“Solid Hotel in Muscat” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 27 Muscat B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Solid Hotel in Muscat”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Classic & traditional hotel found as a gem to most travelers. Hotel is solid everything you could need from a hotel is offered by the Holiday Inn in Muscat. Everything is average and thats the price point you pay for. Good bed, good bath & helpful staff. Price usually stays around $100USD, and thats good for what they offer, you can always spend $300+ and goto the Shangri-la or Hyatt -but the Holiday Inn is perfect for travelers or businesses on a budget who are looking for the basics to get through their day.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GRODept, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday, responded to this review, 31 March 2013
Dear TattooedPassport,

Thank you for sharing your views with us. Hotel Al Madinah Holiday is now under the management of Holiday Hotels and Resorts group, and our goal to continually provide the best guest experience possible still remains. We hope of having the pleasure of serving you again.

Guest Relations Department

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

I went to Oman for some official work. I stayed in this hotel for 7 days. They welcomed us well. It is a four star hotel. Frankly speaking there are no nice views from the hotel. But if you're lucky to get a top floor room at the front side of the hotel, you can get a quite a good view of the city. It is particularly nice in the evenings after the city is lit up. The food was ok and the Western food that they provided was also quite enjoyable. There is a bottle of red wine in the room usually. As far as I know, all the rooms in this hotel are no smoking rooms. There are a couple of Asians working in this hotel as well. The staff was very friendly and they were willing to prepare Sri Lankan food for me :) As I was on a quite busy schedule, I did not have the time to enjoy the other amenities of this hotel. The lobby area is quite nice and I've captured a couple of pictures as well. If you're looking for scenic beauty, this might not be the best place to be. However, if you want to stay in the city and if you're on a tight schedule, this is definitely the place to be in.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GRODept, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear Mrsdanushkajayatunge,

We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are waiting for your next visit and stay at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday.

Thank you for choosing Hotel Al Madinah Holiday and contributing with sharing your experience with other travelers.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

Spent a night here in November.

Pros:
- Decent location
- Decent service from staff
- Average food

Cons:
- Worn out Hotel
- No hot water
- Water tap does not work properly
- Uncomfortable bed and linen
- There is a weird smell to the place
- Dodgy bar with side entrance in the basement

All in all I would not return to this hotel and I also would not recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nibal K
GRODept, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Al Madinah Holiday, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear MrTambourine,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We do really appreciate our guests raising our attention to services for better experiences. This has been escalated to the executive committee and we ensure you that it shall be tackled in a proper manner.

Thank you and hope to see you again in the near future.

Guest Relations Department

Travellers are raving about these Muscat hotels

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed in Al Madinah Holiday for more than a month, combining business and pleasure. It is a very clean and relatively quiet hotel with pleasant and friendly staff, large swimming pool and a well-equipped gym and sauna. Apart from the breakfast, which offers a great variety of dishes for everyone to choose from, the restaurant prepares freshly cooked lunch and dinner buffets. Indian meals prevail, followed by Arabic meat dishes (lamb, mutton...) but there is always at least one different option for those who are either vegetarians or prefer something 'less spicy and more European' (pasta, mashed potatoes, etc...) The food is delicious and if you are staying in the hotel for a bit longer, you should better be careful or you put on :) There is a very reliable and fast Internet connection in the hotel. You can get an Internet card from the reception and use it on your laptop or go to a small computer room near the reception, which also has a printer. In your room, there is large TV with a lot of channels to watch, a kettle and a hair dryer. Housekeeping works perfectly. If you do not want your room to be cleaned every single day, tell them. If you want them to clean your room at a certain hour or you want them to provide more tissues or soap, tell them. Communicate and things get done according to your wish at Al Madinah Holiday. The location of the hotel is poor as it is in the middle of an industrial Ghala area, surrounded by heavy trucks and machinery. It is a fact. You need a hired car or a taxi to get to places. A trip to e.g. Royal Opera House from the hotel is about 5 RO, to the Muttrah Souq about 10 RO. There are no shops or cafes in the walking distance. If you want to eat out, you have to go by car. BUT, the inconvenient location is reflected in the better price you pay. So, if you want to be somewhere close to the sea or shops, you will have to prepare yourself to pay double or more. It's a matter of choice. My overall impression of the hotel was very good and I would like to thank Mr. Weymes and his staff (Mary, Joan, Alsanair, Fahad, Moubarak and all others) for making my stay as pleasant as it was. Thank you! Best wishes, Andrea.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Andria,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the very near future.

