“The perfect ending for my SA trip”
Review of Hopewell Lodge

Hopewell Lodge
Sao Paulo, SP
“The perfect ending for my SA trip”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Hopewell can only be described as a corner of paradise (quoting another reviewer). It is such a magical place, with impeccable accommodations decorated to perfection and class and with personalized game drives with amazing viewings of rhinos, hippos, water buffaloes, elephants, zebras, giraffes, hyenas, jackals, and a one of kind experience of walking with a Tabu, a cheetah. The staff makes one feel at home from the beginning, from the Manager (Anthony) to the chef (John), to the ranger (Paulie) to the cleaning staff (Mary and Monica), everyone caters to one´s every whim and wishes. It is probably the only game lodge where you will have the entire staff and lodge for yourself. They have a policy of only having one guest at a time, which makes the experience that much more personalized and incredible. If you are looking for personalized treatment at a perfect location with the most professional and warm staff, and with great viewings of animals in the wild (and as I said walking with a cheetah!!!) then Hopewell is your place! Thank you so much for making this experience the perfect and dream ending for our SA trip. This is a very special place that we hope we can go back in the future.

Room Tip: Every lodge is AMAZING. They have 4 lodges if I am not mistaken, we stayed at the buffalo lodge and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank gomeza04

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is a fantastic private game reserve. I cannot recommend it highly enough! The staff are so cheerful, smiling and attentive. The ranger Anthony and the tracker Paul are most informative and interesting. The drives through the reserve were fascinating and we saw all the animals at very close range. Everywhere you look is picturesque. We started with tea on the verandah overlooking the watering hole, but when I was shown to my lodge I could not believe how gorgeous it was. The rooms are spacious and so tastefully decorated, from the smallest item of art to the luxurious bath, where you can lie back and gaze over the infinity pool down to the watering hole where the elephants stroll past.....yes honestly its a paradise. The food is excellent, the chef could not have been more obliging. I hope to return one day. It would be the perfect place to go with friends for a special birthday or anniversary. There is not one single thing I can think of that could have improved my stay at Hopewell. I took hundreds of photos. If you are considering staying here, I promise you will not regret it.

Room Tip: The infinity pool is beautiful, and overlooking the watering hole.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Carrie239
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our fifth visit - this time four four nights with our family - six adults, 4 children aged 6 - 11. Many thanks to all staff - John for providing special children's meals, and 'haute cuisine' for adults with fine wines, a bush lunch, birthday cake for my wife (70) and granddaughter (8) on our last full day. To Monica,Mary and Monica for housekeeping, Paulie for tracking and Antony, manager/ranger, for his undivided attention, amazing game drives, teaching the children so many things about the animals and birds and how to recognise their tracks. Our sole occupancy of the lodge and suites - all a unique experience, and lastly to Thabo the cheetah for compliance in allowing us all to stroke him on our last game drive. Luxury five star in every way.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent but private suites wonderful with own plunge pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JCsuperstar2014
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at Hopewell in February 2014. On arrival I was greeted so warmly by the Manager Anthony who's hospitality throughout the stay was attentive & informative. He was a superb host and the chef John, maids Mary and Monica and ranger Paulie all made the stay exquisite with great attention to detail. I stayed in the Zebra suite, I was overwhelmed with the exquisite layout, decor, positioning, view and ambience of the suite and immediately felt that I never wanted to leave! My view was over the watering hole and the water buck were on full display. The food, meals and service were all superb, the game drives were wonderful and we saw so much, so close. The landscape was really interesting and surrounded by lush green hills, so peaceful and perfect. At the lodge we were treated to a visit by the cheetah! He licked my hand as I sat in complete awe! I have been to a 5* game reserve in Kruger before but Hopewell goes beyond 'stars' in my opinion, it is a corner of paradise. At the lodge they make you feel so at home you will never want to leave, the private lodge and personal service make it truly unique. If you get the opportunity to stay here then DO. I fully intend to return again with my family in the not too distant future. You are a wonderful team, thank you so much for making my stay so very special!

Room Tip: ALL the suites were amazing! We got a tour of them all!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AminahG
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have returned every year for the past 13 years, this really is a home in the bush. Totally exclusive, peaceful and relaxing. The staff are wonderful and this is a place to put your feet up, write, paint, read and explore. without fail there is always something new to see and to witness the evolution and rehabilitation of such a wonderfully unique place is precious indeed.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tydog
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Hopewell for 4 nights in December 2014, we couldn't have been looked after better from the moment we arrived until the sad time of our departure, the hospitality was very special, the food delicious and the Accomodation luxurious. The morning and evening safaris were amazing and we saw all kinds of amazing animals in their natural habitat. 5 stars indeed, a beautiful place.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I never leave reviews whether good bad or indifferent but could not leave Hopewell without writing about it as the service was exceptional.

Wow what a fantastic stay Hopewell Lodge is truly unique. Having stayed in many other luxury hotels and lodges there really is something that sets Hopewell apart and that is the attitude and the fantastic team there, in a nutshell it really is a home from home albeit with Giraffe, Cheetah and many other animals wandering around in your rather large garden.

The Staff are really fantastic and looked after our every need making our stay a truly memorable one. Thank you Anthony, Karin(hope I spelt this correctly), John, Monica, Mary and Paulie. Not forgetting everyone else! Thank you.

The rooms are amazing and the relaxed attitude due to the lack of some of the more aggressive animals (lion, leopard, baboon) etc made it even more of a pleasure as you did not have to be chaperoned (apart from the Children) and meeting Tabu the Cheetah was also truly magical and the reason we needed to keep an eye on the kids.

The set up an amazing NYE party in the Boma for us although 50% of the party were ill due to a bug from previous travels (nothing to do with Hopewell).

On our return our transfer failed to turn up and we were quite close to missing our flight from Port Elizabeth but Anthony and Paulie managed to get us to the Airport in time for our flight, no easy task as there were eight of us and luggage, so a massive thank you to Anthony and Paulie for going beyond the call of duty there.

Hopefully we will be back again we will certainly be recommending you to all.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colchester
Kichaka Luxury Game Lodge
Kichaka Luxury Game Lodge
#1 of 4 in Grahamstown
Kariega Game Reserve - River Lodge
Kariega Game Reserve - Settlers Drift
Kariega Game Reserve - All Lodges
Sibuya Game Reserve & Tented Camp
HillsNek Safaris, Amakhala Game Reserve
HillsNek Safaris, Amakhala Game ...
#1 of 7 in Amakhala Game Reserve

Been to Hopewell Lodge? Share your experiences!