“One of the best hotels”

Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“One of the best hotels”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The Chedi in Muscat is amazing! The pools are the best bit and the resort grounds are very well kept. The resort is right on the beach too so you can get out if you please. The rooms and the restaurant are both decent too. It's pricey but worth it to stay.

Stayed August 2013
machti, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear andyhill79

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your experience at The Chedi Muscat.

We are delighted to read that you particularly enjoyed the well maintained garden and grounds, You might be interested to learn that we have more than 400 date palms on property.

If your travels bring you back this way, please feel free to contact me personally.
Enjoying The Chedi Muscat during the fall is particular attractive.

With warm and sunny regards from Oman,

miseli@ghmhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Chedi is the best hotel experience we have had in all our travels. We vsiited during Ramadan when it was very quiet which suited us immensely. I cannot pinpount one standout for this establishment because it was the sum of all parts that made our stay so wonderful. The greeting on arrival was genuine and followed through by every staff member, the decor in the lobby is exceptional and set the tone for us. We were given an upgrade which was to a suite. The suites are divine, soft sheets, large bed, huge living area and a very special bathroom with a sunken stone bath, including Aqua Di Parma products.There was also a private balcony with sunlounge and chairs and table. The room came with a complimentary mini bar and 3 decanters of good quality spirits to have a GnT, Scotch or Vodka, lime and soda sundowner.I am unsure if this was because of Ramadan or normal for the hotel. The pool by the beach was cool enough to be refreshing and the service was first class. The best thing was the restaurant. Only one was open at this time but it was exceptional food.I could go on and on which is boring so will finish on saying we will return to The Chedi without doubt for a mini break without children next year. They did have an issue with their wifi, which initially was annoying but actually made us relax more. There is a library, a fabulous gym with new machines and a very lovely day spa. A stay at the Chedi won't be cheap but it will blow your mind.

Room Tip: Our friends had a beach view room which was lovely but we liked our "zen" water garden vie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy M
Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Andy M,

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you very much for staying with us and reviewing your stay at The Chedi Muscat.

It is very rewarding to read that you particularly enjoyed the high quality of the suite room you were given, the amenities you mentioned are provided all year round. I am glad that you were able to truly relax in our zen surroundings and also apologize for the problems we were experiencing with our WiFi.

The team will relish receiving your wonderful comments, thank you.

Please feel free to contact me personally to arrange your future mini-break.

With warm regards from sunny Oman,

London
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I was travelling with my elderly father who is a bit forgetful at times. I informed the staff and they made a wonderful effort to be friendly and helpful to him and make him feel at home. everyone without exception had our comfort and enjoyment at heart. so thank you for making us feel so welcome. I would definitely return. the hotel facilities etc are amazing and the place is ideal for a peaceful and calm holiday.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Screenname40,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your enjoyment of your stay with us. It was indeed a great pleasure being of service to you all, especially your father who the team found utterly charming.

I am so pleased to read that you would like to stay with us again and encourage you to contact me directly using my e-mail address below to make a reservation if you so wish.

With Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Wow, what a weekend. We loved the Chedi, we stayed there for a weekend getaway and had a deal on booking.com, and every bit of it was fab. The venue is absolutely amazing, Arabic in influence but not overtly, and even though we were in the most basic room it was still lovely, I can only imagine what the suites and villas are like. The long pool is the best pool I have ever seen, and I did a yoga class with a lovely instructor. We based ourselves at the adult pool as the long pool doesn't have shade, and experienced great service and great food at the restaurant there. The breakfast is the best I have seen in a hotel, and in the Middle East that's saying something. We ate at the beach restaurant which gets full as only has a few tables outside, so reserve if you want to eat outside which is worth it for the fire pits. My husband also had a medical issue and had to have an ambulance called, and the hotel were amazing, sending someone with us to the hospital and a car to get us which they didn't charge us for. They also left a fruit basket in the room as a get well present. Obviously as its a five star the food is very expensive and you can't really go anywhere locally for a nice meal, but this is the only draw back, if you're prepared to spend you can have a fabulous time.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room, the ones on the other side have no view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Julia Bahrain,

It gives the team at The Chedi Muscat and I great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. It is our aim to have this affect on all our guests, leaving you relaxed and refreshed.

It is a shame your husband was unwell during your holiday but I hope he is now feeling much better.

We truly hope that you will choose to spend your vacation with us again in the future so that we may pamper you both in luxury.

