“Extremely disappointing service”

Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Dubai
“Extremely disappointing service”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I found the service of this hotel far below expectations, especially when taking into consideration its price level.
There are a few positives, which I am happy to point out as well:
- design is nice and thy makes the fest impression positive. The main restaurant is also having a nice ambiance.
- room size
- amenities provided

Unfortunately, the negatives far outweigh the positives:
- on too many occasions the staff was just plain rude; or at the least I can say very impolite. Some examples: I walked into the restaurant twice. They asked a question about my room and when I answered I got ignored. No mentioning of "welcome" or anything close to that- no the staff just walks away and you will have to guess that you are supposed to follow them to the table. The hostess was too lazy to lift up her feet and just slides her feet over the floor.
- no wifi in restaurant and when my friend came to see me for a chat in the lobby he had to pay OMR 5 for logging in. Seems Chedi has not yet reached 2014 and maybe still lives in 90's.
- many times when I saw a staff walking around I was the one to initiate to do a greeting, but many times I did not even get a reply!
- room cleaning was of bad quality and I found several dirty items from previous guests..one of them too dirty to mention

- the reception and concierge are clueless to what activities one can do in Oman. They did not come much further then "check the souq". There was clearly no interest from their side to provide a great stay. Every question I asked they made me feel as if I am bothering them.

The food is very average and considering the atrocious prices they charges it becomes very unreasonable to dine there. I would be happy to pay for great food, but they charge near Michelin prices for brasserie food.

I must unfortunately say that the Millenium in Muscat provided much better service for 30% of the price.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Rinstory67
Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Rinstory67,
Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review and share your feelings and observations during your stay at The Chedi Muscat. Guest feedback as such you have provided, is our most valuable means of monitoring our service and is the only way of achieving and maintaining excellence as providing a perfect experience for each and every guest is our goal.

I am glad to note that whilst you enjoyed the design, the main restaurant, the room and the amenities we have provided, I sincerely apologize that in some areas we failed to meet your service level requirement from some of our staff in the restaurant and that you were not delighted with your experience at the reception and concierge. I am very sad you did not come forward while on property which I am confident that a mutual beneficial solution could have been found to turn your stay with us a pleasantly memorable one.

Please be assured that these issues concerning your feedback has been already addressed through a refresher course training for our staff on effective guest interaction.

Once again please accept my sincere apology for disappointing you. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to reverse the impression of your last stay and visit us again in the future.

miseli@ghmhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Beirut
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Simply a wonderful experience.
Food, service, and amenities..
A gracious and well trained staff.
The beach service was exceptional, pools and poolside restaurant.
I cannot wait for my next business trip to Muscat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Carla C,

Thank you for sharing your The Chedi Muscat experience and capturing the entirety of the hotel with your descriptions.

I too, and the rest of the team can’t wait to welcome you back as a member of our growing Returning Guest family in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Chedi is absolutely magnificent. We stayed on our honeymoon for 4 nights last week during the Oman summer and Ramadan. Despite being far too hot outside, the hotel and staff were spectacular alike. The rooms, restaurant, pools, gym and gardens are all amazing, and the friendly staff cannot do enough for you in an entirely subtle way. Well worth it. Hire a 4x4 yourself and drive up to the Grand Canyon at Jebel Sharms. Amazing! The Grand Mosque is extraordinary.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sam G,

Thank you very much for your positive and brief review of The Chedi Muscat.

I am glad that you enjoyed our restaurant, stunning pool, gardens and you found our rooms equally amazing.

Our friendly staff will be very proud to be mentioned for their attentive and professional care. It is always good to read when guests have taken full advantage of our facilities as you did during your 4 days stay with us.

Once again Sam G, thank you for sharing your holiday memories with us. I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband surprised me with a mini-moon break to The Chedi. Overall, this hotel is a real beauty and is he perfect spot for total relaxation but there were a few very minor disappointments.

The presentation of the hotel is stunning, chic, asian and simple. The gardens, walk-ways and communal areas are very well maintained. Each pool offers something different and caters to the variety of guests. The room was perfect for the length of time we stayed- absolutely loved the wardrobe/sink area and the rain shower was lovely after a day lazing in the sun. We also had a sea view which is always a bonus!

The pools are beautiful and clean- cold towels, steady stream of infused water and fruit kebabs are a very nice touch. Families and children seemed to use just one of the pools which is nice for couples or adult groups as the other areas are very peaceful.

Our only issue was the food and the lack of choice over our 4 day stay. After we arrived, we headed straight to the beach to enjoy lunch which was beautifully prepared. We then tried to book dinner at the Asian restaurant to which we were told, all restaurants but 'The Restaurant' were closed for the summer. After closer investigation, we did see that this is mentioned on the website but we were disappointed nonetheless!
This left us eating breakfast and dinner at the same restaurant for the duration- the food was absolutely lovely but after a few days the choices and being in the same setting every night became slightly dull. The wine list is extensive and everything presented to us was thoroughly enjoyable, if not a little pricey!
It is important to note that the front desk must have informed the restaurant manager of our disappointment at having limited options for dining and he made a special effort to explain the situation when we arrived for dinner. Having spoken to him, it would appear the other restaurants do have some indoor seating but not a huge amount. I would suggest the management consider keeping some of the restaurants open even if they operate at a lower capacity as for the money you spend at this hotel, variety would not go amiss.

