“A GREAT STAY ,GREAT HOTEL,GREAT STAFF”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Muscat
Edinburgh
“A GREAT STAY ,GREAT HOTEL,GREAT STAFF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Like many others I read the previous mixed reports on the hotel and having been there for six days I have to say my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

What sells it for me are several points

Location,you are right on the beach where you can walk along the unspoiled beach ,on occasions without meeting a soul.It is a public beach so there are no life guards although the sea is shallow in that area .

Staff, a big winner for this hotel is the staff whether it be reception,concierge,restaurant and room service

We tried the club lounge one day and enjoyed sipping our wine watching the sun going down over the sea..

Decor and design, This hotel has its own individual style with all floors looking out and down into the heart of the hotel with the three lift internal tower being the main feature. The room we had was superb with authentic Omani furniture. I read that reviewers compare it with five star hotels in Dubai .I feel that is wrong .Oman is a different culture and a friendly one.

Things to do, the Royal Opera House is two minutes away on foot and if walking is your thing,you can extend your beach walk for over a mile. We did the Big Bus tour which is good value in that you see the whole of Muscat and get on and off at various locations. You pick the bus up at the Shatti commercial centre.Two minute walk from the hotel.

Would I recommend this hotel. A resounding YES

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndrewMutter
David T, General Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Mr. Mutter,

I am glad you and your wife enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your kind words on the hotel, location and staff members, I will certainly pass on your comments to them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the futire.

Kind regards,

David Todd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

While I do appreciate the kind gesture of the staff there, the hotel is in dire need of attention. Upon checking into my room, it was clear that this would not be a pleasant stay.

The room itself was a big disappointment with frequent power outages and serious leaks in the bathroom which caused flooding every time I showered, not to mention the fact that I was provided with the wrong type of room even though I specified the correct type both at reservation and at check-in. Trying to overlook these issues, I decided to settle down and order some dinner. The telephone needed to be trashed as I could barely hear the room service attendant over the hissing and static. I ordered a steak medium well only to be served something that resembled a worn out tire (with the same texture). And to top it all off, the lifts were not working (which meant that I had to use the stairs to go up to my room with my luggage) and the water was out for a good half an hour.

I would expect this from a $80 hotel with no name, but when I check into the Intercontinental with a $300 a night price tag, I expect at least the minimum to be there. Safe to say this is my last time making this mistake.

Room Tip: Try a room at the Grand Hyatt
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ammarius
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Ammarius,

thank you for your honest and candid feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your overall experience.
We were facing the last 2 days some serious power outages caused by external factors, which should not happen again, but I surely understand your frustration.
On the other hand this does not explain all issues you experiences, which will be seriously addressed and improved for the future.

I would appreciate if you could give me the chance to discuss more details personally and therefore hope you will get in touch with me. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

We can do better and I hope we will get the chance to redeem ourselves.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Very nice trip, staff were very friendly and attentive food was fabulous but due to local law alcohol was only available after lunch. Rooms were excellent and the swimming facilities were perfect. The location is also good for the airport.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Dougie B,

thank you very much for your very kind feedback.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your holiday days with us and that we were able to deliver a great experience with our fantastic facilities and location.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Dubai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

As a business traveller the hotel is very important. there is no faulting the friendliness of the staff but no amount of smiling can cover that nasty musty smell of a Hotel desperately in need of renovation. The layout does not help but the carpets are worn, the ceilings grey and everything is very shabby.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear AMBDubai,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Please accept my apologies that we were not able to live up to your expectations.
The hotel has its age, but nevertheless we are committed to deliver the possible service and maintain the hotel on a high standard. Additionally we are currently evaluating a renovation for the very near future.

We are surely able to be better as you describe, therefore I hope you will give us another chance in the near future. Therefore please contact me directly when you plan to return. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Nice pool area, beach access in kinda funky but is nearby. We really enjoyed the Irish style pub that was there. For the Middle East, where your alcohol options are extremely limited, they had a great selection of beers on tap and in the bottle.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Michael F,

thank you very much for your great feedback.

Especially that you mention that you would stay again in our hotel is a great compliment.
Therefore I hope to see you soon.

with ind regards

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here one night only, the staff is nice and courteous, but the room smelled like no one has been there for years. The tap water in the room was yellow at first. Old place that need revamping soon. I will not be back there unless renovated.
Visit the indoor pub !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear ricky v,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience.

Actually we are just evaluating a renovation, which might even start already end of this year. Since you liked our services I hope this will gain your trust back and I will see you soon again.

Please contact me directly for anything I can do for you in future. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com .

Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I spend a long weekend (3 nights) at Intercon Muscate. We were traveling with a group of people and together got 3 rooms.

Pros
Nice pool
Nice beach access
Clean

Cons
Rooms were outdated
Service was lacking

The hotel had nothing to write home about and had we not had the coupon that got us a free night stay, it would've been really over-priced for the outdated room.

In fact, after our stay, I came home and researched the prices. We were charged one night as a full price and the next night we used the coupon. If we had booked it through a discount website, the total would've been cheaper by $3.00. So, kinda felt like we got ripped off either way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LilysWorld,

thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor.

I am disappointed to read that we were not able to deliver up to our brand promise and therefore please accept my apologies.

I would really like to learn more about your service experience to learn from what has happened and to improve for the future. Further I would appreciate to get the opportunity to discuss the quoted rates with you personally.

My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com . I am looking forward to hear from you soon.