“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Great service, staff were extremely helpful. Fantastic pool area, kids loved it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AMarghub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a few nights in March- vacation was more sightseeing Muscat and the culture, not a beach trip.

POSITIVES:
beautiful hotel and architecture
room was large and luxurious

CONS:
service was ridiculously slow - my dad had shirts and pants dry cleaned and pressed, they were never returned when they said they would be and we had to call multiple times in order to get them to bring them back. we asked concierge to make dinner reservations, they never followed through. we needed a package shipped through DHL, they sent it to the wrong address. little things add up, in my opinion, when you are paying five star prices and don't get five star service.

food was only mediocre, for the price i was paying i expected much higher quality meals, especially from the italian restaurant, Tuscany.

We had a bad experience with Mark tours, whom the hotel arranged to get us a car/driver through. The driver discriminated against us, blatantly, and I was very offended.

Although naturally beautiful, each was dirty: cigarette butts and trash everywhere. No chairs on the beach either.

Overall, this hotel has five star prices but the quality and service just does not match up. If you are vacationing to the middle east, I would suggest sticking to Dubai. If you are going to Muscat, definitely try a different hotel, unless you can get a really good deal on a room here it is definitely not worth the high price!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank spottedstripe
Seria, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 13 March 2011

The Hotel is located right next to beach, and if you have one of the corner or sea facing rooms, it is really beautiful in the morning. The rooms are big and spacious.
The rooms give a feel of royalty with carvings on bed and chairs.

In my 2 visits during the month, I had an option to stay in two different sides of the hotel. The rooms on the lower lever are not that good. There are couple of restaurants inside the hotel. Good variety of food at Mokha Cafe. The pool side restaurant is also a good choice, but though has lots of flies coming in from sea beach in the evening

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to other people.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Albela_Musafir
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 March 2011

This was the last stop on a long business trip and this hotel was exactly what the weary business traveller wants to see. Lovely rooms with all the trappings, comfortable beds and lush pillows, great room service menu. Staff friendly and helpful, breakfast buffet fantastic. Perhaps the best feature is the pool which has a swim up bar, nice when it is boardring 130 degrees out, there is also a beach which is nice as well. This hotel is in the diplomatic enclave, so maybe not the best for touring, but staff will always be on hand to help hail a cab to get to where you need.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Christoph_Franzen, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Muscat, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear CJS07 Tripadvisor Member

Good evening from enchanting Muscat and many thanks for sharing your feedback with us the the Tripadvisor community.

We are thrilled about your feedback and I will certainly share your experience with the rest of our team. It is always motivational for us to receive positive comments.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should I ever be able to be of assistance with any upcoming stay you may have. I can be contacted via christoph.franzen@hyatt.com at your convenience.

With warm regards,

St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2011

The staff at the Grand Hyatt are helpful and pleasant and there for whatever you need. The hotel is spotless and the facilities good but! I have some mobility problems and there seemed to be steps everywhere! We had a club room which I would recommend because the facility of the club lounge was a real bonus, food 3 times a day, drinks all day and a computer room for club guests use, but it did mean we could not use the lift to get down to pool level. We had to either walk down the stairs and through the Mokka Cafe or we had to walk across the lobby and change lifts! It was a very small thing but became irritating. The other problem they have is that the majority of beds around the pool lose the sun about 2pm, there are plenty further down on the grass but that area also seemed to have lots of flies. On a positive the pool bar serves good food and the most amazing melon and mint drinks.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank floridacool
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I travelled twice to Muscat in the last 2 months and stayed both times at the Grand Hyatt.
It is definitly one of the top rated hotels in Muscat, but unfortunately there are a few details that were disappointing at those stays and have to be highlighted and should not happen in this high price category (350 - 450 Euro/night)
First the positive things, the staff is well trained and very nice!!! The pool area is nice and the beach ok.
Everything is clean and the rooms are well equipped, but I think this HAS to be fine for this high price.
We had lunch and dinner 3 times, first night the Tuscany restaurant was also quite expensive and the worst food I got in Oman out of 2 weeks in the country. Also the food at the pool restaurant was disappointing and not what you should expect at a Grand Hyatt.
But I am very sorry to say that, the location of the room was UNACCEPTABLE, just above the kitchens back entrance, very noisy almost all night, but the worst was the bad smell the whole time, night and day, I accept there has to be a back entrance, but it is a shame that rooms are sold there for this price!!!!!!! According to the staff there was no possibillity to get any other room.
I stay at 5* hotels almost 100 nights per year and this is my first bad review ever!
Again I am sorry for the nice staff but I can not recommend the Hyatt in Muscat, I am sure there are better hotels around.

Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank franzrocks
Christoph_Franzen, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Muscat, responded to this review, 5 March 2011
Dear "franzrocks" Tripadvisor Member

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your honest and unbiased feedback; it is through comments like yours that we are able to see the shortfalls in our operation and ensure the same are not repeated. I must admit that I also would expect more from any five star hotel when reading your comments.

Unfortunately I am not sure about the location of your room; as we do not have any kitchen entrances facing to the exterior guest area of the hotel. If you would be able to give me any additional information I would be more than happy to investigate further and rectify any problems so the same is not repeated.

I am sorry to hear about your dining experience at Tuscany, it is considered the countries leading Italian restaurant and has won numerous awards over the years. I would be more than happy to have you as our guest in our fine dining Italian outlet as I am sure we will be able to convince you of the superior service and quality of food on offer.

I would like to personally take care of your next stay should you return to Muscat, therefore please feel free to contact me directly for anything you may need in the future. I can be reached on christoph.franzen@hyatt.com and I would love to hear from you.

I am glad to read that you commented positively about our staff, I will certainly share your feedbak with the team.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to write about your experience and I do hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.

I remain with my best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I had to travel to Oman on business for one night and decided to stay at the Grand Hyatt because it is an international chain. The Grand Hyatt in Oman is unlike other Hyatt hotels that I have stayed in, in the sense that it's not as modern. It was good and clean and is more of a resort for families and tourists rather than a business hotel but at least I got what I needed, which was a good night of sleep before checking out in the early morning and heading out for my meetings. All in all it's a good hotel if you're staying in Oman for a vacation rather than business, and is in a nice safe area and just 15-20 min away from the airport.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank busstraveler85
Christoph_Franzen, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Muscat, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member and Grand Hyatt Muscat Guest

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for your genuine and candid feedback with regards to your last stay with us.

My team will be happy to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and it is though their dedicated work and commitment that we hopefully are able to exceed most guests expectations.

Should you ever return to Muscat we would be happy to welcome you once more to our Grand Hyatt and if you require any assistance or have additional comments you would like to share with me feel free to do so; I can be contacted on christoph.franzen@hyatt.com at your convenience.

We wish you safe travels to wherever business and leisure tales you and remain with our best wishes.

Warm regards,