“Gorgeous hotel, perfect for a chilled out weekend”

The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel
Ranked #4 of 60 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Chedi Hotel is soooo serene. We stayed for three nights and even though we were planning to spend lots of time exploring Muscat, when we arrived there it was so relaxing that we ended up spending most of our days by the pool, chilling out. Just perfect.

The rooms at the Chedi were very well appointed. We stayed in a Club Suite which was a great choice - lots of things included in the room (snacks, minibar, laundry service), access to the Club Lounge which was great (they had a great cheese selection, canapes etc). The suite was not huge but it was very tastefully decorated and well designed.

Absolutely loved the pools and the private beach. The landscaping is really beautiful, everywhere you look is picture perfect. Even though it was almost fully booked when we were there, the grounds are really spread out so it feels very serene, and private. Such a great way to spend a few days relaxing.

By the way, you MUST try the burgers at the restaurant by the pool. OH MY GOD. Amaaaazing!

The food in the restaurants was good but not spectacular. The Beach Restaurant is really stunning, right on the water and with pretty good selection, but nothing to write home about. The other main restaurant is at the same place as breakfast is served (although it is a la carte), but that is normally enough to ruin it for me - a bit of a boring hotel restaurant feel.

This definitely did not detract from how blissful the other elements of our stay were though.

I didn't get to try the spa at the Chedi (probably because the accommodation was so eyewateringly expensive that I couldn't justify the added expense!), so can't comment there.

I would definitely come back to the Chedi for another weekend of pure bliss and luxury, and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nooree
Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Nooree,

On behalf of the entire team at The Chedi Muscat, I would like to thank you for staying with us and it was a pleasure to be of service to you.

We are truly delighted to read that you had an excellent stay and you particularly enjoyed our suite room features, grounds layout & private beach.

We have taken on board your constructive comments regarding your experience of the restaurants generally. Please be assured we will look into the issues you have raised for future improvement as we aim to provide the perfect stay.

We all at The Chedi Muscat look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

For years I have seen pictures of this beautiful resort in magazines and books and in December I finally had the chance to visit, however it did not meet my expectations.
The design of the public areas and restaurants is indeed beautiful, but the rooms were a big dissapointment. I was put up in one of the small rooms in the back with a very dated and standard decoration. Due to an issue I asked to move rooms after the first night, however when I came back at night after a long day out nothing was done and nobody knew about my room move.
Dinner and breakfast were good but pricey. Service was in some areas very good and in some very poor. When you pay almost 600 usd a night you expect it to be better.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Marcusag,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at The Chedi Muscat. It was indeed a great pleasure having you with us and being of service to you.

Thank you kindly for spending the time to give your review of The Chedi Muscat.
I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations regarding the room category and the service on occasion.

Guest feedback such as you have provided, is our most valuable means of monitoring our service and is the only way of achieving and maintaining excellence as it is our goal to provide an exceptional experience each and every time.

In the future the entire team at The Chedi Muscat would like another opportunity to welcome you back to impress you at every turn.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for a reservation or any additional assistance needed.

Again, thank you kindly for your comments, they are invaluable.

Markus Iseli,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have just returned from a weekend at the Chedi and have to say it is a totally stunning hotel. The rooms are well laid out (if a little smaller than we had anticipated but they have everything you could possibly need) and the rain shower is fabulous after a long day in sun. Gardens and pool areas are outstanding; I particularly loved the Long Pool even though I couldn't sit in the sun there for very long - when it got too hot I simply moved to a shaded lounger on the beach!

Food at breakfast was delicous and plefntiful and there was plenty to choose from; cold buffet or hot food cooked to order. This, however, leads to my only complaint. The waiting staff were friendly and polite but service each morning was extremely slow; on my last morning I waited around 45 minutes for breakfast and had to remind one of the waiting staff that I had ordered food.

On the whole I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Chedi and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Morag G,

We are very grateful for you taking the time to give us feedback about your stay at our hotel.

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your experience overall, in particular our grounds and the rain shower in the room.

However, please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of shade at the Long pool and slow service you received at breakfast time. Rest assured we will ensure that this will not reoccur as we constantly strive for perfection at The Chedi Muscat.

We hope you will choose to indulge in another stay with us in the not too distant future as it is our pleasure being of service to you.

Thank you again for your comments, they are invaluable.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

A wonderful 5 star experience. Everything from food to facilities was simply excellent and a special mention should go to their staff who were faultless and an absolute credit to the hotel. We will definitely being going back!

Room Tip: The bed linen was of the highest quality and the complimentary fruit bowl & minibar was an added...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Daviec56,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Chedi Muscat. We are very happy to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us, especially our service.

I will be certain to pass on your commendation to the team who will surely look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to stay with us again in the future.

