“A very special place”
Review of Hopewell Lodge

Hopewell Lodge
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is a fantastic private game reserve. I cannot recommend it highly enough! The staff are so cheerful, smiling and attentive. The ranger Anthony and the tracker Paul are most informative and interesting. The drives through the reserve were fascinating and we saw all the animals at very close range. Everywhere you look is picturesque. We started with tea on the verandah overlooking the watering hole, but when I was shown to my lodge I could not believe how gorgeous it was. The rooms are spacious and so tastefully decorated, from the smallest item of art to the luxurious bath, where you can lie back and gaze over the infinity pool down to the watering hole where the elephants stroll past.....yes honestly its a paradise. The food is excellent, the chef could not have been more obliging. I hope to return one day. It would be the perfect place to go with friends for a special birthday or anniversary. There is not one single thing I can think of that could have improved my stay at Hopewell. I took hundreds of photos. If you are considering staying here, I promise you will not regret it.

Room Tip: The infinity pool is beautiful, and overlooking the watering hole.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Carrie239

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our fifth visit - this time four four nights with our family - six adults, 4 children aged 6 - 11. Many thanks to all staff - John for providing special children's meals, and 'haute cuisine' for adults with fine wines, a bush lunch, birthday cake for my wife (70) and granddaughter (8) on our last full day. To Monica,Mary and Monica for housekeeping, Paulie for tracking and Antony, manager/ranger, for his undivided attention, amazing game drives, teaching the children so many things about the animals and birds and how to recognise their tracks. Our sole occupancy of the lodge and suites - all a unique experience, and lastly to Thabo the cheetah for compliance in allowing us all to stroke him on our last game drive. Luxury five star in every way.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent but private suites wonderful with own plunge pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JCsuperstar2014
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at Hopewell in February 2014. On arrival I was greeted so warmly by the Manager Anthony who's hospitality throughout the stay was attentive & informative. He was a superb host and the chef John, maids Mary and Monica and ranger Paulie all made the stay exquisite with great attention to detail. I stayed in the Zebra suite, I was overwhelmed with the exquisite layout, decor, positioning, view and ambience of the suite and immediately felt that I never wanted to leave! My view was over the watering hole and the water buck were on full display. The food, meals and service were all superb, the game drives were wonderful and we saw so much, so close. The landscape was really interesting and surrounded by lush green hills, so peaceful and perfect. At the lodge we were treated to a visit by the cheetah! He licked my hand as I sat in complete awe! I have been to a 5* game reserve in Kruger before but Hopewell goes beyond 'stars' in my opinion, it is a corner of paradise. At the lodge they make you feel so at home you will never want to leave, the private lodge and personal service make it truly unique. If you get the opportunity to stay here then DO. I fully intend to return again with my family in the not too distant future. You are a wonderful team, thank you so much for making my stay so very special!

Room Tip: ALL the suites were amazing! We got a tour of them all!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AminahG
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have returned every year for the past 13 years, this really is a home in the bush. Totally exclusive, peaceful and relaxing. The staff are wonderful and this is a place to put your feet up, write, paint, read and explore. without fail there is always something new to see and to witness the evolution and rehabilitation of such a wonderfully unique place is precious indeed.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tydog
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at Hopewell for 4 nights in December 2014, we couldn't have been looked after better from the moment we arrived until the sad time of our departure, the hospitality was very special, the food delicious and the Accomodation luxurious. The morning and evening safaris were amazing and we saw all kinds of amazing animals in their natural habitat. 5 stars indeed, a beautiful place.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I never leave reviews whether good bad or indifferent but could not leave Hopewell without writing about it as the service was exceptional.

Wow what a fantastic stay Hopewell Lodge is truly unique. Having stayed in many other luxury hotels and lodges there really is something that sets Hopewell apart and that is the attitude and the fantastic team there, in a nutshell it really is a home from home albeit with Giraffe, Cheetah and many other animals wandering around in your rather large garden.

The Staff are really fantastic and looked after our every need making our stay a truly memorable one. Thank you Anthony, Karin(hope I spelt this correctly), John, Monica, Mary and Paulie. Not forgetting everyone else! Thank you.

The rooms are amazing and the relaxed attitude due to the lack of some of the more aggressive animals (lion, leopard, baboon) etc made it even more of a pleasure as you did not have to be chaperoned (apart from the Children) and meeting Tabu the Cheetah was also truly magical and the reason we needed to keep an eye on the kids.

The set up an amazing NYE party in the Boma for us although 50% of the party were ill due to a bug from previous travels (nothing to do with Hopewell).

On our return our transfer failed to turn up and we were quite close to missing our flight from Port Elizabeth but Anthony and Paulie managed to get us to the Airport in time for our flight, no easy task as there were eight of us and luggage, so a massive thank you to Anthony and Paulie for going beyond the call of duty there.

Hopefully we will be back again we will certainly be recommending you to all.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We spent a few days at Hopewell Lodge recently and had the most wonderful time! The lodge and the suites are beautiful and luxurious, with great views over a watering hole and the surrounding bush. Anthony and the rest of the team were wonderful and did everything they could to make our stay as memorable as possible, and the meals John prepared were delicious. We particularly liked having the whole place to ourselves so could really enjoy the peace and quiet, and could tailor the days to suit our preferences. We saw a lot of different animals during our stay thanks to Paulie's excellent tracking skills, and we particularly enjoyed our encounters with the cheetahs. We hope to be back!!
Carol and Paul

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colchester
Sibuya Game Reserve: 4 -Star Luxury Tented Camps and Lodge
Happy Jackal Guest House
Happy Jackal Guest House
#3 of 9 in Colchester
Sundune Guest House & Self-Catering

Been to Hopewell Lodge? Share your experiences!