With Kindest regards from Muscat,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I had to go to Muscat for business trip and meetings which we held in the hotel board room. Check in was ok and then walk up to room, via, lift, was not what I expected. Its the middle of summer so corridors very hot as only split A/C units. Room was well appointed but really cold with tiled floors and no carpets. Shower good and Nespresso machine for coffee was nice treat. Beds were comfortable and soft cotton sheets so pleasant sleep. Dinner was nice and relaxing in good ambiance. Breakfast was ok but food is spread out over the restaurant and not the traditional buffet style. Lunch was fine too and good quality. The service in restaurant was good but not so good at the front desk as they spent more attention to their mobile phones than bona fide guests. Guess I got the wrong shift?? I never used any of the facilities so cannot comment on them. All in all the stay was very quiet and perfect for my meetings but would have liked to had an extended check out. As the Lead Organiser who booked the three rooms I was told my check out was 12 noon, and this was an issue. My two colleagues were extended until 4pm and no alternative was offered to me, this was disappointing as I was leaving at 6pm for airport and a shower and change of clothes would have been welcome.

Room Tip: Go for the higher rooms and book online for better deals.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear SentosaDubai_UAE,

Thank you kindly for spending the time to give your review of your experience at The Chedi Muscat.

I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations regarding the communication of your late check out. Furthermore I am disappointed to hear that the service you received in the reception was not up to our expected high standards.

Guest feedback such as you have provided, is our most valuable means of monitoring our service and is the only way of achieving and maintaining excellence as it is our goal to provide an exceptional experience each and every time. Rest assured that we will take the appropriate measures to address these issues to avoid any recurrences in the future.

In the future the entire team at The Chedi Muscat would like another opportunity to welcome you back to impress you at every turn.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for a reservation or any additional assistance needed using my e-mail address below.

Again, thank you kindly for your comments, they are invaluable.

Markus Iseli,
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Most fantastic check-in I've ever had! Lovely, accommodating staff. The decor and ambience of the hotel is like being in a spa! Well worth the visit. A proper five-star hotel that I will definitely be returning to!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Aisling C
Dear Aisling C,

We are most grateful for your generously complimentary review and we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the luxurious look and feel of the hotel. We would be honored to welcome you back once again to stay with us with an equally impressive experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally via my e-mail address below to make a reservation at any time.

With Kindest Regards from sunny Muscat,

Dubai
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I found the service of this hotel far below expectations, especially when taking into consideration its price level.
There are a few positives, which I am happy to point out as well:
- design is nice and thy makes the fest impression positive. The main restaurant is also having a nice ambiance.
- room size
- amenities provided

Unfortunately, the negatives far outweigh the positives:
- on too many occasions the staff was just plain rude; or at the least I can say very impolite. Some examples: I walked into the restaurant twice. They asked a question about my room and when I answered I got ignored. No mentioning of "welcome" or anything close to that- no the staff just walks away and you will have to guess that you are supposed to follow them to the table. The hostess was too lazy to lift up her feet and just slides her feet over the floor.
- no wifi in restaurant and when my friend came to see me for a chat in the lobby he had to pay OMR 5 for logging in. Seems Chedi has not yet reached 2014 and maybe still lives in 90's.
- many times when I saw a staff walking around I was the one to initiate to do a greeting, but many times I did not even get a reply!
- room cleaning was of bad quality and I found several dirty items from previous guests..one of them too dirty to mention

- the reception and concierge are clueless to what activities one can do in Oman. They did not come much further then "check the souq". There was clearly no interest from their side to provide a great stay. Every question I asked they made me feel as if I am bothering them.

The food is very average and considering the atrocious prices they charges it becomes very unreasonable to dine there. I would be happy to pay for great food, but they charge near Michelin prices for brasserie food.

I must unfortunately say that the Millenium in Muscat provided much better service for 30% of the price.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Rinstory67
Chedimuscat, General Manager at The Chedi Muscat – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Rinstory67,
Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review and share your feelings and observations during your stay at The Chedi Muscat. Guest feedback as such you have provided, is our most valuable means of monitoring our service and is the only way of achieving and maintaining excellence as providing a perfect experience for each and every guest is our goal.

I am glad to note that whilst you enjoyed the design, the main restaurant, the room and the amenities we have provided, I sincerely apologize that in some areas we failed to meet your service level requirement from some of our staff in the restaurant and that you were not delighted with your experience at the reception and concierge. I am very sad you did not come forward while on property which I am confident that a mutual beneficial solution could have been found to turn your stay with us a pleasantly memorable one.

Please be assured that these issues concerning your feedback has been already addressed through a refresher course training for our staff on effective guest interaction.

Once again please accept my sincere apology for disappointing you. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to reverse the impression of your last stay and visit us again in the future.