“Disappointing”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

This was a two night stay in a first floor sea front room. Warning to anyone in town for business who needs sleep, avoid the first three levels facing the ocean. The first night there was a cocktail party at the outdoor bar below with drinking expats carousing and yelling that went on until 10pm. That was a good night compared with the second night; the bass thumping of the ground floor nightclub started at 9pm and came straight through the floor. By midnight I had had enough and asked to be moved. Yet the bass could be heard throughout the hotel, wherever you were, the thudding was everywhere. Was moved to a 6th floor west facing room that was stiflingly hot and the air con not working. Managed to get the room down to 25 degrees by 3am but the lack of sleep was dreadful. Then I realised I left medication and toiletries in first room; despite going to front desk twice to ask if I could go and collect them, they insisted on doing it themselves then told me the items couldn't be found and 'must have been thrown out'. The service was unhelpful and indifferent. While they moved me to a room it was only after several calls about the noise that it happened. The older layout of the hotel is unhelpful- you cannot have a nightclub underneath guest rooms, it is a recipe for conflict and lack of harmony. Won't be staying again.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Zadgirl
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Zadgirl,
thank you very much for taking your time to give us feedback on tripadvisor.
I am very disappointed to read about your experiences, especially that our staff was not as responsive as you can expect from an InterContinental hotel. I can assure you that we will take your feedback very serious and will use it to develop our staff member.
On the other hand I am very happy, that you modified your opinion on the following comment on tripadvisor.
I really hope you will give us another chance in future to show you that we can do much better.
In case you plan to travel to Muscat please be so kind to contact me directly - oliver.geyer@ihg.com.
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in January for the Muscat Marathon with my family. My wife and daughter's room had an issue with the shower, but this was fixed in short order, and afterwards, they received a follow up call from the front desk. My room was okay until the middle of the night. The Air Conditioning started making loud noises, and I eventually had to shut it off so I could sleep.

The hotel is nice, but dated in the rooms, as mentioned in other reviews. The wifi is just okay, shower pressure is good, gym facilities are nice, outside grounds and facilities are very nice, but parking areas seem insufficient. I didn't try the restaurant, but there is a small shopping mall less than 5 minutes walk where my family and I had dinner.

All in all, not a bad place to stay. Staff was friendly, but a little pricey. We would probably stay there again if we received a discounted rate, as we did for the race. The rooms are priced like a 5 star hotel, but some work needs to be done to get back to the 5 star status.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Mark L,
thank you very much for your honest feedback.
I deeply apologize for the inconveniences you had especially at the start of your stay and I can assure you that this will not happen again.
I hope you will give us another chance to see the improvements, especially since you were satisfied with our staff. Please let me know, if you plan your next trip to Muscat. You can contact me under oliver.geyer@ihg.com.
Salalah, Oman
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We had a very good stay at this hotel. We enjoyed 5 star service, good food and a comfortable room. The pool and surrounds desperately need updating. It's very pokey and old fashioned but that's our only complaint. Thank you, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Cat and Joe L,
thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback with other travelers.
I can assure you that we will take your comment about the pool and its equipment serious. You will see improvements on your next visit to the InterContinental Muscat.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2013

A large hotel conveniently located next to the beach and a shopping arcade. Access to the beach is gated and secure, once on the beach you can swim or go for a long walk. The hotel was built in the 1970's but has been continually updated, it has a modern feel to it, good rooms and if you get a north facing one, a great view out to sea from your balcony.

There are two large swimming pools, large gardens/grounds and a great gym. What i liked most was the proximity to a local shopping centre. I get bored of hotel food but within 5 minutes walk there is a choice of 7-8 comparitively cheap restaurants and numerous coffee shops.

Hotel service was excellent, courteous check in staff and the restaurants in the hotel offered great food but at a high price. $30 USD for breakfast is just too much so make sure you get a B and B rate or eat out.