The Spa is a must try. We had swedish and hot stone massages which came with additional complimentary treatments. The room we spent the morning in was truly beautiful and both of our therapists were friendly, able to answer all of our questions and provided a much needed chill-out.

As we live in the Gulf, we would definitely return to The Chedi for some R&R. I can imagine when everything is up and running through the cooler months, this place is faultless.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alissia S,

On behalf of The Chedi Muscat team, I thank you for your fantastic review.

We are delighted you so enjoyed the time with us despite the fact that you were not able to enjoy the Asian Restaurant as you have rightfully mentioned. I am terribly sorry that on this occasion, you were disappointed. Please accept our sincerest apology for not meeting your rightful expectations concerning the variety on offer.

The professional and experienced team at the Spa are very grateful for your recommendations and recognition, they do indeed a terrific job.

Once again Alissia, thank you for sharing your holiday memories with us. It is through feedback such as yours that we are constantly enhancing the The Chedi Muscat experience.

We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I recently traveled to the Chedi in need of a weekend of relaxation. I was very excited as I heard rave reviews about this property.

It is nice, but didn't WOW. Having spent most of my time throughout the region for the last few years, I have a certain expectation of a resort is 5 star. I would rate the property 4. First, the grounds are very sparse. And although the resort was 'full' when I stayed, it felt empty (versus private) with staff just waiting around to assist. I barely saw other guest while there, which was a bit disappointing as I was hoping to interact with Omanis to get their opinion on where to dine, things to see, etc.

The pools are lovely, but no real beach access (lounge chairs set up just before the rocky entrance to water).

The deluxe rooms don't have a balcony which would have been a big bonus.

Overall, the staff was lovely, minus the manager who I found to be a bit ineffective, and helpful.

More dining options at the resort would also have been welcome, but the breakfast was fantastic. Also had an incredible caesar salad with prawns by the pool one afternoon. Can't stop raving about that one salad- perfectly prepared.

Again, overall nothing wrong with the property other than being underwhelmed after all of the hype. It was just OK...which isn't OK for the price tag.

If I am in Muscat again, will try one of the other two big resorts.

Room Tip: Book one of the Chedi Club Suites to get a view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sjemmott83
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I planned to travel for a 4 day getaway and my choice was either Shangri La or The Chedi, I definately made the best decision as a single female travelling alone.
The hotel is ideally situated around 15mins drive from the airport.
Upon arrival I was taken to the lobby and offered juice and a cold towel to freshen up whilst my check in details were confirmed by a lovely lady named Maryam.
After a short wait I was informed that I had been upgraded from Deluxe Room to the Chedi Club Suite...1 word-WOW!
The best way I can describe the "room" would be as a small villa. It had a lovely lounge area with tv and mini bar facilities. Bedroom area had another tv and bose sound docking system. The bathroom was huge with 2 sink areas and dressing areas...a massive tub in the middle and seperate shower.
I also had a lovely terrace with a lounger...a table and chairs...where i enjoyed sitting in the early mornings or late evenings.
On my first day I chose to have a look around the hotel grounds and was blown away by how well maintained the beautiful green grounds were kept.
There is 3 pools but i mainly stayed by the beach pool. Again wonderful service from the waiter who immediately laid out my towel on a bed and offered me water. The pool and beach area were very well maintained.
The restaurant was fantastic with excellent choices although I did find it to be possibly a little overpriced. Especially the starter dishes...although in saying that the portions are very generous!
I have stayed in many 5 star hotels in the gulf and this is the first that has persuaded me to finally write my first review.
1 amazing 5 star hotel with 6 star service and staff...they truly do go out their way to make sure you have a wonderful stay...something that they should be extremely proud of as I feel nowadays the service just isnt as it should be.
A HUGE thank you to The Chedi for making my "girl only getaway" more than I could have dreamed of!!
I cannot wait to return.
Until next time...Best wishes and please keep up the amazingly high standards,
Pamela Feeney.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank PamiS8800
Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Pamela,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and congratulations on your first Tripadvisor review.

From the entire team here at The Chedi Muscat we thank you for choosing to stay with us and really appreciate your comments showing your particular satisfaction of our service, dining options and your room upgrade of course. Maryam will be extremely happy to know your positive comments of her excellent service as well the rest of the hotel colleagues in general.

We are very humbled by your fantastic review and delighted you have been convinced to write your first ever Tripadvisor review and your plan of visiting us again! The Chedi Muscat will continue to maintain the high level of standard and service to delight our guests such as yourself.

I and the rest of the team is thrilled to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Swindon Uk
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Second stay at this gorgeous laid-back hotel. Definitely a grown-up haven. Staff are unfailingly friendly and efficient, rooms are cool and sophisticated, food is fab and the long pool is worth the trip on its own. Will be back- again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Donnysbird,

On behalf of the entire team at The Chedi Muscat, I would like to thank you for yet another fabulous stay with us.
We are sincerely delighted to read that we have again exceeded your expectations and truly thrilled to note of your third visit very soon.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to make a reservation through my e-mail address below.
Kindest regards,