“Was expecting much more”

The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel
Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Muscat
Milan, Italy
“Was expecting much more”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Had I paid the average rate for The Chedi I would be one angry person - but having paid something close to a third of ongoing rates I am only disappointed.

Nevertheless I cannot give anything above 3 stars to this property and I will be extremely picky with my review because when you pay this money you must expect perfection.

I was so excited to go to the famous Chedi Muscat and I thought it would also be professionally inspiring being myself an architect in the luxury hospitality business.

Wrong was I. The first appalling impression was indeed the first impression: entrance to the hotel.
I think a road like that could only lead to some Bedouin tent not one hotel that is bragged to be 6 stars.

Second impression was the reception. pointlessly confusing which of the two identical desks is reception and which one conciergerie. but the lobby is lovely and grande.

The third impression, another negative one, was the lighting throughout the resort. I arrived around 1am and let me say that whoever thought that would create a nice sense of intimacy was obviously wrong. First you can't enjoy the beauty of the grounds, secondly you risk breaking your neck at every step - especially if venturing down to the beach or around the long pool.

The Serai room was disappointing. Lots of space wasted and poorly studied. Why on earth would anyone want to enter a luxury hotel room through the bathroom??
No space to hang towels, having to enter the shower to run the water which will obviously be cold as soon as you open it, no closed area for clothes, standard art work.

I had a Serai pool/somehow-sea view room except I felt I was in a high security jail between the wooden blinds, the windows that don't open and on top of that another wooden grid on the outside of the window too. What else? Barbwire? High voltage?

Huge negative point: shortage of house keeping personnel resulting in very late service - I had to call them on three occasions, one day even had to call them twice - despite always being out of my room at 9am and hanging the "please make my room" sign. The following days I just hunted the house keeper around.

Complete inconsistency with coffee/tea not being refilled 3 days out of 6 although I was getting tons of soap, bath gel etc

The beach: soft white sand someone said? Lovely beach? Wonder where these people have travelled in their life.
The sand scorches your feet if you try to walk on it (no wonder there was a cheap moldy carpet leading to the water..they couldn't invest a whole 200omr on wood decking??!)

The sea? Why would you even build such a hotel on such a miserably average beach? You can find better looking sea even in the UK.
Oman has some truly stunning sea (go to Qantab beach) but not here.

Are you paying some $700 to enjoy a long pool that doesn't offer any shade or the Serai pool that you can't even see while on the chaise because of the bushes between you and the water?? Uhm ooookay! If that's your thing!

The food: breakfast has undoubtedly great variety and quality. Honestly the restaurant itself looks too much like an Italian designer boutique rather than somewhere you would enjoy great tasting food.

Room service: silly prices, tiny portions, average taste.

Serai pool restaurant: ok this is where I thought I would go to slap the chef, the food&bev manager and perhaps the GM too. It is a 5 star hotel with insane prices for food and not even an endless list. You would figure they know how to cook a seafood risotto?! No, of course not. I could go to Fridays if I wanted overcooked Italian food and at least I would pay 3omr not 20

Now I want to share the positive points - which are clearly very few and they are determining the above zero rating.

The staff is perfectly trained. Polite and attentive: the second day at breakfast I had double espresso and ashtray delivered without even uttering a word and I didn't even seem to recognize the guy who offered them to me.

The gardens: I think they used GPS to position the palm trees, it is impressive. Everything is super neat.

The pools: lovely, clean and comfy beddings all around.

The fountains.

That's pretty much it. The hotel completely lacks charm, uniqueness, research, innovation, design. It's just a grande white concrete block with pretty gardens, fountains and palm trees but with interiors that any Ikea designer could have come up with.

You want your jaw to hit the floor? Go to hotels like Mamounia in Morocco, Indigo Pearl in Thailand, Bulgari in Bali, W in Thailand just to name a few.

I wouldn't suggest it as a destination itself but only as "if you must".
I would suggest Al Bustan Ritz Carlton, it has a better beach, but the building is horrible, decoration antique and too far considering the terrible Omani traffic conditions.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank gmv80
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear gmv80,

Thank you very much for your feedback, this will be of great help in resolving our shortcomings. I am nonetheless disappointed that your stay did not fully meet your expectations.

First and foremost I would like to apologize to you as it seems we have not lived up to your expectations and we have obviously not delivered to our best. The problems you experienced are certainly not the norm.

There is no excuse for not being able to deliver perfect standards. All I can say is that we are in the luxury hotel business and any areas that need refinement are in constant review as we too seek perfection in our delivery and please be assured of our untiring efforts to achieve this.

Whilst I appreciate my apologies and assurances are of little consequence in retrospect I hope they go some way to restoring your confidence in us.

Kind regards,

Christoph K. Girsch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and I have been visiting The Chedi in Muscat many times in recent years. We are still enjoying it very much!

The pluses:
+ Great landscaping - large lawn, plentiful sun lies, privacy
+ Fantastic gym - the largest in Muscat, brand new equipment
+ Tasty food with a broad range of cuisines
+ European clientele - Frenchmen, Germans, Scandinavians, all well-behaved people
+ Good service, esp. for a Middle East hotel

The minuses:
- Rooms are clean, but relatively simple
- The hotel is well overpriced. A former sales manager of the hotel has a LinkedIn profile where she brags that The Chedi Muscat is the most profitable GHM hotel worldwide. You bet!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CalFlyer
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear CalFlyer,

We would like to thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor, regarding your recent stay at The Chedi Muscat!
We always try to do our best to make sure our guests have the best experience while staying with us and we are delighted to read that you appreciated every moment of it.

