Rancho Viejo Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$52
Los Fresnos Inn(Los Fresnos)
US$87
US$69
The Pecan Tree Motel(Brownsville)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$90
Residence Inn Brownsville(Brownsville)
US$156
US$143
All reviewssouth padre islanddouble doorsbreakfast was includedenjoyed our staywould definitely stay here againharlingenvillarosadaprivacysuite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We were in Brownsville for several days and held business meetings in the Rancho Viejo conference center. Having worked and traveled to Brownsville for more than 30 years, I was really pleasantly surprised to live and work here for three days. Rancho Viejo is an older golf resort that is very well maintained and responsive to changing times. The people at the front desk and the rest of the staff at Rancho Viejo were sincerely helpful. When you drive past the welcome hall and golf clubhouse into the villa area, you immediately see villas grouped around lakes with ducks, beautiful golf greens, palm trees lining the streets, and a general park like setting - tranquil, beautiful, and relaxing. The villas themselves are triplexes with a two story townhouse and two one story guest rooms on each side. The front of the units face the golf course and the rear of the units face the lakes, fountains, and bridges. When I arrived at my unit, I walked out on the terrace and was immediately spotted by some of the ducks and geese who wandered toward me for a quick meal. Unfortunately, all I had was some granola, but they seemed to like it. (Wow. Who would have thought to have healthy minded ducks here?)

The bed was very comfortable. I slept like a rock every night. Since the resort and villas have been there for decades, it is inevitable that something in the unit will go out or work differently than you think it should in 2013. One of our villas had a broken thermostat and they came right over and replaced it.

There is a nice fitness center above the clubhouse near the entrance and a really great restaurant and bar in the same complex. The menu and wine list at the restaurant were sophisticated and have some great selections. The bar was like a golf club should be - stocked with top shelf spirits, good selection of beer, comfortable leather seating, and great service.

The conference center has one HUGE ballroom that can easily be divided into smaller meetings or a huge wedding. The staff there were really fantastic to work with.

We did not see the pool and play area, so I can only say that this is a great place for adults to stay. It is definitely a golfer's heaven. However, the pictures and descriptions of the swimming pool, recreation rooms, and tennis courts lead me to believe the resort must be a great place to have fun also.

For business people, the amenities here are WiFi in every villa, spacious accommodations, relaxing atmosphere, close to everything in the Brownsville area and South Padre, fitness center, and great restaurant for yourselves and/or clients. The restaurant offers room service.

Having been here, I would never ever stay in any other hotel in Brownsville. I like the Rancho Viejo Resort very much and look forward to going back. I think you will like it too.

Room Tip: Rent a suite. They are so much nicer and spacious than the regular guest rooms. Rancho Viejo is not expensive compared to any other good hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank rwaites
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had heard nothing but good things about the Rancho Viejo Resort. I grew up in Brownsville, close to Olmito, and had a family wedding to attend this weekend. I currently live in Austin, and looking at their website, the photos of the rooms and pool were awesome. I just knew my 2 children ages 3 & 5 would love the pool.

We chose to stay in the Deluxe Standard room. On the website it listed the room as having; 2 queen beds, a table and chairs, microwave, and fridge upon request.

Upon driving up to the rooms (they look like one story townhomes). We were a bit taken aback. On the website the pictures shown are pics of white Mediterranean casitas, not old red brick townhouses. The driveway was littered with bird poop, there was a wasp nest over the walkway into the room, with active wasps flying over our heads.

We opened the door, and couldn't believe our eyes. There were 2 queen beds, hard as cement slabs, a bedside table with a phone, no lamp on it, no table, no chairs, and no microwave. We called the front desk and they sent over maintenance to bring us 1 table and 2 chairs. There was a cement slab outside on the uncovered patio, with no patio furniture. Hmmm, I bet there are more ammenities at a motel.

