“Could not fault this hotel”

Majan Continental Hotel
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Muscat
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Could not fault this hotel”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Arrived st Muscat Airport in the morning on May 11th. No car to meet us as arranged. THIS IS MY ONLY COMPLAINT!!! That was compensated by a huge apology and a room upgrade. From then on everything was perfect. The staff were very professional but friendly,nothing was too much trouble for them. Compliments to the Chef because every meal we had,we thoroughly enjoyed. Yes it was a bit of a walk from the lift to the room, but this was not a problem at all.Would certainly not dream of complaining about it. The room was perfect with tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was excellent. We had a room overlooking the pool,so very peaceful. My friend and I had a really good nights sleep all the time we were there. The beds and pillows were really comfortable. Everything was ultra clean throughout the Hotel. Supermarket within Walking distance also The Grand Mosque. ( Well worth a visit ).Although a bit off the beaten track,I would go back to this hotel with no hesitation. The Hotel provided us with complimentry transport back to the airport on May 18th.
Thankyou for a very enjoyable stay Majan Continental. We hope to return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank shelaghstrom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 May 2013

First time at the Majan on business and I decided to stay here because of its' proximity to Seeb Road and the new Expressway. The hotel is tucked away somewhat and you need a car or taxi to get anywhere. On arrival from the airport by taxi I booked a car for delivery at 0830 the following morning to start work. No Show, so eventually I had to Taxi back to the airport to pick up a rental. This reflected badly on the hotel, but there's more to come.

The room was a long walk from the reception area and I had to ask for directions; never an encouraging thing after check-in to any hotel. No problem normally because I am not averse to exercise but I would have liked to know where I was headed in the direction of my room. Every step had me wondering. Eventually an helpful pool attendant (yes, pool attendant because the signage took me to the pool), assisted me. The a/c was off and the room was cozy i.e. very small, and by the same standards the bathroom was tiny. Remember this is supposed to be a 4* hotel. The up-side being that the bed was large and comfortable but I would have preferred a quieter, more controllable a/c and flat screen TV. There was no hotel directory in the room and no laundry bag. The fridge was empty and there were no nibbles as one would expect. There were two small bottles of drinking water, full amrks for that at least.

The restaurant buffet supper spread was OK but certainly not 4* standard. The hotel lobby shop (where I made my abortive rental car request) had no nibbles or chocolate bars etc. but pointless tacky bits. How strange!

I could go on but my recommendation would simply be to give the Majan a miss.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Muscat hotels

London, UK
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I wouldn't recommend this hotel - I recently made my first trip to Oman on business. I chose this hotel because it was near the office of the firm who we were partnering with and they recommended it - that was a mistake.

I arrived quite late having flown in from the UK and endured the visa queue at Muscat Airport. The receptionist completely lacked interest and was indifferent. I had to ask for everything including going back for an (expensive) internet log in and asking someone to check the room as it smelt musty and a little smokey although it was meant to be no smoking. The only plus was the room was large and it had quite a pleasent view towards the large nearby mosque. Otherwise the hotel has little to commend other than it's proximity to the office I was using (which was walkable at the time of year I visited) and a reasonable evening buffet I tried one night.

I had a number of issues during my stay:
- dull breakfast lacking choice and often overrun by tour groups on a one night stop over to / from the airport
- iffy electrifics - I tripped the fusebox for my room once.
- intermittent wifi, to say the least, and overpriced.
- miserable bar hidden away.
- whilst some receptionists were better they were poor at communicating - there was total confusion when I was leaving on their airport shuttle and when I once needed a taxi I ended up walking over to the main road to hail one rather than wait for them to sort it out.

I am shortly returning to Oman on business and I am trying a hotel further into the city and closer to other attractions...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SJS15
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 10 March 2013

this hotel is like in the middle of dessert, you cant reach it without a car.
i arrived here at about two am in the morning, i've request for hotel pick up but not showing. went there by taxi and the reception looks angry to me since they say that their driver already wait for me for one hour. hey, its not my fault, its airlines fault.
but they give me free night for that night since i arrived early in the morning.
room is ok and mine got a swiiming pool viev, service also ok, and breakfast also good too. for internet, you got only one hourer day, carzy. the only problem is you cannot go anywhere whithout caf. there is a small convinience store with some coffe shop 10 minutes walk from hotel and thats helping alot.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 March 2013

First of all, I would like to make it clear that High Speed Internet is NOT FREE NOR CHEAP in this hotel. I came here on business on March 4th, for only one night. WHat I came to is a room that STINKS of smoke and humidity, a telephone that doesn't work, and an internet which you have to pay for to connect. Not only that, but you have to go to the "Business Centre" to buy your internet access code each time.

When I complained to the staff the only thing they told me was "This is not us, it is management". I am so disappointed in this hotel, I would not recommend to anyone staying here. Oh and by the way, my room is tiny, with two single beds (I am a bot overweight and these beds are puny) and the rate is 60 OR (150 USD a night) That my friends is not cheap. HILTON HOTEL in Sharjah charges 450 AED a night, which is just over $ 120 USD. This hotel claims to have 4 stars, I would say 3 is too many, 2 -1/2 is about right.

One final comment, the TV is attached to the wall, way up on the wall. So if you sit at the computer desk to work and you look up, the picture is not clear at all. you don't see colours, but shades and images moving around on the tv screen. Really stupid place to place it.

I for one will not come back here, and I recoomend you spend a little more and get a decent place to rest after work!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Life is full of surprises. Sometimes things go happy happy. Sometimes, sad things happen. And sometimes... Weird things happen. In my life, weird things happen most of the time. This is one of such incidents.
Back in July 2010, during my summer vacation, my dad planned a two month trip to India, as usual. Even though there were some speculations regarding Air India flight, my dad booked three tickets for our family. Unlike the previous years, our main objective was to meet my sister who was doing her higher studies in Kerala. Our plan was to reach India on the 11th of July. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. We took off from Abu Dhabi, but due to some flight defaults, we had to land somewhere nearby. We landed in Muscat!
Though at first we were asked to stay in the airport, when the people started doing a minor riot, the officials in the airport were willing to let us stay in Majan Continental Hotel until the flight was repaired. Even though the whole 'stay in Muscat' situation was a bit freaky, I ended up having a nice time in the hotel. It was a magnificent experience! The service of the staff, the food and accommodation were great. Rooms were splendid, and the beds were cozy.
We visited the hotel by accident, but we had a great time. To get a better experience, the best time of the year to visit Oman and to stay in the hotel is between October and April, when the weather is pleasantly warm in the day and cool in the evening.
On the evening of the 13th July, we left the hotel and continued our trip to India. Although I'm not fond of the date 13, as I feel it's an unlucky number, it always brings me and my family luck. And ‘luck’ favored us again. Without any other problems, we landed safely in Cochin the next day.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Joel_Jv
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We have arrived to Muscat airport at 5 am and decided to stay in this hotel just for a short sleep before check-out. Besides free transfer from airport (takes approximately 10-15 minutes) hotel has 24-hour desk thus giving you ability to check-in at any time and gives you a great option to have such short sleep for reasonable money.

For those who travel to Muscat for the first time it is a good hotel choice closer to airport if you arrive early in the morning. Besides this one is really close to Grand Mosque, which you could visit the next day morning if you wish.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muscat
Johny International Hotel
#21 of 52 in Muscat
Tulip Inn Muscat
Tulip Inn Muscat
#16 of 52 in Muscat

Been to Majan Continental Hotel? Share your experiences!