“Wonderful hotel”

The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel
Ranked #4 of 61 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We spent a couple of days in Dubai and drove ourselves to the Chedi from there. We enjoyed the Chedi and Oman much more than Dubai. If you are self-driving, the hotel is very difficult to find in the dark so make sure you have good maps. Another time we would definitely fly direct to Muscat. I do agree with the comments that the rooms don't quite match up to the amazing grounds and facilities, but that is a quibble in the context of the overall superb experience. We thought the food and service was excellent in both the main and beach restaurant. Reservations are required in both, particularly if you want to eat outside - we did think the interior of the main restaurant was greatly lacking in atmosphere compared with the alfresco options, where the lighting effects after dark have to be seen to be believed.

We would highly recommend spending some time away from the stunning swimming pools and seeing some of what Oman has to offer - it's underdeveloped but petrol is ridiculously cheap and the roads superb (general driving standards a bit less so!). The hotel-organised dolphin and snorkeling trip was terrific - dozens of dolphins doing backflips and we got to snorkel with a turtle. We drove into the mountains, down to Sur via the Wadis, to the Jebel Al Akhdar, to Nizwa and some other wonderful villages. All gorgeous and very friendly, hospitable people throughout.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear lm1967,

_____________________________________________________________________________________We are so glad you had a memorable experience and thank you for taking the time to write this review.

If we may second your sentiments, the architecture of the resort is beautiful and making our guests feel relaxed and comfortable with our service and the different activities we offer is important to us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed this.

Concerning your comment about finding the Hotel, thank you very much and we are already working on it.

We will be only too happy to welcome you upon your return, so please let us know when you do.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed for 8 days and had a lovely holiday here. I have been to the Middle East before so I had expectations and hopes . We had booked a Deluxe Suite and that to was something I was looking forward to enjoying. So when the door was opened to the room I wanted to go “wow”, I went “umm, ok”. It was a pleasant enough room , but just not very impressive and I sort of wanted and had every reason to, from the price and reviews to expect that.
The hotel is well spread out with beautiful and very tranquil gardens. The 3 pools all have their own feel and the 100m pool is and architectural dream and almost a surreal experience to swim in. After sunset gas torches are lit along its length and the result is very serene. So having a meal there in the evening is a delight. The hotel is well kitted out with loungers and umbrellas as well as large day beds on which you can completely relax on. This coupled with very attentive staff which will manoeuvre your lounger in or out of the sun and regular top ups of iced water make chilling out here a very easy option. The beach is private and even in November the sea was very warm, in fact the outside day temperatures were in the late 20’s and there was absolutely no chill in the evenings. I had assumed that November would be a bit out of season but that was not the case and the hotel seemed to have a high occupancy.
Breakfast was an enjoyable experience with a fruit, pastry and hot buffet which can be eaten in side or in the courtyard. The selection was very good and you can see the food being prepared for you. I would though have liked to see the selection of hot food vary during our stay but it remained the same all the time we were there.
The hotel has a number of restaurants and we ate at 3 of them. They are all good but I am afraid to say very , very overpriced. A simple two course meal with a bottle of water will set a couple back about £120. For that you get quite a nice meal. For £120 I want a dining experience to remember and this simply did not fulfil that. The view taken by the management is that the prices reflect those charged by similar hotels in the area is not a justifiable argument. OK charge those prices but deliver to that level.
A number of reviewers have raised the issue of overflying aircraft. To us this really was not a problem and it certainly not something which intrudes.
So in closing, for a totally relaxing ,winter sun experience where all you want to do is chill and read a book, swim and dream then this is a good option, and I would recommend it , but probably not return.

Room Tip: Second floor garden view
1  Thank jaggery2016

Dear Jaggery,

Thank you for having taken the time to review your stay with us at The Chedi Muscat on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your comments, both positive and where we need to improve. We do conduct a We do conduct a competitive analysis with other Deluxe Hotels in the region. Please rest assured that we continuously monitor our food and beverage pricing strategy in order to provide good value for money. analysis with other Deluxe Hotels in the region. Our culinary team prides itself on delivering a memorable Food and Beverage experience at the resort and will be taking your feedback extremely seriously.