To conclude, expensive but worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear hotelguru85,
thank you so much for your great and absolute positive feedback. i am very proud to share your comments with the whole team, especially that you mention that the service is excellent.
I really hope to see you soon again !
With kind regards
yorkshire
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one week. This is a well established hotel by Muscat standards and hence its 60s/70s design. The rooms are not large but ok. beds and pillows are good. All rooms have a balcony but not large enough to sit out on. The lobby and public area generally are attractive.
The staff levels and service are great. There is a choice of restaurants the main restaurant is buffet styled and extensive and good value. there is an extensive a la carte, and room service menu is good.
If hiring a car at the airport ( recommended if you want to see the real Oman ) the hotel is not too easy to find. It is on the sea shore before you get into Muscat so that helps ( Pretty well everyone speaks English )
The grounds extend to 35 acres, tennis couts pools etc, plenty of room to find your own space and never crowded. The is largely a business hotel. The grounds run down to the sea.
Dress code here much stricter than UAE No shorts for men or short dresses for women inside or outside the hotel. There is a seperate lift to the pool area so that you avoid the foyer in swim gear. Anything goes in the grounds / pool area apart from total nudity!

Room Tip: Get a room on the Business floors (4 / 6 ) These have access to a business lounge with free food and...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank dunera
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear dunera,
thank you very much for your positive feedback on tripadvisor.
I am very grateful that you mention our extensive outside recreation area, which is one of our biggest assets of the hotel. I really hope we will see you soon again at the InterContinental Muscat.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed here at the end of January 2013, while traveling on business. I checked in late at night and out again after breakfast. I stayed in a club room. The room was a decent size, clean and tidy. The bed was very comfortable, the hotel did however look a bit tired. breakfast in the Club lounge was good. The staff were very attentive. No complaints - would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Terry G,
thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.
I hope you will have more time on your next visit to enjoy our beautiful gardens and outside areas, which allows you some relaxing time besides a demanding job.
See you soon again !
USA
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our three night stay at this hotel and recommend it to others. However, we were disappointed in some aspects of the hotel. We decided to splurge on this trip and stay in a suite. We regret that decision because we do not feel that the suites at this hotel are worth the cost. We booked an executive suite at the rate of almost $600 US plus 17%tax per night. I spent a lot of time researching the hotels in Muscat and the cost of this hotel was comparable to other similar hotels in the area. The room we were initially brought to was disappointing in that it was very outdated and had a drab view of the parking lot. We had naively expected a sea view or somewhat luxurious room for the high cost of the room. I do have to mention that the room was HUGE and included a kitchen, so that aspect was nice. We called the hotel manager and explained our disappointment and he moved us to a suite with a sea view, so we were very thankful that he accommodated us. Since we are ambassador members, we were also given club access which includes breakfast, so that was a nice perk. The room we were moved to was very spacious and had a beautiful view, however, it was quite dated and in need of some repair (water stains, some chipping paint), but was relatively clean and very comfortable. We were very surprised that wireless Internet was not available in the rooms (it was free in the lobby, but our devices could not pick up a signal from our room). We were also surprised that the TV did not have pay movies, because that is almost standard in luxury hotels worldwide these days.

Why we liked this hotel:

Excellent guest service - every employee we interacted with was courteous and helpful
Sea view is lovely
Nice grounds - very sweet little playground for kids, several pools, etc.
Clean, open atrium lobby
Close proximity to quite a few casual restaurants (cafes, pizza, sandwiches, burgers, creeps, etc), so we could avoid eating at the ultra-expensive hotel restaurants.
Close proximity to very long walkable public beach
Nice (albeit expensive) breakfast

Things this hotel could improve/considerations for others:

Update room decor, repaint rooms! Change draperies (ours were very dusty!).
Update/improve kitchenette in suites (it was virtually useless for preparing food, but nice to have a fridge and microwave)
Fix balcony doors so they are not so difficult to open and close
Modernize IT - Provide in-room wireless Internet (shouldn't this be standard now?) and pay movies.
The view from non sea-view rooms on low floors is not so nice
Beach is public and not on hotel property, though it looks like it is on the pictures. Oman is a Muslim country, so sunbathing in bikinis on a public beach would be inappropriate.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear 28watts,
thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences on tripadvisor.
I can assure you that we take your comments really serious, especially your feedback about our suites. I have also good news, regarding the wireless internet. We are actually just about to finalize this project to have 100% free of charge Wifi connection throughout the whole hotel.
On the other hand I am very happy to read, that you had also good experiences in our hotel, especially that you mention the interaction with our employees was always courteous and helpful.
I really hope we will get another chance and we will be able to show you some changes after your last visit.