edinburgh,uk,scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I was having my holiday in this hotel for four nights on 5th December onwards and was having an awesome experience in my life. This is my second visit to Oman as well as this hotel and I have that fulfilled feeling every time when I think about my stay. It has been so convenient and fast arranging my visit visas and I would like to give my special thanks to the hotel manager Mr Weymes.
All his staff was very friendly and helpful and the location is close to the Air Port as well. They have got a huge pool area and a tennis court also the breakfast has a collection of varieties of food which i have really enjoyed. Cleanliness was absolutely satisfied and the rooms are equipped with all the amenities what we really need.
i would recommend this hotel for everybody and it's a full of great team who enriched with hospitality,
i am looking forward visit Oman and stay in this hotel sooner!!!!!
Nadeeja

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Nadeeja,

Many thanks for you kind review; we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you at Hotel AL Madinah Holiday in the very near future.

Chennai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

We stayed 2 nights. The check in was pleasant. The room is small and poorly laid out difficult to move around in. But the bathroom is luxurious with a full length tub in which I soaked away my travel weariness. They provided a large bottle of water complimentary on the first day but even after we repeatedly asked for it they did not provide it on the second or third day. When I went down to the pool for which you have to climb down two flights of stairs from the first floor, I was told it was closed. No explanations given. The gym, which guests can use free, is well equipped. Breakfast buffet is sumptuous with two Indian breakfast dishes. Staff in the coffee shop are rude and unhelpful. The bed was large but the spring mattress was saggy and not quite comfortable leaving me with aches and pains (which did not occur during my subsequent three lights at Dubai). Location is not for tourists and is in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Docgautham,

Thank you for sharing your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have faced during your stay with us. We have raised this to our executive committee for the proper actions to be taken care of. Hotel AL Madinah Holiday is a more of a business than a leisure hotel as it’s located in the industrial part (Ghala).
We are really hoping to see you in the very near future for a better fulfilling experience

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

I too when booking via "Travel Bag" thought I was booking the Holiday Inn, and as I've worked in Oman numerous time over the last 15 years, I thought it was another HI..... wrong! It would seem that some one somewhere has got it wrong, this is NO Holiday Inn.
BUT.. and there is always a "BUT".... I am so happy it's NOT the Holiday Inn.
OK, this hotel is not in a tourist area, in fact it's in the middle of a industrial area, for me not a problem. I'm here this week for business.
If you want a tourist type hotel, then keep looking, this would not be for you, unless you don't mind a quiet, well kept, clean hotel with good food and great service.
I have stayed int he Muscat Holiday Inn, and various other 4 & 5 Star hotels... busy, noisy, way to many kids and families, staff busy beyond belief at times.... the result of all that is a less than perfect service.
This hotel.... yes it is busy.. but its well hidden, not on purpose, it is a business hotel, so most folk are up early have breakfast and out to work or they have only stayed for one or two nights.
I am surprised how quiet it is even in the middle of the day. A welcome relief for the busy tussle of Muscat city.
Room service.... for me a good sign is that housekeeping know your name, on my floor, my guy was slightly upset because I put a "do not disturb" sign on my door and was leaving the hotel for a meeting. He wanted to know if I needed the room cleaning... I told him all I needed was more coffee. I came back after my meeting.. you got it.. room cleaned, bed made, fresh towels.... and the same today.
I have to mention the food... breakfast is very good, but if you are not into into Indian food, there is a lot of it. There is the usual sausage, eggs, and a huge selection of fresh fruit and breads. Remember that Oman is a Muslim country and REAL bacon is not readily available, however you can get it for breakfast if you ask.
Restaurant service is good the staff are excellent.
Rooms clean and large, well furnished, with a great A/C unit.. (so many hotels have a little inadequate A/C system!)
Is the hotel old.. yes it is, no it is not "Modern" ,but as I said if you want something like the Intercontinental, then go there.
This is a surprising hotel, well run, good beds, good food and great staff.
I suggest that you book for no more than two night via a travel agent and then negotiate your rate to stay longer, you will get a better deal.
Location. 12 km from the airport and if you don't know Oman and hire a car, get a GOOD current map, or you will get lost. I know Oman, got a hire car and a map, and I still get not so much lost but re-routed and spending an extra 15 minutes getting where I want to go because I missed a turning.
I also suggest as internet has to be paid for you buy 24hr, you might consider it expensive but buying 12 hours works out even costlier!
For me this hotel ticks all the right boxes.... and once you have read this, find my other reviews of hotels.. (in particular a certain one in the UK)

Room Tip: I got a room on the third... no tall buildings in Oman.. so don't expect a penthouse room. I was...