“So Disappointing”

The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel
Ranked #4 of 62 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed 30 January 2014

What a huge disappointment. We experienced nothing but problems right from even before we checked in. We changed our flight from Dubai to Muscat which meant that we would be arriving earlier than arranged. So my husband phoned the hotel to advise them of this as we had arranged transport via the hotel only to be told "that they would see what they could do but didn't know if they could change the time"!! Straight away they were uncooperative and we flew not knowing if we were being picked up or not. When we arrived bearing in mind we had travelled overnight had long waits at airports we were not exactly fresh they kept us waiting over an hour to check in as there was a problem with the booking. Instead of showing us to our room and dealing with it later that just kept sending different members of incompetent staff to deal with it! When we finally went to the room it was incredible small, no bath just a shower, no door to the garden as we were on the ground floor it was incredible dark and soulless. Really only one restaurant worth eating in and even then the food was nothing special. One night we asked if the hotel could recommend a nice restaurant we could go and they actually sent us to a cafe with plastic chairs and burgers/kebabs!! When my husband went to try and change some currency they were unable to do this. It was just staggering that a five star hotel was being so badly managed. The hotel is on the most awful stoney beach. We have had friends who have stayed there about 15 years ago who said it was amazing well it certainly isn't now. What I would say is that they do have a lovely spa and the therapists are very good and the gym is also extremely well kitted with an exceptionally good personal trainer. Even the staff in the shop were so incredibly rude and totally uninterested especially the older lady whose name I sadly didn't make a note of. I think there are far better hotels than this to choose from and I would give it a wide berth.

4  Thank Harvieboy
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Ward123_11,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feelings and impressions of your recent experience with us at The Chedi Muscat, I do appreciate your extensive feedback as it help us improve both our service and our product.

First and foremost may I apologize most sincerely for the problems you encountered as you have certainly not experienced us at our best. The shortfalls that you described in various areas are certainly not representative of what our brand "GHM Hotels" is founded upon and I can understand the way you must have felt.

In regards to the service issues I do not have any excuses for the shortcomings as they are our basic standards and should have been easily fulfilled. Rest assured that I have addressed those with our Managers and I trust that we will be able to rectify them, if not immediately, in the very near future.

As a company we strongly focus on training, it is however clear from your comments that we need to focus more specifically on pro-activeness and service oriented approach towards meeting and exceeding guest expectations as well as reviewing our measures we have in place to ensure all our guest are consistently provided with an ultimate experience.

Whilst I appreciate my apologies and assurances are of little consequence in retrospect, I hope they go some way to restore your confidence in us. I would like to thank you once again for your candid feedback as this allows us to improve the service which we provide to our most discerning guests and I wish to apologize again for not meeting your expectations.

Kind regards,

Christoph K. Girsch

Write a ReviewReviews (2,645)

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a night recently for my birthday celebration. The front desk provided us with early check-in and late check-out due to our flight schedule which was very nice. Service throughout the property was very friendly and requests for extra glasses, etc. were promptly taken care off.

We ate at the beach bar (wagyu burgers) and the main restaurant (seafood platter) which also serves daily breakfast. The breakfast layout is huge, high-quality and a mix of buffet and a la carte for selected items. It was a great start to the day. All meals were fantastic and the quality of the food was excellent.

Although the weather was not ideal during our visit, the pools seemed very nice and there is a state of the art gym. The deluxe room was very spacious and came with open bathroom plans.

Overall, highly recommend this hotel which is pretty central and taxis are easily available.

Room Tip: The rooms on the resort are very spread out since this is a low-rise property. I think anything faci...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Like2Travell,

We are delighted that you had a great experience at The Chedi during your latest stay in Muscat.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel soon!

With sincere regards,

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I read a review on here a little while ago (not of this hotel) by someone who had obviously had a string of bad experiences in a hotel. those experiences had escalated and tainted his entire experience. It made me think how easy it is to let one negative experience influence a stay.
I had a couple of glitches on check-in on my recent stay at this hotel, which in hindsight was because we had decided to arrive early. While the situation could have been handled better by both staff/management and even me, it does not detract from what is a beautiful and unique property.
I first stayed at this hotel when it reopened after cyclone Gonu devastated Oman in 2007. At that stage the villas and other suites were not open nor was the standalone spa.
I stayed again this time in a Serail room, which are part of the main hotel complex. The rooms are pretty great and very well designed.
Everything is in its place, from the walk-in wardrobe area to the spacious showers. a free non alcoholic minibar and snacks, a Nespresso machine and lush Aqua De Palma amenities enhance the experience.
The only issue i see if that if you were in a room this size for a week or so, it might be a bit small.
I had a chance to check out the bigger rooms and they were indeed very special, some fitted with huge bathtubs and a separate sitting area.
The only drawback was the spotty internet (the hotel was fairly full so this may explain it).
I booked a spa treatment and because the main spa was full, they did the treatment in the "old" spa in the main building which suited me well. A fantastic treatment, nothing old about the treatment room at all!
We had brunch on the Friday at the main restaurant, it was typical buffet fare but the service was exception and the setting, with a view to the sea, was sublime.
So too was the drinks we had with friends by the long pool (I was told by a fellow diner this was the longest int he Middle East). A chilled out vibe, tasty tapas style food with an Asian bent and decent wines.
Check out was efficient and seamless. I had seen critiques about the staff RE their English skills. This was far from the case in my experience, in fact they were very helpful, knowledgeable and easy to understand.
As I said, there were a couple of glitches in the opening hours of my stay (which were followed up by management and I was checked on to see if all was well), but in all this is a very special property. I can see why it is so popular with European leisure travelers.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and try and get one of the suites if you are staying for more than a few days. it'...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank rachelannmorris

Dear rachelannmorris,

Thank you for having taken the time for sharing your feedback with us. We are distressed to learn that the stay at our hotel did not meet all of your expectations.

