“very nice place”

Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Muscat
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
“very nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

Stayed for 9 days. Regular double room with partial ocean view. Good size, quiet, clean, with comfortable beds. The food was somewhat expansive but very good. We enjoyed the twice daily free shuttle to the souq and/or shopping centre. We had excellent service from everyone, but Ali Juma Obaid Al-Maani (from the car rental agency in the hotel) went far beyond the call of duty. We really enjoyed our stay and would go back any day.
Only 2 negative points: there should be free internet access for hotel guests and we have noticed that the Pool Bar employees did not wash the glasses!!! They were barely hand rinsed and reused, which is totally inacceptable.(We suggest bottled drinks at the pool)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
RonnyFFOM_CPMuscat, Manager at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 5 April 2011

We take all feedback as constructive and your points have been passed onto our Operations Team.

The hotel does offer half an hour of free internet access per day per guest but past this time the service is chargable. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We hope to be able to welcome you back very soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

My company useually books with the Crowne Plaza, and I have to say, I hardly am ever disapointed. and this trip to Muscat was no different. The service is always up to standard, though I have to agree with one of the others who gave But otherwise, the room is spacious and comfortable, the staff at the reception ver helpful and friendly.
All in all, would recommend it to any business traveler.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments and we assure you of our continued excellant service on your next visit to Muscat and Oman
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

Our room was a bit on the small side, with no balcony. It was however clean, comforable and had a lovely large bed. Where the Crowne Plaza really scores is its situation, views and outdoor facilities.
Positioned at the east end of Qurum beach, and at 90 degress to that beach on 50ft high limestone cliffs, it is a dream of a location. Absolutely stunning at at sunset (particularly with a glass of wine) with uninterrupted views of the sun sinking into the Gulf of Oman. Just classic memories.
The pool on the cliffs was rather small but adequate, and also had a lifeguard. There was also a shallow childrens pool, and sun loungers with pool bar /waitress service.
We had decided on the Crowne Plaza as it had a private beach; it was a perfect location being a small 100 yard frontage enclosed by limestone cliffs. Which with the 40C+ heat andno breeze meant we soon sought out the cooling sea. the small cove had crystal clear water but only 2ft deep- impossible to swim. Lovely clean (but hot ) sand.
Other facilities;-
Dukes bar had a Thursday afternoon meat roast (in 40 degree heat) to mark the start of the weekend; it also featured a sports bar theme and a driving disco beat, which was somewhat at odds with the rest of the hotel.
The Persian restaurant next door was highly popular, but we opted to eat outdoors in the Come Prima Italian restaurant. This was definately a splurge, where the food , the wine, the service and particularly the evening view over the beach was everything you would hope for, and more. The bill was definately upper end as well.
The Crowne Plaza has exceptionally helpful and friendly staff, with a lovely situation, and just about the right level of facilities coupled with great food.
We would definately stay at the CP again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cherriesfan_9
RonnyFFOM_CPMuscat, Executive Assistant Manager at Crowne Plaza Muscat, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Cherriesfan_9,

thank you for your uplifting and positive feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Muscat.

We are glad that your stay with us was enjoyable and we indeed hope to welcome you back at our hotel in the future.

With kindest regards,
Ronny Fuss.
High Wycombe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

The Crowne Plaza is on a small peninsula sticking out at the end of its long beach and therefore offers great views along the length of Qurm beach.

The hotel has a small private beach which is separated from the main public beach by an inlet the fishing boats use. However it is worth walking around the road and down to the public beach. The locals cruise the beach road in their super cars and SUVs, on Thursday nights the Indian's come to the beach to fly kites and barbeque. There is a nice bar / restaurant and a Starbucks along the beach road.

The hotel itself is a concrete building much like typical large beach hotels of the '80s. It has a well heated outdoor pool, tennis courts and pool-side bar.

My room was fairly plain and without a balcony. The orientation of the hotel means that rooms on that side have a great view looking straight down the beach, but you pay extra for this.

Unless you are booking this hotel as part of a holiday package be aware that it is expensive, especially with extras like Wi-fi. Breakfast is very expensive and the prices quoted exclude tax, so you could have a shock when you go to check out.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Dear Sabconsulting,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Crowne Plaza Muscat on TripAdvisor.

We have shared your comments with our team and would like to get more feedback in regards to the WiFi and breakfast pricing in order to have a better understanding of our guests expectations.

Please feel free to contact me directly on ronny.fuss@cpmuscat.com.

With kindest regards,
Ronny Fuss.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

The desk staff were extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming. The concierge and bell staff were knowledgable and gave me much needed information about where to shop, what to buy etc. The room service was quick and efficient and the food was excellent.

The pool was good and the private beach was cosy and exclusive. The gym is well equiped and the sauna and steam room facilities are both great and most importantly clean and well kept.

The downside seems to be one or two staff issues. The room service staff need to be informed that a tip isn't something you ask for but something you are given at the guest's discretion.