Warmest regards from sunny Muscat,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The rooms are good the garden, pool and the landscaping is breath taking but the service is the worst we have had in a hotel of this class for years.
We arrived at 11. We had requested an early check in. obviously it wasn’t guaranteed so we were ok to wait. As we travel often we are quite used to this. However since the hotel was not full (as stated by the receptionist) we asked if there was any way they could get us a room earlier especially since I had to do some work. Two hours later we asked them again if the rooms were ready and they said they are still cleaning. After complaining and raising our voices saying that it doesn’t take two hours to clean a room, they handed our keys immediately.
We asked for wifi access and they said there is no way they can provide access to three devices in a room !!
We went out for dinner and when we got back we ordered a drink at the pool bar. The bar tender said last order is at 10:45. We said fine then we would like to order a bottle of wine and we were told we are only allowed one drink for last order !! As we sat down they started clearing all the furniture around us so we gulped our one glass and headed back to our room.
Next day we are at the pool. There are a set of sun beds and a few dining tables. We decided to move to the tables for lunch (this is just 2 meters ways from the sun beds) but then we were told that we have to either go back to the sun bed or have our shirts on !! we obliged as we thought that was the rule but then the same day few others were dining with only their swim suit on!!
The AC control in the room would either turn it on or off. So you are freezing or roasting.
Most of the staff can hardly speak English. Keep in mind that we are from the middle east so we are familiar with how things are here. but this was a different level. Most of the staff we had encounters with couldn’t understand us, weren’t responsive and no desire or inclination to keep customers happy.
Even small things such as asking for ketchup or mustard at the dining table became a frustrating experience as it often arrived once the meal had been already digested.
At similar resorts in Dubai we always get warm, enthusiastic and helpful staff who often go out of their way to ensure customer satisfaction.
At some points during the trip, with all the do’s and don’ts, we felt we were at a boarding school rather than a 5 start hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Harandian
Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Harandian,

Thank you kindly for spending the time to give such a detailed review of The Chedi Muscat.
We really appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the issues you had with early check in, access to only two devices on WiFi, inflexible AC settings, poor communication generally and the slow service that you received on occasion.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort caused.
There is certainly no excuse I can offer but ask you for forgiveness. Rest assured that we will take the appropriate measures to address these issues to avoid any recurrences in the future.

Guest feedback such as you have provided, is our most valuable means of monitoring our service and is the only way of achieving and maintaining excellence. Providing a perfect experience for each and every guest is our goal.

It is our sincere hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to The Chedi Muscat in the future.

Again, thank you kindly for your comments, they are invaluable.

Markus Iseli,

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My stay at The Chedi was either wonderful or awful depending if I want to take a glass is half full or half empty approach. Half full was the beautiful grounds, the lazy day by the sea with the perfect weather of sunshine with a breeze. The half empty was getting my reservation wrong and having to pay for a more expensive suite because my 11 year old was not considered a child and either I had to get 2 rooms or a suite. Half full was the wonderful service and great food. Half empty was putting us in a suit next to the Long pool where Thursday night DJ played until late in the night keeping us awake. To be fair they came with ear plugs and the manager apologized the next day with a bottle of champagne.

Stayed: June 2014
Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Ovjk,

I am very grateful for you taking the time to write this review and for choosing to stay at The Chedi Muscat.
I greatly appreciate your constructive comments regarding the issues that occurred during your reservation and the loud DJ Music. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Please rest assured that we will take the appropriate measures to address these issues to prevent any recurrences as our guest's opinions guide us towards our ultimate goal - perfection.

We will endeavour to ensure the cup stays more than half full here at The Chedi Muscat as it is my sincere hope that we can welcome you back to the Chedi Muscat in the near future to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and excellent service we would like to bestow on you.

Thank you again for your comments, they are invaluable.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

A quick survey of the guests and you'll notice that fellow guests are well mannered, discreet and primarily adult. There are some areas which are "family friendly"; however, as a Chedi reservation agent explained, the resort is geared towards allowing people to relax.

The Chedi strikes me as a boutique resort. Service throughout the property (hotel, restaurant, pools, club lounge) is excellent. The design is arabian minimalism without trying too hard. And, meal time is not a rush to a buffet, but a menu with sufficient choice (local, regional and international) and a well curated wine list.

Lastly, re-set your expectations about the beach - not remarkable. However, spend an afternoon by the Long Pool, and you might forget why you wanted an actual beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Travelling Guilder,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for choosing to stay at The Chedi Muscat.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us overall, especially the service, the selection of food and wine as well as our relaxing pool areas.

I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to the team.

It is my sincere hope that we can welcome you back to the Chedi Muscat in the near future for more enjoyment and relaxation.

Warmest regards from sunny Muscat,