We truly hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectation.

Thank you, for your positive statement regarding our staff, pools and grounds.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Chedi is a very beautiful hotel, very well maintained with good food and good service. A couple of things really let it down for us though.

We booked a Serai room which is plenty large enough. It is true that there is not really enough space for clothes but we made do. Unfortunately there is construction work taking place next door to the Serai block so we were woken up at 6:30am - 7am each morning by what sounded like a tipper truck dumping 20 tonnes of rubble. It was then impossible to get back to sleep as the hotel staff were already out cutting the grass on the loudest lawnmower they could find. Lloyd from the front desk was incredibly helpful and moved us to a quieter room in the middle of the resort.

Whilst moving away from the noise, we just found that the sleep quality of the beds were not to our preference. The beds are just to firm for us so we did continue to have broken sleep. As the hotel is right on the flight path next to the airport it then becomes difficult to get back to sleep as aircraft are landing frequently right throughout the night. As the airport is being extended I can only guess that the volume of air traffic will increase. We were fully aware of the hotels location but we naively expected there to be restrictions on landing overnight like there is in the UK. Seems not.

My Husband also woke every morning covered in hives which was most uncomfortable for him. He has an allergy to one particular washing powder so we suspect this was used to launder the bed linen although we have stayed in hundreds of hotels throughout the world and not had this issue before. Lloyd was again very helpful and advised that our linen would be washed in a different detergent but my Husband still suffered. We considered moving hotels but in the end we just tanked him up with anti-histamines and cocooned him in my sarongs overnight. Seemed to do the job but not ideal.

The next incident we had was when we were sitting on the beach by the Chedi pool. It was a very windy day and all of a sudden a gust blew up and the giant umbrella flew into the air and crashed down on top of me. I was only saved from serious injury by the very quick witted gentleman on the lounger next to me who managed to grab the heavy wooden pole so I just got hit with canvas The staff did ask if I was ok but I got no form of an apology, I was just gleefully told that I was lucky as the last woman it landed on broke her leg. We didn't sit there again.

One thing that really annoyed me though was at check out. Our flight was not until late into the evening so we were offered use of the showers at the pool as check out is at 12noon. I was running a bit late with packing but was ready at 11:55 am so I took our change of clothes down to the lockers. I returned to our room at 12:02 and guess what, key no longer working. Reception were very polite and helpful and extended the key just so I could get in a collect our hand luggage but it just felt like the hotel were screaming GET OUT. I was stressed enough with packing and was only running 10minutes late. At this class of hotel an allowance of 30-60 minute would not hurt. Also, your Internet connection is stopped, 12 on the dot. Again reception were very helpful and gave us a temporary code to use in the reception area so we could at least check in for our flights but this policy is a bit off.

Generally the hotel is lovely to look at but too uncomfortable for us. The food is really very good but not worth the Michelin prices. The service is really good and the staff all very polite but the hotel ethos is just not for us. I would rather stay somewhere that values my comfort and relaxation rather than how good it looks.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bubbabearski

Dear Bubbabearski,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback. We truly appreciate your comments, both positive and where we need to improve. I sincerely apologize for the airplane and project noise.

We are sorry to hear that our 158 villa resort did not present an intimate feel to you and apologies for the disappointment you felt annoyed with the Check out experience. Striving for the highest levels of service and facilities sits high on our priority list and on this occasion, we are saddened that we fell short. We do take your comments very seriously and I have personally addressed these issues with my team members for discussion and immediate improvement.

I do however hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to our Resort.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Excellent overall design (buildings, rooms, gardens, pool area).
Enjoyed in particular the 100m lap pool.

Could still improve by investing more in training their restaurant staff (sometimes inattentive, disorganised) - but only a minor niggle.

We had a really good time.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear MisterK928,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

We were pleased to note that we exceeded your expectations at The Chedi Muscat.

However I apologize that our Restaurant Staff was not up to his normal standard. We have discussed and review this matter with the team to make sure this situation never happens again.