We went to the pool that day, and that made up for our experience a little. The grotto was nice, and the kids had a great time. We ordered dinner in our room, and the kids ate on the table with the two chairs provided, and my husband and I had to eat on the beds, since there was nowhere else to sit.

That night after giving the kiddos a bath and taking showers, we laid down on the cement slabs which were our beds, and turned off the TV and lights. That is when we heard loud water dripping and splashing. The water tank in the room off in a corner behind a an unlocked door was spilling over water and it was leaking out into the room! We called the front desk again, and they said that either we could move rooms at that time (it was midnight) or we could move in the morning. We decided to move in the morning since our kids were already asleep.

The next morning after walking around with crinks in our neck and back, we decided to move hotels completely. The staff was very gracious and only charged us $90 instead of the $120 it was booked for since we had maintenance issues.

I will never stay here again. It was awful. What I expect a motel to be. We moved to the Hampton Inn and Suites in Brownsville the next day, and the difference was night and day. We will be going there next time we have any family functions in the area.

Beware of the pics, they show only the villas, NOT the Deluxe Standard Rooms.

Also, even though the pool was awesome, it was a five minute drive from the rooms.

Room Tip: Unless you are upgrading and getting a villa or suite, DO NOT get a Deluxe Standard room, no furniture, and stripped down. We later learned that once rooms are booked, they move furniture from room to room! What?
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bcindy1
Reviewed 19 August 2013

By far the worst hotel experience! The website led us to believe we were getting a deluxe 1 bedroom with double beds, a table and chairs, a mini fridge and microwave. When we got our room, the room looked like it had been completely stripped! The only thing the room had was 2 beds that were so hard I could put a drink on it without worrying that it would spill! Very uncomfortable! There was a tv. But that was it!! There were bugs in the room due to a missing weatherstrip that should have been on the door. I noticed it the next morning unfortunately. There was a black bag with a hair dryer in it that was placed in front of the sink and it had someone else's toothpaste splatter on it! So gross!!! There were cobwebs hanging in the door entryway with lots of bugs trapped in it. They could have a least cleaned the doorway! We are not camping, this is supposed to be a resort!! We had to drive minutes away to get to the pool. Not convenient. The room card key hardly worked and had to call the front desk which was blocks away from our room to bring us another one. I drove to the front desk to complain, and they told me they just got under new management and they were working on things... Really? They did not offer to discount my room, only to find me a table and chairs so that I don't have to sit on the floor to eat. They also told me I had booked a "standard" room, not a " deluxe room". I was so upset at this point and told them their website suggested I was booking a deluxe room under the accommodations tab. They told me I had to click on the "book it" tab to get the real details on the room. First of all, why would I click on book it first before checking on their accommodations tab? Sure enough she clicked on accommodations and there is no mention on standard rooms!!! All they did was apologize, and again no offer to discount my room. I was fed up and told them my 2 night stay was only going to be the 1 that I already had. They said ok and still charged me for the full price for one night. And to make matters worse, I checked my credit card statement and was actually charged for both nights. I am dealing with that now. What a nightmare! Please don't waste your time or money here. Apparently ever since they have been under new management this year, this place has gone down. Sadly it was the reviews prior to this year that got us to book this hotel since it was mostly positive. On a side note, my sister and her family stayed directly across from us and their water heater leaked all night causing a puddle of water in their closet. A total nightmare!

Room Tip: Make sure when you are booking your room, to see the room your getting with the amenities. The websites accommodations page is different than their book it page.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Celeste B
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I have been to South Padre Island couple of times, but this time I was looking for something quite and peaceful as well as close to South Padre (within 1 hour). Found this resort and I'm glad that we stayed there. If you don't like too much crowd, this is the place you should consider. Green and quite. This resort also has a beautiful lake. The resort staffs are great. You will get all types of restaurants within 4-5 miles. Highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tanzir M
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Don't pay island prices and have a quaint and quiet place to relax at. The kitchen was fully equipped and the rooms had wonderful furnishings. Just what me and the hubby needed!

• Stayed: August 2011