“Good for business and lesiure”

InterContinental Hotel Muscat
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Muscat
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good for business and lesiure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Large open hotel with good facilities and an impressive leisure club. Always very clean and the staff there are first rate. Room with a sea view is a must. Food at the buffet restaurant lets it down with only a fair variety and average quality.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Instructorborovets,

thank you so much for your positive review on tripadvisor.

It is fantastic that you enjoyed the facilities we have to offer. On the other hand I can assure you that we will look into our food offerings and will do our utmost to improve further.
Therefore feedback like yours is important for us.

I am looking forward to hopefully welcome you soon again.

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the InterCon, the old lady, just recently after a couple of month. Although the hotel is old it is worth to stay there. A very nice welcome, immediately assisted with the luggage, very easy and smooth check in, escorted to the room by a very nice Guest Relations member, Shanker and a well appointed and very clean room with a nice view. Alicia and her staff in the lounge are very welcoming and assisting with every request. Breakfast was excellent in the main restaurant and Trader Vics as usual a delight. It feels like coming home after some time. Only negative point, change some sun umbrellas at the pool side. They are looking a bit old and tired. InterCon Muscat, home away from home. Thanks to a great team.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear traveler2479,

thank you so much for your great feedback on tripadvisor.

I can assure you that it is my utmost pleasure to share your comments with my teams, but especially with Shankar and Alicia. Feedback like yours is the greatest motivator for our people to strive to be better today than yesterday.

I can assure you on the other hand that we will look into our umbrellas to improve the current situation.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again at your "Home".

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a 2 days trip to Muscat (15-16 August) with no extensive search on hotels, and we chose to stay at InterContinental for 2 reasons: it has easy (somehow direct road) access to the dive center we booked, and to benefit from the Entertainer vouchers. Front desk was very effective and polite during the reservation process, it was all sorted out quickly even if short notice and with few changes made from our end.
If driving from airport, the hotel is fairly easy to find, as there is a sign on the main road and then is pretty intuitive.
Hotel is old (in the lobby there is a photo dated 1977, showing the hotel in the middle of nowhere) and once in the room doesn’t look like it has ever been touched for renovations. Rooms were clean, furniture a bit old, and bathroom clearly needs major lift up. But I do not complain about the room as we only needed it for sleep and shower, not to spend hours and hours in it. Clearly not a 5* hotel room, maybe a 3*, so do not expect luxury.
We had 2 sea view rooms, and they overlook the sea and the hotel garden with the swimming pools. Garden is nice, we spent lovely afternoons there, cooling off in the river pool.
The services and amenities in the hotel are 5*, staff was very accommodating, polite, friendly. Buffet breakfast was very good, plenty of items to choose from, all fresh and tasty. The bar on ground floor has a nice atmosphere.
Hotel is conveniently located, with quick access to the main roads. I haven’t checked out the beach, but my friend went to have a look and said it was empty.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear oana_15,

thank you very much for your positive review on tripadvisor.

I can assure you that the rooms got renovated since the hotel opening 1977, but I have to agree that it is time to do it again. Therefore we are currently in discussions for a renovation happening soon.

Nevertheless I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and its location. Both combined is unique in Muscat.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.

Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

It is always a pleasure to visit the Intercontinental in Muscat not least because of the excellent friendly nature and good service levels from the staff. On my latest visit this was no different and I would like to give special thanks the Marian and May in the club lounge who did everything they could to ensure I had a pleasant stay. Also Sammy who turns down the rooms each evening is a delight as he is simply the most happy person I have ever met bringing a feel good factor to those who meet him.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul A
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Paul A,

thank you so much for this fantastic feedback.

Especially colleagues like Sammy, who works every day very hard mainly in back of house, does not often has the opportunity to get such a great feedback. This serves as the best motivator to strive for excellence.

Also Mary and Marian are showing their dedication every day and I can not thank them enough for their efforts to make guests like you happy.

All 3 will be celebrated on a special occasion, because of your comments.

I sincerely hope we will have many more of your visits. Thank you for your loyalty.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I currently live in Abu Dhabi and we have stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel twice now these past couple of months for overnight stays. On arrival from the 20-25 min taxi ride from the airport, there was a very friendly gentleman waiting at the front door to take our bags and welcome us.

Check in was efficient and again, friendly and helpful with answers to a couple of questions I had. We were upgraded to a sea view room each time and have not been disappointed either time. The room is spacious and clean with king sized bed, fruit bowl on arrival and balcony that overlooks the manicured gardens and sparkling pool.

We swam at the beach (wear shoes/thongs, the sand is hot!) then cooled off in the large pool. For dinner, we decided to order room service which took no time at all. The young man who delivered it was very polite and obliging. Later on we went downstairs to have coffee at the lobby cafe. Im not sure why some people have said the hotel needs renovating - I believe the hotel is very modern but still keeps a traditional Omani theme with some stunning artworks and comfy furnishings throughout.

We had breakfast downstairs in the dining room and was absolutely spoilt for choice in food and beverages. The staff were attentive without being intrusive while we ate and nothing was too much trouble.

On checking out, the doorman directed us to our taxi and thanked us for choosing the hotel for our stay. If you're looking for a place where you will be guranteed peace and quiet, top service and the chance to take a dip in the sea where it feels you have the whole beach to yourself, then do yourself a favour and spend some time here at the Intercontinental. Thankyou to all the staff who makes our stay so enjoyable and I look forward to our next stay in the near future.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms with balconies overlooking the gardens and pool that lead down to the beach are g...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HATTOBLUE
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear HATTOBLUE,

thank you so much for your fantastic review on tripadvisor.

I am proud to read that we were able to deliver the true Omani hospitality for you. Surely our people are the greatest asset we have. Feedback like yours is the best motivator for my colleagues to strive to become even better tomorrow than today.

I sincerely hope to see you soon again and please contact me if there is anything I can do for you. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@ihg.com.

See you soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

stayed here last year in 13. hotel was quite big and located well. trader vik's was located right by the hotel. splendid cocktail bar. if you dont feel like cocktails they have a great sports bar in the hotel.
avoid the gift shop, its too expensive.
hotel gym and poole was marvelous. thought the beach was okay

would come back again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Basheer S,

Thank you very much for your positive review on tripadvisor.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Especially that you mention that you would come back is a great compliment and I sincerely hope it will happen.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed there for 3 weeks for my business trip.

Pros:
-The hotel staff are very good as well as the service.
-Great facilities such as swimming pool for relaxation and another for exercising
-Many tennis and squash fields

Cons:
-Rooms need renovation
-some pest control is needed as we found lizards twice in the rooms on 1st and 2nd floor

All in all great place to be at but i hope renovation starts soon =)

Room Tip: Sea view is nice, looks at the pools as well.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Oliver G, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Muscat, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear OsamaHasebou,

thank you very much for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.

Generally I am very happy that you had a positive experience with us and especially with our people, who are the biggest asset we have.

I am happy to share with you that we are currently in discussions to do a renovation in the near future, especially for the rooms.

Lizards are quite usual in this surroundings, but we surely take your feedback serious and will evaluate the next steps to improve the situation without harming the beautiful environment..

I sincerely hope to see you soon again.