Also while the gym instructor, was a proffesional,( she was wearing gym gear), she was very overbearing and condescending to the gym users. I think she needed reminding that her salary is paid for by the guests!! I had a much better workout when the other staff were on duty.

Overall a very decent stay. It is true that Oman is very welcoming and friendly country. I won't let the militant Gym instructor ruin my stay!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Dear Eljaymack,

thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Crowne Plaza Muscat.

Please accept our apologies for the two staffing issues you have encountered during your stay, we have discussed your comments with the staff members and their respective managers in question.

We are glad you enjoyed the facilities and your overall stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

With kind regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

I am staying here for two nights on my way back to Australia from Europe. It is my first time in Oman and next time I plan to stay much longer and explore. Before I arrived in muscat I'd just stayed at the Crown Plaza on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi so was expecting great things (hotel on Yas is spectacular). Don't expect a doorman to open doors or help you with your luggage here - although to be fair someone brought it up to me later. This is just a fairly comfortable somewhat dated hotel. My room overlooks the parking lot although I did ask for a room overlooking the ocean and I believe the hotel is only at about 60% capacity. No balcony although I asked for one and am a priority club member!
The hotel is a long way from anything so you will need to get a taxi - from airport it was about 8 rials (about 24 aud). I hired a taxi driver one night who took me to the souq in muttrah (amazing!) and waited for two hours - this cost me only 7 rials (21 AUD). Also hired him for a day trip to all the sights for 25 rials.
On the plus side, my room is quiet - I believe I am on a 'quiet' floor - i.e the least attractive rooms maybe:) nice Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom, very pleasant bell boy and concierge, beautiful private but very stony beach, nice pool. Have not eaten at restaurants so can't comment. Free fruit bowl in room which is a very nice touch! All in all this is a nice hotel just not special in any way:)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank adventuress2010
Dear Adventuress2010,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Crowne Plaza Muscat. We appreciate your valuable feedback.

Being a 35 year young hotel we understand that the hotel shows its age in places and we apologise for not being able to provide you with one of our balcony seaview room at the time of your stay.

Our Quiet Zone rooms are part of the Crown Plaza Sleep Advantage program and i can assure you that these rooms are in no way different than the other rooms in the property, the are just quieter :-).

Thank you for complementing the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, it is indeed a spectacular addition to our brand and we our proud of it.

I hope to welcome you back at the Crowne Plaza Muscat on your next travels.

With Regards,

Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Muscat for 1 month alongwith my spouse, when my company relocated us to Muscat.

The hotel is generally tired and the furniture and carpets in the rooms were a little worn out. When we checked in, the room had a strange smell, probably from the carpet. The bathroom was tiny and looked refurbished, we had problems with the drainage although the hotel quickly fixed it.

The check-in process was disappointing. Despite checking in several hours later than the scheduled arrival time, our room was still not ready and we were asked to wait 30 minutes in the lobby - not exactly what I wanted to do after a long drive from Dubai. The check-in person (a guy in Omani costume) said that he could not find the LPO from my company so I will have to leave an enormous sum of money as security deposit if I wanted to check-in. This left me with little money to spend till the issue was sorted out.

Two days later, I discovered that the company had already sent them the LPO before I checked in, they had just misplaced it. When they finally received the second copy of the LPO, and I asked to return my deposit, they asked me to come back later TWICE, and finally I got only a part of the money that I deposited - I got the rest after a month, when I checked out. The staff didn't seem polite, given the fact it was they who messed up. This was the most disappointing part of my stay.

Despite the disappointing check-in experience and the worn out room, the hotel is OK. The lobby and the restaurants are good. The breakfast was perfect. The business center staff were very friendly, unlike the front desk.

The location of the hotel is great for tourists, but not so for the business traveler since it is far away from anything. There are no shops or restaurants nearby so if you do not have a car, you have to depend on the hotel restaurants - which are expensive. The location might be good for tourists because it's close to the beach.

There is no free wi-fi, unlike most hotels in Dubai. This is definitely not the ideal hotel for business visitors.

The best parts of my stay here are:
1. When they offered us a free meal of our choice served in our room, (and also a free massage which we didnt take).
2. The hotel manager invited us (and all guests) to a cocktail reception of some sort. We didnt go because we had other engagements that evening.

I guess the complementary meal helped reduce the disappointment of the check-in experience. Overall, I would say it's an "OK" hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Dear ShijazDoha,

thank you for taking the time in reviewing your stay at the Crowne Plaza Muscat.

Your comments have been reviewed by the management team and i can only apologize for the inconvenience caused to you on check in and your disappointment with the room.

Since your stay in March 2009 we have worked on improving both our room features and service standards. You will also be happy to hear that we are now offering 30 minutes free WiFi access in each room.

As a resident of Muscat, i hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and would like the opportunity to discuss your valuable feedback in person.

With kind regards,