“Outdated with subpar service”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Santiago, Chile
“Outdated with subpar service”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I spend a long weekend (3 nights) at Intercon Muscate. We were traveling with a group of people and together got 3 rooms.

Pros
Nice pool
Nice beach access
Clean

Cons
Rooms were outdated
Service was lacking

The hotel had nothing to write home about and had we not had the coupon that got us a free night stay, it would've been really over-priced for the outdated room.

In fact, after our stay, I came home and researched the prices. We were charged one night as a full price and the next night we used the coupon. If we had booked it through a discount website, the total would've been cheaper by $3.00. So, kinda felt like we got ripped off either way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear LilysWorld,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

I am disappointed to read that we were not able to deliver up to our brand promise and therefore please accept my apologies.

I would really like to learn more about your service experience to learn from what has happened and to improve for the future. Further I would appreciate to get the opportunity to discuss the quoted rates with you personally.

My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com . I am looking forward to hear from you soon.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 15 June 2014

"Old lady" needs a spruce up, but good management covers up its short comings by good maintenance and excellent guest relations. Even a "small incident" with food immediately gathered senior management attention.

Room Tip: Rooms on two sides have water views and most rooms I noted had a small balcony, which was very welco...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear sagirsultan,

thank you very much for sharing your positive experience with other travelers.

First of all please accept again my apology for the issue you experienced, but on the other hand I am very happy to read that we were able to recover your trust into our hotel.
Things are happening, but it is one of our core value to make sure that we acknowledge issues and take personal ownership to solve it.

I sincerely hope that we will see you soon again.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our sty in the hotel was Excellent, the room was clean & the sea view was amazing. i got some minor comments which i'd already informed the concern person in the hotel about it. for example, the bath room fan was not working.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Numan A,

thank you very much for your excellent review.

I sincerely appreciate and I am thankful that you have shared your comments already during your stay, which enables us to improve the situation immediately.

I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I stay at the Intercontinental on all my rather frequent business trips. Great location , great layout, very nice rooms as well. As a business traveler, I prefer to stay on the Club floors (4th and 5th floors) where the club lounge remains open till 11 or 12 pm! A relaxing place to hang out after a long day. The service provided is top notch by any standard. Marie and Dinesh always seem to find ways to go above and beyond making you feel like you are their special guest! Highly recommended!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Salim S,

thank you so much for your fantastic feedback.

Especially that you mention my colleagues Marie and Dinesh makes me proud to work with them. They are assets to our organisation and will be celebrated on a special occasion because of your comments.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We arrived without our bags which had been delayed from our very short transfer at Doha, the staff were excellent in ensuring our bags were delivered to us at the first opportunity. A special mention to the Concierge on the 26th May who chased the airline and delivered them to us. It is a lovely hotel with expansive grounds and access to the beach direct from the hotel - the leisure pool was closed and it would have been nice to have been informed however because of the other pool this did not cause us a problem. We ate at Trader Vic's and Tomato and had breakfast at Musandam, where the staff were great. I should also mention John the barman at the Tiki Bar who was simply excellent - a really lovely guy who made us feel so welcome. I have stayed at lots of hotels in the Middle East and I think this rates very well, we were there for a holiday to see friends and it provided a great base to do this.

Room Tip: Go for a seaview, it is a lovely part of the Middle East.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Albion732013,

thank you very much for your great review on tripadvisor.

I would like to apologize that you have not been informed about the temporary closing of the leisure pool, which was necessary due to an emergency repair. I am happy to announce that the pool is back and available together with the lap pool.

On the other hand I am proud to hear that we were able to deliver a great experience for you, but especially John. He will be celebrated on a special occasion because of your comment.

I hope you will come soon again to see your friends.

Gold Coast Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Despite some issues with room configuration which were eventually resolved our stay was pleasant.
The well maintained very spacious grounds & pool area was lovely & enjoyed the deep lap pool for a good workout.
The small club lounge was nice, though there appeared to be some indifference with the staff.
Our suite room was spacious & a very nice outlook toward the coastline.
Concierge was helpful & always available cars on hand.
I found the breakfast restaurant well stocked with varied offerings & gracious service at all times.
Josephine was an impressive & smiling staff member who is an asset to IC Muscat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear AussieScott70,

thank you very much for sharing your experiences with other travelers on tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that we were able to sort out the issues you had to begin with and were able to deliver a satisfactory stay.
Josephine is indeed a fantastic team member and I can assure you that I will share your comments with her and the team.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very friendly staff and assistance with early check in-late checkout. Location was well suited to get around muscat. Rooms as well as bathrooms are dated but everything was clean and neat. would recommend for quick trip in/out of muscat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear MHSME,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Especially your recommendation means a lot for us. I sincerely hope to see you soon again in our beautiful country.