“Old Hotel Bad Service”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is quite outdated, the building from outside looks like is due for renovation. The gym has outdated equipment.
I called restaurant reservation to make a reservation in one of their restaurant, was on hold for 3mins listening to "we're the best hotel chain in the world", then a woman answered and said "oh, sorry this is hotel reservation, let me put you through restaurant reservation" then 2 mins later the phone just disconnects.
Only good thing about this hotel is the lap pool.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear aramic86,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unacceptable issues you experienced. This definitely does not represent our values and high standard we are striving for. One of our key promise is to create hotels guests love. We clearly failed in your case.

Regarding In the gym we just received new spinning bikes and upgraded our cardio equipment. This process will continue in the future.

The hotel is a landmark within the community, but it looks in todays time misplaced in the very lively area we are in. Just imagine that the InterContinental was the first building along the whole beach and should display the long tradition of Portuguese forts in the country. This might explain it.

I sincerely hope that will still give us another chance in the future to show you that we can do better.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had two interconnecting rooms for our large family. We stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is in a great location. We had a hire car and parking was available and it was easy to explore the city from this location. Rooms were very comfortable, particularly the beds. Bathroom decor a little dated but no issue. Pools are fantastic and ideal to relax at with great lounges and plenty of umbrellas. The breakfast buffet was fantastic. A huge variety of options for every taste. The staff were increibly friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much bother and they were great with our children. I would not hesitate to return to this hotel if I am lucky enough to get back to Oman.

Room Tip: We stayed on the car park side. No issues but a seaside or poolside room would have a better view...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Liesl W,

thank you so much for your great review.

Especially that you mention our staff so positive makes me proud to work with them and I can assure you that I will share your comments with the team.

With our great kids facilities we surely try to deliver a great experience to our youngest guests, but also to help their parents to enjoy this wonderful country.

I surely hope that you will have soon the opportunity to return.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed there for a couple of days with family. Hotel decor little bit outdated , Very green hotel indeed pools are fantastic, easy acess to the beach, city and othr attraction. Excellent customer service. Only downside our rooom faced the parking lot with a lot of noise from the building site. I had asked to be upgraded to rather the Sea view side on check in and was told was upgraded however daa when I got to my room it was not sea facing. Couldnt go back to reception as we were travelling with our son and lots of luggage. Unfortunately it was very noisy as the room was facing the building site. Definitely will recommend sea facing room.Very convenient hotel and will go back with family soon

Room Tip: Sea facing view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear lovelybeach,

thank you very much for your positive feedback.

Please apologize for the noise you have experienced from our neighbors. Actually the Royal Opera House, which is just across the street, is building an additional attraction a theater, which will further enhance the cultural experience in Oman.

I sincerely hope to see you again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me directly in advance. my e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here with the family a couple of weeks ago for two nights as IHG gold members, had an unimpressive room on the first floor overlooking the drive, understandably the hotel is old but they can do much better with the frayed towels and rusting bathroom. Had to wait for our rooms on check in and had a long wait at check out due to problems with the rate in their reservation system. Never had any of our requests met at the breakfast buffet. Overall does not meet the basic IHG standard. Very pricey and disappointing stay.
Left to stay at another resort which was a bit further out of the city but had a fantastic stay and is well worth the short drive into town if necessary,

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Yselle X,

thank you for your comments on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we were not able to meet your expectations at all. I can assure you that your feedback is shared and taken serious to improve for the future.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance in future and therefore I would like to offer you to contact me directly. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here for a two night stopover in Muscat. The hotel is a convenient 15/20 min from airport, ideal if you arrive in middle of the night.
The hotel offers all you would need and expect from a 5 star, service was very good. The breakfast was one of best we have enjoyed, the selection of fresh fruit very extensive and offering anything else you could wish for.
The pools are nice and the beach club is good, making it a relaxing stay.
The hotel is a bit dated and could do with some freshing up, which would add to the luxury experience, yet it didnt bother us. We experienced both the Tomato restaurant and Trader Vic's which we enjoyed and food is good. Trader vics ambiance is great for dinner or cocktails in the evening overlooking the leisure pool.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lizdiscovers

Dear lizzie63,

thank you so much for your positive review.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed some relaxing time in our extensive gardens and pools.This is certainly one of our best attributes, especially being so centrally located.

I sincerely hope to see you again on your next stop-over.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have just left this hotel after three night stay, overall we had a nice time, but I'm not particularly impressed with this hotel.

Firstly, the rooms are very dated and don't feel or look like we expected them too for the price that we paid. The bathroom smelt like mould, which we discovered was from the shower curtain. The shower had terrible drainage, by the time my shower was finished, I was standing in shin deep water! Pretty disgusting really.

The restaurants and food at the hotel are seriously over priced. We spent a day at the shangrila and paid less for lunch there.

Room service was a disaster. We ordered the osso bucco, which was as tough as a boot and completely not edible. Next we asked for a shepherds pie instead, which was delivered stone cold. After we complained a second time, they brought back the very same shepherds pie about ten minutes later, clearly having just microwaved it. This shepherds pie was on par with emirates plane food, we we're disappointed.

The pool looked nothing like the photos either, not what we were expecting. Another thing I found very annoying was how hard it is to order drinks by the pool. There is no one to take your order and you have to go to the nearby restaurant yourself to find someone to serve you. Little things like having to ask for plates and cutlery at this restaurant also wasn't great.

On the positive, our bed was really comfy, and we had some nice pizzas at the tomato restaurant.

I don't think we will return to this hotel, purely because I do not feel it is worth what they charge. A basic room was still very expensive for what it was - we had a pretty terrible view out over a car park.

Bit of a shame really, next time we will be trying somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Isla111,

thank you very much for your honest feedback.

You can and should expect more. Our hotel has its age, but it surely does not excuse the flaws you experienced in our service and food quality. I can assure you that this gets addressed seriously. Please accept my deepest apologies. We can do much better and I hope we will get the chance to proof that to you. Therefore II would appreciate, if you could contact me in case you plan your next trip. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights commencing 27th Feb and had a lovely time.

The room itself was a great size but we had paid extra for a sea and pool view and it didnt disappoint.

The hotel has various bars and restaurants and we used most of them. We drank in the English pub which is situated in the main reception area and is very relaxed with very friendly staff. We had a meal in here one evening and it was lovely and reasonably priced. We ate twice in Trader Vics and on the first night it was really busy but the service and the meal were second to none. I had the best steak here that I have ever tasted. The second occasion it was quieter and again the food was outstanding I would definately recommend you eat here. Through the day we ate a couple of times at the Tomato restaurant and again it was lovely and had a really good menu choice, ideal for at the pool.

Overall our stay was lovely and the staff throughout the large hotel were very professional and friendly at all times even for table bed service at the pool. I would go back.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view room, well worth the view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear stuloufife,

thank you very much for your lovely comments on tripadvisor.

Especially that you enjoyed our various restaurants and bars is great to know. I will be more than happy to share this feedback with our food & beverage teams.

But the biggest compliment for us is that you mention that you would come back. Therefore I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.