Our goal is to anticipate and exceed our guests' expectations; it is through your constructive feedback that we are able to constantly strive to improve our products and facilities. Please rest assured that we took your comments very serious and implemented it already in our Training Program, so that Problems like yours will not happen anymore.

We do hope to have the pleasure in seeing you again at the Chedi Muscat.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

You get out of a normal road in Gubrah going towards the sea side taking the sign that says; The Chedi Muscat , a beige color building is ahead of you but doesn't seem to be very special from a distance, you get out of the car and on the way in you start noticing an amazing contemporary architecture with authentic Omani fusion. Omani Jars , arches , palm trees , dim lights geniusly placed and with perfect intensity all around....you enter the lobby and there you see a huge tent ceiling ..to your right will be one of top Muscat culinary treasures with the richest wine cellar in town and food from Arabia - Asia and Europe . The pastry section is the absolute best in Muscat.

When you go out you will see the garden , a great view of natural green carpet with Palm trees lined up before the bright blue sea.

Two infinity swimming pools on the two wings of the real estate, the right one ends before the beach restaurant that will offer you a sea food meal you will never forget and the left one is right next to a spa that is just part of heaven

on the way to the long pool notice the jars and the lakes with the lanterns floating in them ...you will find your perfect make out spot somewhere in that path.

The right place to fall in love.

The rooms are very well equipmed and the chalets are just perfectly designed with very well matched furniture and you will be happy to see Bose sound systems every where.

The access to everything in Muscat is great so its perfect for business and pleasure.

The only drawback is the airplanes flying above every now and then that spoils this perfect painting of architectural genius , great Omani hospitality , beautiful interiors and gastronomical climax.

Room Tip: Go for a Chaletif you budget allows Try the Lobster in the Beach Restaurant Have a drink by the lo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Chedimuscat, Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear FouadIbrahim,

Thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor.

It's really great to read your positive feedback as it is always a pleasure to hear from a satisfied guest. This goes to everyone in the Team who endeavor to make The Chedi Muscat, very special.

Thank you for sharing and and let's hope we'll welcome you back again in the not-too-distant future.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback online.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 January 2014

A stunningly beautiful hotel off the beaten path of old Muscat. Chedi is known for elegant simplisticity and they got it right here as well. The decor calms the mind and spirit. The food at both restaurants was superb - the beach front restaurant has a very romantic setting. the Chedi knows the power and seduction of water and designed beautiful ponds throughout the property and lovely pools overlooking the warm sea. It is wonderful just to stroll the property, especially at night when the walk ways, ponds and pool are lit up, and the air temperature is a bit cooler. the rooms are well proportioned and beautifully decorated. the staff were incredibly warm and helpful. Unfortunately Chedi is not in walking distance to town and the surrounding area doesnt offer much if you are looking for an interesting walk. You need to order a taxi for any sight-seeing exploration. But the property offers great quiet spots to sit and take in relaxation and beauty.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank olive03-11

Dear olive03-11,

We would like to thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor, regarding your recent stay at The Chedi Muscat!

We always try to do our best to make sure our guests have the best experience while staying with us and we are delighted to read that you appreciated every moment of it.

We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2014

As expats we have the luxury to go for dinner in this beautiful hotel. It has been a while ago, but unfortunately we had a similar experience. The grounds are very dark, almost a bit spooky. The beach restaurant is stunning and romantic. Unfortunately the type of staff doesn't add to this feeling. Their English is rarher poor and They are simply not really friendly or attentive.The Food was great, although the portion of the desert way top much (mille feuille) which makes iT less special.

As always there was a steep Bill. We had a Nice Evening, but the overal experience was certainly not 5 star.

2  Thank Jacqueline798

Dear Jacqueline798,

Thank you, for taking the time to post a review.

On behalf of the management and staff of The Chedi Muscat I would like to apologize that our Beach Restaurant did not meet your expectations.

We do take your comments very seriously and I have personally addressed these issues with my team members for discussion and immediate improvement. We strive for the highest levels of service and facilities and are saddened that on this occasion, we fell short. .

Our culinary team prides itself on delivering a memorable Food and Beverage experience at the resort and will be taking your feedback extremely seriously.

As we value your comments, we would be most grateful if you could give us a little bit of your time and accept to contact me at the following e-mail address : cgirsch@ghmhotels.com

your sincerely,

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We visited the Chedi for one week and had a very relaxing stay. It was easy to get to Muscat.

The staff were fantastic.

Great Food
Great Hotel
Great Gym
Great tennis courts
Great showers
Everything was fantastic

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Taylorchristian,

We are delighted that you had a great experience at The Chedi Muscat during your latest stay in Muscat.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel soon!

With sincere regards,