“Great hotel”

Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Muscat
Liedekerke, Brabant, Belgium
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed in Executive Suite using The Entertainer vouchers. (great deal!)
We were 4, which wasn't a problem because the suite is huge and in the living area there's a huge amount of space for the 2 extra beds.
The suite was excellent, with very comfortable beds and a huge bathroom.
Only 1 downside: the room is not very ergonomic for high people. Just a silly example: I didn't see half of my head in the mirror (and ceilings are pretty low too).
I liked the balcony although it would be better if it'd be slightly larger. (in particular the one with sea-view)

Overall I liked the way the personnel interacted. They were very friendly and very helpful. All my requests were promptly met, with a smile.

As for the club lounge, I would really like to complement the hotel with that! There are 2 lounges: 1 for Platinum members and 1 for paying guests (club room / suite).
The paying lounge was awesome, personnel was always very helpful, friendly and welcoming. They also made sure there was no shortage of anything and also during happy hour they warned everyone in advance about closing the open bar.
The food was excellent, we didn't even need to go anywhere thanks to the all-day snacks available and the truly delicious evening food spread.
Moreover the happy hour (6-8PM) featured high quality spirits, beers and really good wines. Especially the red wine was excellent!
The only real shortage of the lounge is the shortage of outside sitting area. It gets crowded in the evening and there was always a wait for a table outside. But once seated you can really enjoy your drink and food with stunning views and relaxed ambiance.

So overall a great hotel to stay at! Especially in Muscat, where not a lot of hotels are available. The Crowne Plaza has a reasonable price, compared to other top hotels.

Room Tip: Suites for families is a good deal.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for Choosing Crowne Plaza Muscat and for taking the time to share your complimentary review about your recent stay. I am very pleased to read that you found the beds to be comfortable and that our staff was able to fulfill all of your request. I am very happy to note your positive feedback on our food and beverage offerings and especially the happy hour. I am delighted that you got to experience and enjoy it.

It was a pleasure having you and your family stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE!

Terrible food, terrible service, horid facilities and to top it all very expensive whereas all you need to do is stay at one of the 3 arms of the Shangri La or Chedi for the same price.

This hotel is the worst hotel I have stayed in. It needs closing down.

They would refund any of our money when upon arrival we wanted to leave as we did not get what the tin said on it but hey we were in the middle of no man's land which it is.

Oman has few things to do although dolphin watching is nice. They offer to let you swim in the ocean but do not mention that these are shark infested waters.

A nice country with a very welcoming local population. It is cheap (except we got taken for a ride with the hotel) and not very busy i.e. a nice alternative for Dubai regulars. However, don't go for more than 3 to 5 days and stay in the best hotels as names and do not compromise as otherwise that they will do to another level.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S C
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our main goals at the Crowne Plaza Muscat is to deliver positive and memorable experiences to our guests. We work hard to ensure our facilities and services are to a high standard, I am disappointed to read that we fell short of your expectations and our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Ruthin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

A lovely private beach, nice hotel, altho the restaurants and bar etc are very over priced. Comfortable rooms. As others have commented, the wifi is so frustrating it's worse than useless. The initial good impressions of the hotel were quickly lost when I tried to do some work.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on trip advisor about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that you like the hotel and staff and found the room to be comfortable. I am sorry that your stay was negatively affected by the internet connection. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Very nice but, like any other Muscat Hotel, its very expensive for what it offers. The Hotel is simply a nice oasis within a boring and bland city. The Wi-Fi in the rooms is exceptionally slow and almost unusable......I had to go to the lobby to search on-line for museum opening times, restaurants and to download maps. Others were doing the same. The vacum cleaner was left in the middle of the corridor every day and even overnight for the entire duration of our 4 day stay........no effort was ever made to hide it at the end of each day and we had to walk past it each time we went to our room.
And the staff check in staff are ineffective as ever.....when I checked in I asked if there was the option to stay an additional night but was told the hotel was full. However, over four rooms were available when I searched on line.
Having said all that, we had a very nice large, clean, comfortable and tastefully styled family room with Queen size bed and two further single beds for our children. The view was lovely and at the bottom of the grounds there were steps leading down to a very pretty little private cove and beach.
Breakfast is very good with outdoor poolside tables. In the evening there is a buffet with BBQ but we used the pub menu and ate on the balcony which had a lovely view. The Persian and Italian restaurants looked deserted and short of atmosphere.....perhaps as they don't open til 7 pm.
Muscat itself is very disappointing. Museums are closed every day from 1 pm until 5 pm and closed all day on Fridays and Saturdays. The city has no promenade and no central pedestrianized area or restaurant area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us at Crowne Plaza Muscat. I am very pleased to read that you found the room to be comfortable and enjoyed our breakfast offerings with compliments of the beautiful view. However we do apologise for inconvinience caused by the vaccum cleaner left in the corridor. I have passed your comments onto Management for careful review and consideration. Please do not hesitate to contact me on adam.beadon@ihg.com for any additional feedback or future assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.
London
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Muscat from the 22nd March - 30th March.

