“Very good dinner”

Elephants Footprint Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Colchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We had dinner here twice. African cuisine cooked by french owners was excellent. We didn't stay here. So we can only write about dinner. The buffet was very good on one day. The second time we had zebra and kudu. The sweet potato gratin was also delicious.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 December 2012 via mobile

Extremely well placed at the south entrance of Addo Elephant Park, the hosts of this exceptional B&B offer no less than their best. They treat you to a variety of African plates with a french twist. The best cuisine in town. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and tidy. THe staff is also incredibly helpful. We found many interesting things to do thanks to their aid and organization. We highly recommend this B&B for all travellers with different expectations as they tailor everything to you!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 25 November 2012

It was an amazing stay at this lodge! Starting with the colorful tidy rooms (especially the relaxing bath we always took with a glass of wine in front of us.. :) ), good food and SA wine, and ending up with the excellent atmosphere created by the owners themselves! Cristophe and Isabelle, you are amazing people and the thing we liked best about you is that you are always able to transmit your wonderful attitude to each of your guest, taking good care of each of them. We will always recommend you! Good luck in the years to come!

Room Tip: every room offers the same conditions: very good. It is a very quite area, far from the highway.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I did not stay in the lodge. I stayed in Matyholwent Camp, inside the Addo Park However, since the sole restaurant in the Park is in the main camp - about 38 km from our camp - we went to the Elephants Footprint Lodge to have dinner twice.
It is close to the Southern entrance of the park. The restaurant is now run by a French family that decided to leave everything in France to settle in South Africa. They have been running the lodge since February 2012. I say that because I read some negative comments here.
They serve South African dishes and some French sides and desserts: French baked potatoes, ratatouille, flan parisien, Crème bruléee.
The food is very good! I recommend the South African Springbok Potjie and the Capaccio (Kudu and Wathog!). The prices are reasonable: 2 course meals, 130 rands -3 course meals, 150 rands.
They have a honesty bar. A bottle of wine costs 90 rands.
Isabelle is very nice and speaks English and French :-)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2012

What a fresh approach to customer service! the new owners (from France), Isabelle & Christoff are the perfects hosts - everything was ready as discussed when the booking was made, the rooms were perfect, loved the small detail and the food delicious!

Room Tip: keep left, number 7!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2011

The building looks like a luxurious game lodge, rahter than a guesthouse. The rooms are extremely spacious with a high "African type" ceiling, generously furnished with taste. The place is located on the edge of Addo Elephant National Park, almost next (2 km) to the south gate. There are no TV sets in the rooms, as the sound of the TV's would disturb other guests (!). Due to the structure of the reed roofs, the sound isolation is rather poor and one can hear his neighbor cough. The open structure bathroom and open air shower are just great.
The beds are too short, but very wide an equipped with an excellent mosquito net.
Full English breakfast on demand . The splash pool can be refreshing but does not look very inviting. The guest house has diner facility and offers a la cart or (when a group stays overnight) a buffet with typical South African food and meat.
We stayed 3 nights and payed ZAR 4.080.
We recommend this place in case one does not care for a TV set in the room, accept a ceiling ventilator as only device to give some "cooling" effect and does not bother on the noise of neighbors.
Suggestion: supply free earplugs, like we got in a Scottish B&B in the middle of a city. It worked out very well ;-)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2011

It saddens me to read the previous review and sincerely hope the writer considers to remove it because, in my humble opinion, the review seems rather personal.
Although I've never written a review about the many accommodations I visit; in this case I'll gladly make an exception. Why? If there is one Lodge that doesn't deserve a review like the previous one it's Elephants Footprint Lodge.

I've visited Elephants Footprint Lodge on many occasions over the past 5 years with the most demanding groups of guest and not once was the food anything less than perfect, the rooms anything less than impeccable and the service anything less than fantastic.

Without exception the host bends over backwards to accommodate any request they have and answer any question, no matter how silly they sometimes seem to me.

I'm sorry that they caught Geoff on a bad day; scorpion stings don't tend to bring out the best in people. The fact that he's still standing up straight doing what he loves most says a lot about the kind of person he is. And yes, this is Africa there are scorpions, big hairy spiders and poisonous snakes too, that's all part of the African adventure. The last two times I visited a game reserve last year I was bitten by a tick and got seriously sick but I won't blame the reserve for not posting warning signs.....

The Addo Park is not a zoo so it's impossible to say were in the park you shall see the most animals. It's just a matter of luck, being in the right place at the right time. Since Elephants are my favorite animal I feel privileged to be in a position to frequent the Addo Park whenever I feel like it. My findings,..... depending on the season, temperature, wind and recent rainfall all animals can be in any given part of the park. With so many variables every visit is different, suprising and I've always seen an variety of interesting animals. Which is the great thing about the Addo Park. With the diversity and quantity of animals living there only a blind man can miss them all. I've seen big herds of Elephants enjoying themselves in the water in the middle of the day and I've seen empty dam's early morning and vice versa.

My conclusion, Geoff on a bad day beats the average host of any other guesthouse on a good day and I look forward to my next visit on the 3rd of April. Only a few weeks to go until my next Elephants Footprint. Hope to hear the jackal cry again at night to put the cherry on top!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colchester
Dungbeetle River Lodge
Addo African Home
Addo African Home
#5 of 11 in Addo
Sundune Guest House & Self-Catering

Been to Elephants Footprint Lodge? Share your experiences!