We appreciate your taking the time and trouble to share your review on-line, as your feedback is assisting us in monitoring and improving our service levels.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I very rarely bother to write about a stay at a hotel, however I am quite incensed about some of the negative comments on trip advisor. I am presently staying at The Chedi and having travelled the world and stayed in similar up market quality hotels, I have to say that this hotel comes out tops in several facets, mainly the food, which has and is excellent, well thought out restaurants, great and varied food choice and by far the best cup of English tea offered anywhere in the world, the staff are not in your face looking for tips all the time, they are there when you need them, the room is spotlessly clean, well laid out, the overall feel of this hotel and staff is one to be experienced, please do come to this hotel, you will not be let down, I just cannot understand the moronic comments, Kev ( Mr Brightside) Nottingham

Dear LizzieNottingham,

Thank you for your valuable comments and for staying with us at The Chedi Muscat. We are very excited to know that you loved our resort, specially our Food and the English Tea, and most important that you enjoyed our service &hospitality.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is a lovely hotel, a real retreat. At more than £300 pn, it is expensive but architectually, it's one of the most stunning properties we ever stayed in. It's truely beautiful, lots of water features with the white, Moorish style, buildings and vast areas. The only thing missing from the outdoor decor was a bit of colour - lots of palm trees and grassy shrubs but no flowers!! The beach was unremarkable but the pools made up for it. Despite being at almost full capacity (or so we were told at the check-in), the hotel didn't feel crowded, except perhaps at breakfast time, especially if you wanted to sit outside. 3 large pools, well spread and away from each other and 2 of them for adults only ( thank goodness - having left our kids at home, we didn't want someone else's screaming nearby). The service was generally good, with a few minor exceptions. However, the check-in was not exactly smooth. Having turned up a couple of hours before the recommended check-in, we were a bit disappointed to be told to wait as our room was not ready (we were, however, offered complementary coffees/teas, a nice touch, though a cold drink perhaps would have been more appreciated). The reception staff then promptly forgot about us for a couple of hours and it was only after we went back to enquire that they sorted out for someone to take us to our room and to show us around. By then it was well past 3 pm, the normal check-in time..Our other disappointment was with the (European) concierge who, having told us that their private car city tour was booked up for the next two mornings, failed to mention that it was possible to do it with one of the taxi drivers parked outside. We found this out later on from some other guests, but it was too late by then for us to organise anything as we were leaving that day. Also, when asked where to go to get some cash, he recommended an ATM on the main road, a fair walk away, failing to mention that the hotel was happy to give you a cash advance and charge it to your room. Again, we found this out from the fellow guests..Perhaps a bit more training needed here! As others commented, the food at the hotel is rather expensive, especially the fish restaurant, but the snacks by the long pool are more reasonable and very tasty. On a couple of occasions our choice of wine was not available in the main restaurant and we were suggested an alternative which somehow was always a bit more expensive than the original choice! However, these are rather minor negative points. Overall it's a fab place: the Nespresso machine in the room with plenty of capsules was greatly appreciated as were the (complementary) soft drinks in the fridge. The gym and the changing rooms ( where you're allowed to 'hang out' after your check-out if you're on a late flight if, as was the case with us, you are told that you HAVE to check-out promptly at noon!!) is one of the best I've seen. If the prices were not so high, I would happily stay at this hotel whenever in Muscat.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ali98,

I sincerely apologize how our Staff was handling your Tour arrangement and your question concerning the ATM, and of course i certainly agree with you that we could have handled it better.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 14 November 2013

For me this is the best hotel :::: beautiful, calm, no kids, excellent service, nice room, good food. OK you pay for it as it is an expensive hotel and nothing is perfect but once I entered the place, I did not want to come out. The pools are superb and the hotel is very zen. I will definitely go back one day in Muscat or in another country. BUT if you do book a spa package, please do check everything : I was staying with a girlfriend and nearly everything is geared towards couples, we had few problems with the spa reservations as we did not want to share the massages and the bath... the spa staff would not get it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear SVR7,

Many thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience at The Chedi Muscat. We are always delighted to hear from a happy guest- your kind words are much appreciated.

We are sorry to hear that The Spa was not up to its usual standards; we will certainly pass on your comment to our Director of Spa to ensure that it is corrected for the future.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,