“Very Nice hotel”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I love the hotel for it is nice location, service and people.The sea view from the hotel is amazing. Near the hotel you can walk in to the stores and restaurants.

I highly recommend to stay on this hotel if you want to enjoy staying near the see and the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Salwa A,

thank you so much for your recommendation on tripadvisor.

Our location is certainly prime and gives everybody the opportunity not to only explore our vast facilities, but also enjoy the restaurants and shops around us.

I am looking forward to see you again in Muscat.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I first stayed in this hotel in 2011 and must admit encountered quite a few issues back in those days, thankfully and only for a Manager of the name of Julie Githua an African woman did she resolve everything for me. During the last few years I have continued to use this hotel for business as I have to travel to Oman every 3-6 months on average. May 2014 and I have just spent 4 days in the hotel, I was somewhat astonished with the vast improvement of all of the staff, very polite, very helpful and what a transformation as they have took feedback from not just myself and other guests but they have reacted very positively, it really makes the biggest difference when staff smile, look happy and say hello, I travel the world every 3 weeks and have stayed in over 65 countries and over 200 hotels, I am constantly in the middle east and was further shocked to see an actual Omani person making my room up, well done as in all other middle eastern countries it is rare to see a national doing this kind of work. Greatest respect for all the staff at all levels. There are 4 names I need to identify for future visitors who may stay here, Julie as mentioned sales and events Manager, Souliman front office Manager, Jela an excellent guest relations and Marie from the executive lounge you are all a shining example and if I had my own hotel I would for sure come poaching you to work for me, no disrespect intended to the hotel but staff like these people are very hard to find and keep hold off. The location of this hotel is ideal with shops and cafe bars just a 2 minute walk away, the grounds of the hotel are some of the best i have seen and the hotel is I am afraid going through some renovation I believe. The Royal Opera house is situated across the road and all my events have gone very well, it is very easy to slander hotels as I have done in many of my reports but I also believe in complimenting hotels when the service gets better and I have just confirmed my next business function for this August.

Room Tip: A sea view is always nice, but I always ask for a quiet area where any outside noise may be at its l...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear saintpj,

thank you so much for your very detailed positive feedback.

Feedback like yours is a fantastic motivator for our people to continue on our path and to strive for becoming better today than yesterday. I am honestly proud to work with people, like Julie, Suhail Marie and Jela, who are assets to our hotel. I can assure you that they will get celebrated for their efforts and commitment on a special occasion, because of your comment.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you also for your patronage and loyalty over the past years.

I am looking forward to see you end of this year again.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Yes, it is not a new property having being built in 1979 but they have managed to update it for the most part. An easy taxi trip from the airport to the hotel brings one in front of this hige block like hotel. The foyer area is certainly impressive. check in was quick and trouble free. there are a number of (rather expensive) gift shops in the lobby but always managed to get some good discounts if you ask. Alternatively there is a new build shopping mall over the road from the hotel where better prices can be found as well as a number of dining options for quick and cheaper meals. Breakfast in the mornings is lavish and ticks all the right boxes. there is a great pool area outside which extends over a large area and despite this area also opened to the general public did not find the place to be too crowded. the beach is right over the road though best not to go alone so at least your towels and stuff will be safe as there is nowhere really to sit and the beach is public. the rooms are not to bad though the bathroom perhaps a little bit dated but not so much so as to detract from the overall stay experience. mini bar etc available in the room, as one would expect. a great little coffee shop with lovely cakes and ice cream on the ground level and the casual restaurant "tomato" outside at the pool area though i found the food there to be pretty much average. The food at the attached Trader Vics however was a revelation and dinned there twice during my stay. all the staff i interacted with were friendly and helpful. i can say that my expectations were met and would certainly consider staying here again on a return trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear SamirAbdallahAli,

thank you very much for your fantastic feedback.

I am very happy to read that you were basically happy will all areas of the hotel. The biggest compliment is that you consider to return.

The combination of facilities around and within the hotel is certainly unique in Muscat and provides for everybodies taste something to explore.

See you hopefully soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for two nights courtesy of one night free on Entertainer vouchers. There was nothing tired about the rooms, they were spacious and had lovely balconies from which to enjoy the sea views. The staff in the coffee shop were very attentive. It happened to be my birthday while we were there and the check-in staff obviously noted it as I found a delicious cake in my room on return from the pool. We thoroughly our time here after a strenuous trip up country. We paid extra to join the Executive Club which provides free sandwiches and soft drinks during the day and a free light buffet and alcoholic drinks ( for 2 hours) in the evening. I noticed that some people even used it for their meals. It was a lovely place to enjoy a cocktail and watch the sun go down before dinner.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear EileenMH,

thank you so much for your fantastic feedback and spending your birthday with us.

I sincerely appreciate your comments. Our Club Lounge is small but offers as you mention, besides great service and amenities, a fantastic view over the Gulf of Oman. I hope you will have the time soon to spend more time in Muscat to further explore this exciting city.

See you soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Next to Al Shatti beach and restaurants. Save money by walking 2 minutes to the beach food establishments and coffee houses. Rooms are basic... a little outdated. Service is above average. Breakfast buffett is included and ok. Club members have access to lounge where they serve free alcoholic beverages and light snacks.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear igeum j,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Especially you you mention that our service is above average makes me proud to work with my teams. The hotel has certainly its age, but our people can make the difference.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in desperate need for a refurb. Very old and tired. Rooms are a good size but again need updating. Facilities are ok and traders Vic restaurant was excellent. However the main restaurant was appalling with rude and incompetent service. Our order was mixed up and had to wait 20 minutes to have the right food with no apology. Staff were terrible quite frankly and wouldn't return to this hotel

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SW44London,

thank you for your comments on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies about the service experience you had in one of our restaurants. This certainly does not represent our usual high standards and I can assure you the your feedback gets shared with the respective team to improve for the future.

We are currently evaluating a renovation for 2014 and I sincerely hope that changes will gain your trust back.
Therefore I hope to see you in future again. Please let me know, if you plan another trip and contact me directly. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

cons - too expensive for what you get. low ceilings. room was outdated and small-ish even for club floor. aircon was noisy. tub was rusty. some of the tvs in gym weren't working.
pros - staff were friendly. club lounge was nice. pool was quiet not too many kids. gym was large.
All the hotels in Muscat are expensive but this one did not offer value for money compated to others.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jaiwana,

thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Please accept my deepest apologies for your experience. Our hotel has its age as being the first international luxury brand in Oman. Still that does not excuse some of the issues you describe and I can assure you that they will be tackled immediately.

On the other hand I am happy that you mention our people positive, since they can make the difference.

In case you plan to travel again to Oman I would appreciate, if you could consider the InterContinental Muscat again to show you that we can do better. Please contact me beforehand. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

I am looking forward to hear from you.