We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards,

East Midlands
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

We opted to stay at The Chedi in Muscat following our stay at The Chedi in Bali last year as we thought we would get the same outstanding experience, unfortunately this was not the case. The 'superior' rooms are not, in any way, superior. As you enter the room you walk into the open plan bathroom with no real privacy, there was nowhere to hang bath towels, the bedroom area was small, the desk and chair were right next to the bed and the chair didn't fit under the table so you had to move the chair out of the way when you went to bed so you didn't walk into it in the night.
The pool areas were nice but, as mentioned previously, the hotel is under a flight path which is particularly busy mornings and evenings so not was peaceful as we would have liked.
The main restaurant is large and served a wide variety of good quality food to cater for all tastes.
The service was excellent in all areas of the hotel, the only problem we experienced was that at 6am one morning they decided to switch on the mosquito repellent machine which made the most horrendous noise and when I rang reception they asked for it to be switched off immediately.
We also stayed at the Al Bustan Palace on this trip which, although much larger, had higher standard of rooms and no airplane noise.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear seasonedtravellers7,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and sharing your experience with us, which we very much appreciate as it help us improve both our service and our product.

Our goal is to anticipate and exceed our guests' expectations; it is through your constructive feedback that we are able to constantly strive to improve our products and facilities.

We are happy to read that you found our service excellent and will share this with the team.

I do however hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to The Chedi Muscat.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Until then I remain with warm regards from Muscat.

Guernsey
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We booked through Jasmine Holidays UK who we always use and are superb. Our local operator was Zahara Tours who were very good. The hotel is only 15 mins from the airport and even though we arrived at 430am there were staff to meet us, settle us in and show us to our room. Great room, great staff and service, pretty good food, some of it amazing, incredible spa, three fantastic pools, two adult and one for families which is a really good idea. One pool is 100 metres so great for swimming too. Stunning by day and even more stunning by night. The hotel is clean, stylish and very well laid out. We had a great trip to the desert, 1000 nights camp with Zahara Tours and our driver Salah was very good, especially dune bashing and catching the sunset. Superb hotel for a week, virtually faultless, very high standards throughout.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RMHH
Dear RMHH,

We are delighted that you had a great experience at The Chedi during your latest stay in Muscat.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel soon!

With sincere regards,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Me and my husband were around this fine hotel for 2 nights and three days. I had been very specific on receiving a room with sea-view. I was told that the same will only be subject to availability considering the fact that this was sometime around Eid- August, 2013. Nevertheless, I was so thrilled to be informed during our check-in that were getting the sea-view room. It was simply amazing.
The ambiance within the hotel and the decor within rooms give a really good feel of the hotel. It is much like their brand identity. Overall you are sure to be impressed by the location, the pools, the atmosphere.
Me and my hubby love food. We so appreciate cuisines of different countries. And having had many of them it was pretty disappointing to notice that the quality of the food spoke a lot less about the hotel. Breakfast the three days we had was just the same. Not that they don't have variety, but it is definitely limited. We had our dinner on our 6 month anniversary night at the Restaurant. Food was nothing memorable, though we paid $250 for the wine and food. We then decided to make our meals dinings outside the hotel that not only tasted good, but definitely was worth the money.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms! The best rooms of all in Chedi!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear She M,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback. We truly appreciate your comments, both positive and where we need to improve.

We do conduct a competitive analysis with other Deluxe Hotels in the region. Please rest assured that we continuously monitor our food and beverage pricing strategy in order to provide good value for money

Concerning the quality of the Food, we shared your comment already with our Executive Chef and our Director of Food & Beverage and please rest assured that both of them are working on it so that at your next stay you will great Food experience.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have recently stayed in the chedi for a short break of 4 days and loved it.

The hotel decoration is simply beautiful with perfect landscaped gardens and pools.

The rooms are spacious well decorated with only a downside of the rooms view. Almost impossible to have a room with proper view as they either face garden, other rooms or parking lot and very few facing ocean.

The service of the hotel could improve but it was overall quite good.

Breakfast was a la carte and very very good. I also recomment the restaurant for dinner but their best restaurant is the one by the beach, a truly romantic place with a lot of asian influence in the architecture.

Would definitely go back to this hotel

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a proper view as the one we stayed was facing the parking lot. The hotel was...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Grao_Mestre_V,

Thank you for having taken the time to review your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your comments, both positive and where we need to improve. Concerning your comment about improving the Service, we take all comments very serious and started work that at your next stay you will find a big improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Chedi Muscat soon!

With sincere regards,

Busan, South Korea
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I did not stay in the hotel, however I had a fantastic dinner at the long pool cabana, and since there is not a tripadvisor section just for that, I am writing my review here, because I feel like I have to write it!
It was AMAZING!

Wonderful pool, romantic setting, private... I Would suggest it 1000% to couples wanting a special night!
The food was Japanese inspired, I had one of the best sushi of my life!
I would return to this restaurant ANYTIME!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear Debbie1990nau,

Thank you very much for the great review about our Long Pool Cabana at The Chedi Muscat.

It is great to hear that you had a good time, and of course that you liked the setting and our Sushi.

Hopefully we can welcome you next time as our Hotel Guest.

best regards