“Great Location”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed at the hotel for two nights in March. Large rooms with balconies and view of mountains. The room had a Coffee maker and free wifi. There are some shops in the hotel to buy souvenirs too. Breakfast was a very good spread.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear Barry Delhi,

thank you so much for your positive feedback.

I really hope you will come back soon and than enjoy even a better view over the beautiful Gulf of Oman.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

This hotel is a bit run down. The rooms are quite small. Woodwork (cabinets, moulding, etc) in the rooms is residential and has probably 10 coats of paint. Or maybe one or two exceptionally thick coats. At any rate, the result was not appealing.

Greet staff were friendly and helpful.

The pub was ... a pub. Nice cold beer, mediocre food.

Trader Vic's on site had great food, bad service, and was quite pricey.

On two separate visits, my room would not cool below 26C (about 80 F). When I confronted staff about this, they just smiled and did the head wag thing. Embarrassment, I think. But no solution was forthcoming.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear LeeandStephen,

thank you very much for your feedback. Feedback like yours helps us to improve our service and I can assure you that your comments are shared with the team. Especially problem resolution is very important and I deeply apologize that we failed in this area.

Our hotel is certainly not new. We are currently working on how to improve the guest room appearance, but on the other hand we have unique and wonderful areas like our gardens and recreation area.

Trader Vic's is definitely one of the best restaurants in town and I can assure you that the service you experienced is not the usual standard you can find there everyday. I really hope you will give us another chance to show you that we can do much better.

With kind regards

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed for one night on a recent business trip. The Hotel is old and from the exterior looks like an old inner city apartment block.

Check in was slow, I did not go straight to my room as I had a meeting, when I finally got to my room I found that my bag had been sent to another guests room, I had to go looking for the guy who sent it to the wrong location as the receptionist had no idea what I was talking about on the telephone.

The bar is old and grotty, smoky with poor service.

I had a non-smoking room which was at best was below average, the room clearly smelt of stale tobacco and not at all pleasant to sleep in. I did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food, the only highlight of the stay was being woken up by two parrots on the balcony.

Must be honest the park inn is a much better venue and I will be going back there on my next trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Andrew E,

thank you very much much for your honest and candid feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies and I can assure you that your issues got addressed and helps us to get better.

I would appreciate, if you could give us another chance to show you that we can do much better and that this was not an indication of our usual service you can expect. Please contact me through my e-mail address oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Very business oriented hotel (though we were there on couples getaway) with great, friendly service. The room was comfortable (in Intercontinental Club room, overlooking a very large parking lot, but great view of mountains and opera house) but could use some updating. There was a great stretch of beach to walk along and a few shops/restaurants close by. The pool was a little disappointing as the water was filthy. However, cannot stress the professionalism and kindness of the staff throughout the stay. Everyone from concierge to cleaning crew was very helpful and friendly, making us feel very welcome.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear juanita_sugarbomb,

thank you very much for your comments on tripadvisor.

It is a great pleasure to read your positive feedback about our staff, which makes me very proud and happy to share with them.
In the first weeks of May Oman had some challenging weeks regarding the weather, which could have caused your impression about the pool water, but I can assure you that we have a very strict regime, when it comes to control the quality of the water, which was at no time an issue.

I hope we will have the chance to see you again soon to show you that this was an exceptional situation out of our hands.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental in Muscat for one night on business in May 2013. Let me start by saying that as one of the older "5 Stars" in MCT, the Intercontinental has maintained a wonderful charm and character that I much prefer over the plastic "glitz" and "glam" of the cheesy "5 Stars" which have become the norm in the GCC. In addition, the hotel's charm and warmth is well complimented by the genuine welcoming and helpful attitude of the staff. That being said, the room I was given (obviously I can only review the room I had) was in desperate need of renovation. Most glaring was the bathroom, where the sink was totally clogged, the shower tiles show years and years of mildew/mold build-up, the faucet was loose and several tiles were badly cracked. There was a two-seat couch in the room, which is something I generally appreciate, but it was so old, and the fabric so worn, I couldn't help but think the thing really has no place in a decent hotel room anymore.

On the positive side, the bed and linens were great, breakfast decent if not spectacular, and the free wifi throughout the hotel is fast and reliable. The hotel is well located, within walking distance if plenty of cafes, restaurants and the public beach.

To sum up, I must say that charm and character can only carry this property so far, and they would be well served by some basic renovations and upgrades to the rooms.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cbellman1830

Dear cbellman1830,

thank you very much for taking your time to share your experiences on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you had in your room. I can assure you this is not the common standard of our hotel. I can assure you that this gets immediately fixed.

On the other hand I am thankful that you mention also positive aspects of our hotel, especially our people. Your feedback will be shared and helps us to motivate our employees to get better every day.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

On a recent trip business to the Middle East, I spent 5 nights in the Intercontinental in Manama Bahrain, and that stay was excellent. I was told that staying at their sister hotel in Muscat would also be as good, as I was going there for business.

The price was a lot higher, but I managed to convince my work colleague that we should stay there. We booked. It was a mistake.

Here is a list of issues:

My initial room was next to a generator even though I asked specifically to put me anywhere that is quiet
When they changed my room at 1am, I was woken up the next day by a truck unloading right outside my window
The general state of the rooms was old and worn, but that’s not the issue, the issue was the mouldy sealant and bathroom tiles that frankly are a hygienic risk
There was also human hair in my bed. Long hair. And I have very short hair.
But the worst part was when I was checking out. I had to tell three people my issues, then be made to wait for the manager to come, who at first ignored me when he did eventually emerge, and then when I said I simply wanted to pay and leave, felt bad and came to me.

He told me there was nothing he could do, apologized and offered me an upgrade. I said I didn’t want to stay. He never once offered a refund, even though the proof I have of the shocking service was there.

Anyway, I left without so much as a receipt as I was told I didn’t need one. I will never be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kae E
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Kae E,

thank you very much for your candid feedback on tripadvisor.

I am very disappointed to read about your experience you made on your recent stay in March. I can assure you that the issues got addressed. We did in the recent months a big step forward to improve our product and most important we invested in training for our employees to improve their problem resolution capabilities, where we clearly failed in your case, to make sure a similar issue will not arise again like yours.

I would appreciate, if you could give me the chance to talk to you directly. Please contact me under my e-mail oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I really enjoyed staying at Intercontinental Muscat.
From fast check-in to fast check-out the experience was really successful.
The room was overseeing the Indian Ocean / Oman sea. All rooms are surrounding the main lobby but once door is closed it proved sound-proof.
The IC hotel has a direct access to the beautiful beach.
The green gardens provide a relaxing atmosphere, the lap pool is probably one of the main hotel asset while the separate leisure pool enable families to have fun without disturbing the swimmers. The kids' playground is located far from guests willing to enjoy a quiet nap under palm trees.
Compared to other hotels in the neighbourhood, the breakfast buffet is rather modest but of fair quality.
We enjoyed our lunch at the pub (BLT with true bacon and a pint of excellent beverage).
The hotel is hosting a PADI diving club (full gear rental is possible, departure 7.30am and return 3.30pm with light meal on board).
Outside the hotel compound an independent shopping area with nice and cheap restaurants is located just 3 minutes walk from the hotel lobby.

Room Tip: Request Ocean View or Mountain View