“POOR service; no lift”
Review of Beach Hotel

Beach Hotel
Ranked #55 of 61 Hotels in Muscat
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel has the worst service I have had in a long time. There is no lift, but they do not inform elderly visitors. There was no wifi in the room! Only one light worked, but they did bring a second one after we complained. The gadget for changing the AC was partly broken. The steps on the deep side of the swimming pool had no rubber on them. GREAT LOCATION, though, as it is within walking distance from the beach with lots of coffee shops, hair dressers, and even mail nail salons.

Room Tip: Book an apartment downstairs if you do not want to climb the stairs. Ask beforehand if their wifi h...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Abraham R

Reviewed 4 April 2014

A great location with being so close to Shatti al Qurum. The beach made for wonderful strolls as the sun was going down each day. Coffee shops and restaurants nearby were great and provided welcome relief from the heat. The hotel needs a little TLC around the edges but rooms were clean, staff was nice and breakfast was accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy and Mark E
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

The room needs upgrading tv not good it is an old box thing and no English channels on it Internet only work when I was out side near pool.
over all needs a big face lift ......................................................................

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mart25103623
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have had a lot of experience of visiting and living in the Middle East, and in general try to choose a budget hotel for my stay. I know what to expect, and what not to expect from a budget hotel in this region, and am generally just looking for a place to sleep whilst exploring the country.

In this case I made a big mistake. The price on the booking site is that of a mid-range hotel in the Gulf, so I was expecting a reasonable standard. What I got was dirty walls, water that doesn't flow out of the bath, then when it does comes up through the drains in the floor, a cracked toilet, a swimming pool with the colour of milk, and a breakfast selection that was bizarre. I was not at all impressed. Finally on check out the staff informed me that the prices on the booking website do not include taxes (not stated on the website) and thus the bill was 20% more. For this price you can find a room in a much nicer hotel in the same location. Save yourself, don't stay in this hotel for any reason.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank PaulG-UK-solo
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Its not the best hotel but it has the best staff. They are amazing. Anything else is ok: room is clean, internet its working, breakfast is good. We needed the room only to rest, not to live for the rest of our lives.

Its very good positioned.

So go there.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cezar V
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I booked four rooms at this hotel for my family. They messed up my reservation. I had a printed confirmation for four rooms with 2 single beds in each. when I arrived there were only 3.
There is no elevator. We had to carry our bags up three floors.
There was no water at all the first night. No taps, no shower, no toilet. I asked them what the issue was, the receptionist shrugged and blamed the government. Never in my life have I been to a hotel where there was no water. After making a fuss, a worker showed up at my door with two little bottle of water. It was horrible but Muscat was full for the festival so we couldn't find another suitable hotel.
The breakfast was horrible and there weren't enough seats for my family. They served cold bread, eggs, and two different kinds of curry.
I do not recommend staying there at all. I met an elderly European couple who confirmed that the water had been on and off for four days. The receptionist confirmed that it had been going on for years and was rather rude and unapologetic about it. Truly horrible experience. There are much cheaper hotels in Muscat (Samara, Rotana, etc) that offer clean rooms, a hot shower, and decent breakfast. Take my advice and avoid the Beach Hotel until they sort out their water problem and service.

Room Tip: If you're forced to stay there, ask for a room on the ground floor if you're not able to car...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SusanAlShahri
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel is located in the worst possible position in Muscat. It sits on a drag racing strip where every petrol head in Muscat is looking to test their new Nissan Skyline with custom drilled 'holes' in their exhaust. Cars (and motorbikes) would race a quarter mile, turn around come back to the hotel intersection lights - then run again The drag racing only stopped after about 4am each morning, but by 630am morning traffic had started. We didn't sleep for 6 days. The rooms have poor security and our doors and locks looked like they had been kicked in a few times. Only half the light bulbs worked in our 2 bedroom apartment. The fridge wasnt cold and there was no cooking gear in the kitchen (though reception lent me a frying pan when I asked). Toilets struggled to flush and I resorted to using the bidet hose to assist in flushing the toilet I lost power a few times and nearly got electrocuted by sparks coming from one light switch.The WIFI cuts in and out depending where you are in the room.. On the up side the staff at reception were friendly. The breakfast is OK but nothing special..We saw the waiter take some uneaten bread off one plate someone had left and put it back in the buffet (my daughter promptly stopped eating her bread when we saw this - unbelievable!!) this place is certainly not a 3 star (if that's what it was?) I'd give it 1 or 2 max. I won't be returning here ever.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family