We chose the hotel as a base from which we could explore, not only Muscat, but Oman. Price for price we felt that the Crowne Plaza provided the best offer. We opted for a Club Room which gave us access to the Club Lounge. The Club Lounge provided us with breakfast, morning coffee/sandwiches, afternoon tea and evening snacks and drinks. We also had access to the internet and printers. This was included in the price and made the Club option far more cost effective when compared to the other hotels.

We also wanted a hotel which was based in Muscat and relatively close to the sites etc. The Crowne Plaza was very well located.

The hotel also has it's own private beach, pool, pool bar, tennis courts, gym, sauna, steam room etc. So the facilities from our point of view ticked all the boxes.

The hotel has several restaurants and a pub bar. We tried all of them and the food was good. In particular we can recommend the sea food buffet evening as well as the Shiraz Restaurant.

The staff where excellent and everyone we dealt with could not have been more helpful or friendly.

For the ladies there is a hairdresser/beauty salon which was good value. I had my hair done twice and they made a fantastic job of the blow dry.

I really can't fault the hotel or its location. The room we had may not be as glamerous as some places we have stayed in, but it was a good size and very, very clean. It had everything we needed for a pleasant stay. We had room 649 (sea view on the same floor as the Club Lounge). The room was peaceful.

We dined out at The Turkish House (opt to eat at the original building at the back), Al Maida and Kargeen Cafe (lovely setting, but I have to say we didnt think the food brilliant).

Room Tip: We asked for one of the newly renovated rooms. We where located in room 649 which was on the Club L...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Muscat and for taking the time to share such complimentary and thorough review about your stay on trip advisor. I am very happy that you chose the club room which gave you access to the Club Lounge and enjoyed its offering. I am very delighted that our facilities ticked all the boxes and that you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings especially our seafood bbq night.

We continually work hard to ensure guest satisfaction and I am very happy to see that reflect in your stay. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the future.
Shropshire
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights, it was one of the best hotels in relation to location, staff and food I have stayed at. The staff were so friendly and caring. We had a Club room which had a balcony view on two sides which was lovely, overlooking the sea and town. The facilities were great, pool and private beach, tennis court. Tropicana restaurant breakfast was more than enough, so much choice and always topped up.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Adam B, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Muscat. We appreciated your remarks regarding location, staff and food. We do boast one of the best location in Oman and I am very happy you enjoyed the view. we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I really wanted to like this place, but the poor service to which we were continually subjected have secured my unfavorable review. Want good service? Just say no to the Crowne Plaza Muscat and stay elsewhere.
As an initial note of the lack of management's attention to detail, let me say that the hotel's website advertises the availability of a guest self-laundry/washer and dryer. If you have come from camping or other active adventures this is appealing. However, upon inquiry on check in, we were told there is only a housekeeping laundry service available -- and our inquiry was met with surprise that we would even ask. As of today the website still advertises the self-laundry, so clearly we were not mistaken.
The service at the hotel's restaurants ranges from barely adequate to nonexistent. Several times we sat down and were ignored until we got up to ask for menus. On one occasion at the pool front cafe we found no one even working there; upon walking all the way inside to the front desk to ask if the cafe was closed, we were told it was open. On the most memorable occasion, we were led to a table at the outdoor portion of the "British pub." After watching the wait staff pass by our table ignoring us for 15 minutes (seems they were too busy setting more tables to put additional paying fannies in the seats and milling around chatting), we finally left without having seen so much as a drink or food menu. Upon inquiring at the front desk about nearby restaurants, we were told about the Rock Bottom cafe, within walking distance at the Ramee Guestline hotel. Had we known about this earlier, we would have eaten there on other occasions. Although the Crowne Plaza is on the beach, it is rather isolated and to stay there without a car is not advisable as you will face the choice of taking a taxi elsewhere or being a prisoner to the hotel's poor service. (Hard as we looked, we found no literature in the lobby or guest room which offered suggestions for nearby restaurants.). If you wish to be on or near the beach, we recommend that you stay at the Intercontinental, which has many restaurants and coffeeshops nearby, or even the Quurm Beach Resort (likewise). For that matter, to save some cash try the Ramee Guestline -- not on the beach, but guess what? We observed Crowne Plaza employees in the pool area offering tours of the facilities to non-hotel guests interested in purchasing day passes to use the premises. This would explain the large backpacks carried by some persons into the pool and beach area. Our compliments to a polite young employee who showed us the secure, clean locker room at the health club only on the day of our departure, when we asked about towels and a place to shower in advance of an evening flight. If only the front desk staff had thought to tell us about this when we had inquired about late checkout. Another problem at the hotel were multiple elevator banks, unlabeled, some of which do not go to all guest floor areas, but apparently all of which are frequently used by service staff pushing around very large carts. Unacceptable to have no dedicated service elevator at a hotel of this supposed star level. Finally, let us say that the sea view rooms, while having good views, also have views of the pool area and are exposed to very loud pool noise during much of the daytime hours. We could say more -- but what's the point? Sad to have our last days in Oman spoiled by this choice of hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are above pool and often noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with us. We work diligently to provide the best possible service and memorable experience to all our guests and I am very disappointed to read that our service failed to do so. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the customer service lack thereof.
We value all guests’ feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our service and guest experience.