise for not being able to connect to the Wi-Fi and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I always stay here when in Muscat - i prefer it to the Intercon and sitting on the cliff top it has better views in my opinion. The staff are very attentive and the food is good. Downside is the rooms are a little small and the bathrooms not big at all (but they do have decent lounging baths, so can't be all bad). The seafood buffets on a thursday/friday is especially good and recommended.

Room Tip: try and book a sea view room - the view is great.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David S
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I was very delighted to read that you chose Crowne Plaza Muscat as your preferred hotel when you visit Muscat. It is certainly a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to your continued patronage and welcoming you back to our hotel.
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This review is only for the Crowne Plaza Muscat's customer service.

My husband and I planned on spending two nights at the Crowne Plaza in October to celebrate a special occasion. The day before our arrival the hotel called my husband to inquire about our celebration and to ensure they had an appropriate surprise waiting for us. Unfortunately, I became ill that evening and was to sick to travel by the following morning. When my husband called to cancel our stay, we were not charged any cancellation fee or a one-night stay (which we were anticipating). The staff merely wished me a swift recovery and hoped that we would be able to stay with them in the future.

Overall, the staff went above and beyond what we were expecting! We will definitely stay here when we do finally make it to Muscat (which is tentatively planned for January 2014).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NOnionsXPickles
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip advisor about our customer service. It was unfortunate that you got ill and had to cancel your trip to Muscat. However we certainly look forward to welcoming you and your husband to Muscat and Crowne Plaza in the New Year.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I am a constant traveler, I have to travel a great deal for work. This was my fourth visit to Muscat and my first stay at my the Crown Plaza. I have stayed at many Crown Plaza hotels and can assure you that this one is a Crown Plaza in name only.

When booking I had booked a sea view room. On arriving at the hotel I was told that there were no sea view rooms available so would have to stay in a city view room. City view really means looking out over a car park. After seeing the room I decided to cancel my booking and move to another hotel. I really felt that paying over $300 per night to look at a car park was unreasonable. I was then informed that because the room had been prepaid I could not have my money refunded. If you are considering this hotel be aware the the hotel has a large number of "city view" rooms. The hotel also has two wings. An old wing and a new wing. The old wing is dark and dingy, unfortunately the new wing is not a great deal better. I had a number of other disappointing experiences during my stay.

I strongly recommend making another choice of hotel. Check out the Al Bustan Palace or the Shangri La. They are far superior to this very disappointing hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Stephen G
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Muscat. I was very disappointed to read that our room did not meet your expectations and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by the unavailability of the sea view room. I will pass all of your comments onto management for careful consideration and review. Please do not hesitate to contact me on adam.beadon@ihg.com for any additional feedback or future assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed there a in January. Had a great time there, service excellent, venue great. There's a nice Starbucks on the road leading up to this hotel as well. Good base to see Muscat and see the market (which is fab) - better than the souks in Dubai - more real. Having its own beach was a real plus - out kids 8 & 6 loved it. Safe environment.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip advisor. It was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us here at Crowne Plaza Muscat and I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed 5 days with 2 friends in a family room to celebrate our friendship for more than 35 years. Huge place and comfortable !! Beautiful garden with every day gardeners. Swimmingpool really enjoyable with delicious drinks and snacks. Small nice private beach (perhaps for elder people a bit difficult to reach, due to a lot of steps). Staff always friendly and helpfull. And having breakfast is really a party.....delicious food, fruit, juices etc. And a special thanks to the Duty Manager Sarfaraz Sayed. He arranged our tours, taxis and give good advice about restaurants to eat in Muscat. If possible, I will return for sure to this very great hotel !

Room Tip: If you like more space, just take a family room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
It was a pleasure having you and your friends stay here with us at Crowne Plaza Muscat and we thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was happy to read our staff was very helpful and that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings which are certainly delightful. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the staff mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the near future.
Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We had such a good time here; whilst not a brand new mega-hotel, it is clearly being updated well, and the service is great. Fears from negative reviews here were unfounded. Key points:-
1. Location - lovely location on a cliff top, with good views out across Qurum beach over towards the Opera House, the Intercontinental etc., and Qurum Heights (pleasant suburb) the other way. It's a nice walk down to the beach road, with plenty of cafes along the front, lots of locals and expats enjoying the sea air. It's in the middle of Muscat, with Muttrah, Old Muscat and Ruwi on one side, and the newer bit (airport, Opera House, Qaboos Mosque) on the other.
2. Service - outstanding, right from the speed at which they answered e-mail enquiries before we arrived, the excellent front desk staff (Sarfraz, Hassan, Charlotte and Mahdi were all very helpful), the room service staff who were prompt and left the room very tidy, the Pool bar staff and - especially - the lovely staff in the Qurum Club Lounge. Taxi service straightforward.
3. Room quality - stayed in a recently refurbished Club room with a wonderful view. Very nice room and bathroom, nothing too glitzy but just a beautiful peaceful environment.
4. Club lounge - beautiful new space, lovely terrace which was wonderful for a sunset afternoon tea / evening drink. Terminals for e-mail etc. Good food and drink throughout day including a Nespresso machine, do-it-yourself orange juicer at breakfast (SUCH FUN!), meat and cheeses at lunch, great scones for afternoon tea, and a nice place for an evening beer and G&T / snack. We really enjoyed this facility (and was surprised how relatively quiet it was) - worthwhile upgrade for us.
5, Restaurants - really good - we were on an "Oman escape" dinner included deal (obviously we paid for drinks), and we enjoyed the food in the Tropicana (buffet and barbeque - lobster on Thursday / Friday was great), Shiraz Iranian, Dukes English pub style (had a good quiz night which was fun), and the Edge Pool bar area. On which subject...
6. Pool and Gardens - pool approx 25m long, with a small separate childrens' pool; may be a little long in the tooth, but the staff made an effort to keep it clean. Nice pool bar, where the fruit juices were EPIC! Pineapple and lemon-mint especially... Garden beautiful, lovely palm trees to laze under, great views, green parrots flying through. All ages and nationalities by the pool, good atmosphere. Beach nice - loungers, lots of fish in sea, herons etc, very gently shelving beach.

Bottom line - a great place to stay, good service, not super glitzy but we absolutely loved it.

Room Tip: Refurbished club rooms cost a little extra but in our view were well worth the premium.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tractorinsmog
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such thorough review on your recent stay here at Crowne Plaza Muscat. It is pleasing to know that you enjoyed your stay and I was very delighted to read about your experience and your comments which entail so many aspects of our hotel and highlighting the areas that made a difference.
Your kind comments are surely appreciated and will certainly be shared with the staff mentioned. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.