“Nice location, good business hotel”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Nice location, good business hotel”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very friendly staff and assistance with early check in-late checkout. Location was well suited to get around muscat. Rooms as well as bathrooms are dated but everything was clean and neat. would recommend for quick trip in/out of muscat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear MHSME,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Especially your recommendation means a lot for us. I sincerely hope to see you soon again in our beautiful country.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I've been coming here for the past 25 years and I am always delighted to return. I simply wouldn't stay anyplace else. The Intercon is not opulent, and maybe it is a bit dated, but it has a big heart and the service is absolutely fautless. They will do their best to receive you with warmth and dignity.

The location is perfect and actually more scenic than the other 5 star hotels. If there is any reccomendation I could make it would be the restaurant. The service is fine, but the Musandam clearly needs a new chef. The food is not at all tempting and is very expensive for what it is.
i hope the management will take this as a constructive reccomendation..

That aside, I am always glad to be back.

Room Tip: The club rooms are very comfortable and delightful if you have a sea view.
Dear Mkech,

thank you very much for your positive comments on tripadvisor.

Your feedback is very important for us, especially from a loyal costumer you are. I can assure you that we will immediately start working on our food quality in Musandam, especially since our new head chef for this outlet just arrived a few days ago.
Therefore I sincerely believe that you will see positive changes soon.

I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great location. Airy feeling when you enter the lobby. Clean and spacious rooms.Friendly staff.

Need to fix the pigeon menace in the balconies...they sleep there and they are not intimidated if you try and chase them off...and they mess up the place by morning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Zack M,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback on tripadvsor.

I can assure you that we will try our best to manage the pigeon around our building. I hope you had the chance also to see the beautiful parrots and rollers living on our grounds. That is the positive side of having so much lush nature around us.

I hope to see you soon again.

Doha
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The hotel had a nice location which was near the beach and had a lot of restaurants and coffee shops nearby. The hotel itself is a bit old but seems clean and well maintained. Although refurbishment would be very much recommended. There were three different pools, 4 restaurants and 1 bar within the premises.

We stayed in a mountain view room on the third floor. The room was OK but not great. The sliding cabinet covers were in need of repair and the balcony had a lot of bird excrement. Other than that, the room was just fine.

The service was good. Most of the staff we ran into during our stay gave a smile and a polite nod. Special mention goes out to the waitress at the lobby who was very nice and attentive.

The only other thing that was lacking was poolside service.

All things considered, we had a great time here and would definitely recommend this hotel to other people.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear jdm922,

thank you very much for sharing your experiences on tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our different facilities and outlets during your visit.
Actually we are currently evaluating a renovation and therefore feedback is currently essential to have the right focus.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I love the hotel for it is nice location, service and people.The sea view from the hotel is amazing. Near the hotel you can walk in to the stores and restaurants.

I highly recommend to stay on this hotel if you want to enjoy staying near the see and the city.

Dear Salwa A,

thank you so much for your recommendation on tripadvisor.

Our location is certainly prime and gives everybody the opportunity not to only explore our vast facilities, but also enjoy the restaurants and shops around us.

I am looking forward to see you again in Muscat.

Europe
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I first stayed in this hotel in 2011 and must admit encountered quite a few issues back in those days, thankfully and only for a Manager of the name of Julie Githua an African woman did she resolve everything for me. During the last few years I have continued to use this hotel for business as I have to travel to Oman every 3-6 months on average. May 2014 and I have just spent 4 days in the hotel, I was somewhat astonished with the vast improvement of all of the staff, very polite, very helpful and what a transformation as they have took feedback from not just myself and other guests but they have reacted very positively, it really makes the biggest difference when staff smile, look happy and say hello, I travel the world every 3 weeks and have stayed in over 65 countries and over 200 hotels, I am constantly in the middle east and was further shocked to see an actual Omani person making my room up, well done as in all other middle eastern countries it is rare to see a national doing this kind of work. Greatest respect for all the staff at all levels. There are 4 names I need to identify for future visitors who may stay here, Julie as mentioned sales and events Manager, Souliman front office Manager, Jela an excellent guest relations and Marie from the executive lounge you are all a shining example and if I had my own hotel I would for sure come poaching you to work for me, no disrespect intended to the hotel but staff like these people are very hard to find and keep hold off. The location of this hotel is ideal with shops and cafe bars just a 2 minute walk away, the grounds of the hotel are some of the best i have seen and the hotel is I am afraid going through some renovation I believe. The Royal Opera house is situated across the road and all my events have gone very well, it is very easy to slander hotels as I have done in many of my reports but I also believe in complimenting hotels when the service gets better and I have just confirmed my next business function for this August.

Room Tip: A sea view is always nice, but I always ask for a quiet area where any outside noise may be at its l...
Dear saintpj,

thank you so much for your very detailed positive feedback.

Feedback like yours is a fantastic motivator for our people to continue on our path and to strive for becoming better today than yesterday. I am honestly proud to work with people, like Julie, Suhail Marie and Jela, who are assets to our hotel. I can assure you that they will get celebrated for their efforts and commitment on a special occasion, because of your comment.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you also for your patronage and loyalty over the past years.

I am looking forward to see you end of this year again.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Yes, it is not a new property having being built in 1979 but they have managed to update it for the most part. An easy taxi trip from the airport to the hotel brings one in front of this hige block like hotel. The foyer area is certainly impressive. check in was quick and trouble free. there are a number of (rather expensive) gift shops in the lobby but always managed to get some good discounts if you ask. Alternatively there is a new build shopping mall over the road from the hotel where better prices can be found as well as a number of dining options for quick and cheaper meals. Breakfast in the mornings is lavish and ticks all the right boxes. there is a great pool area outside which extends over a large area and despite this area also opened to the general public did not find the place to be too crowded. the beach is right over the road though best not to go alone so at least your towels and stuff will be safe as there is nowhere really to sit and the beach is public. the rooms are not to bad though the bathroom perhaps a little bit dated but not so much so as to detract from the overall stay experience. mini bar etc available in the room, as one would expect. a great little coffee shop with lovely cakes and ice cream on the ground level and the casual restaurant "tomato" outside at the pool area though i found the food there to be pretty much average. The food at the attached Trader Vics however was a revelation and dinned there twice during my stay. all the staff i interacted with were friendly and helpful. i can say that my expectations were met and would certainly consider staying here again on a return trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear SamirAbdallahAli,

thank you very much for your fantastic feedback.

I am very happy to read that you were basically happy will all areas of the hotel. The biggest compliment is that you consider to return.

The combination of facilities around and within the hotel is certainly unique in Muscat and provides for everybodies taste something to explore.

See you hopefully soon.